Lent - Resisting temptation

You're on Page 3 of 5
Go to
  • Hi Bootsie, I love your signature saying!

I've miscounted. It's 33 days until Easter. I've been having temptation lately, and my doctor suggested to lay off of starchy carbs like bread. So that's what I'm doing. No more hamburgers and fries!
  • 32 days until Easter.

I felt so much better yesterday when I didn't eat any starchy food.

So far I've had an eggbeaters omelet today, will eat veggies and chicken for lunch and dinner.
  • For my 40 days of Lent which started on Ash Wednesday I gave up carbonated beverages. This is my 15th day without any carbonation. I still want a diet coke everyday but I can do this.
  • 31 days until Easter.
    I did great today with no high carbohydrate foods. This is a big deal for me! Not tempted for a change, thank God.
  • 30 days until Easter.

Since I've stopped eating bread and other refined carbohydrates, I feel better. I'm proud of myself, because initially, this wasn't easy.
  • 29 days until Easter.

No carbs, feeling good. Just came back from a long walk.
  • 28 days until Easter.

Since I've given up high carbs, I feel so much better. Thank you, Lord, for giving me this idea and helping me with this plan.
  • Still struggling with gluttony and I think the main reason is I'm a black and white type of person. So alcohol, that one is easy- I can't drink alcohol, period. Cheese, same thing. No cheese, period. But everyone has to eat. So while I'm eating I'm weighing it out in my head- "if I eat that much, is it gluttony? Do I need to still be hungry after eating for it not to be gluttony, or just not stuffed? Is having a piece of pie on my birthday gluttonous?" I think next year I need to stick to resolutions that are more clearly defined.

I've been trying to build my relationship with the Lord through all this- I've been reading scripture (which I do most days) but have added in watching Mass on most days (on Catholic TV) and I'm trying to adhere to the Lenten suggestion of working on charity. And I pray for help with the gluttony, among other things.
  • Dee, I know how you feel. I've struggled this Lenten season more than other seasons. I think it's because I've allowed myself foods in the last few months, that I haven't had in the last few years. Then I decided to stop counting calories and focus on giving up breads and starchy carbs (anything processed). I haven't had any cravings for about a week. Doesn't sound like much of an achievement, now that I've posted this. But you have to start somewhere. I'm trying to think portion control and better eating - More lean meats, veggies and fruit.

I've prayed a lot about this, too, as I gained weight this year because of emotional eating. I'm doing a lot better. Now I just have to get my exercising in gear.

Let's post to each other on this thread. It helps to give each other support. Good luck to you. I'm praying for you!!! ((Hugs))
  • Tyla-

That sounds great, I agree the support on this thread is helpful. Thanks also for your prayers- I will be praying for you as well!

Dee
  • Dee, thank you. I really appreciate your prayers. Even though there's only 27 more days until Easter, it's not too late to give it our best shot. It's fantastic that you've given up alcohol and cheese! Those are 2 big deals. Little by little, let's try giving up the things that are holding us back. We can do this together!
  • 26 more days until Easter.

Staying strong. I feel better about my eating plan these days. Gotta look better in my clothes.

Dee, how are you doing? How is the weather in Alaska?
  • Day 25 until Easter. Less than a month away. Boy, does time fly.

Staying strong with my low carb plan. I think giving up bread and other high carb foods (which makes me gluten-free) was good. Thank you, Lord.
  • Tyla-

Sorry, I missed your question yesterday. The weather here has been beautiful by Alaska standards. It's been nothing but sunny lately, and although it's not spring yet we're in that late part of winter where we have 12+ hours of daylight and it feels warmer and so we're enjoying getting out snowmobiling. We went to a remote glacier last week, and it was just beautiful!

Congrats on staying on plan. I'm doing better, I think, on feeling less gluttonous. And I have actually seen a budge on the scale even, which is most welcome!
  • I decided to give up sugar sweetened beverages for Lent this year but my hope is that by Easter I will be able to continue giving them up more or less permanently and move on to the next unhealthy habit.