Old 11-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Default Looking for a Christian church

Hi,

I am interested in how people here have found their church. I was going to an Episcopal church, I like the Pastor there but I want to keep looking. I felt very turned off when the 'sermon' was a plea on charitable giving from the Vestry, that really turned me off.

I was raised Episcopal but there are other Christian churches in the area. I am thinking of exploring others. I know from a prior experience with a horrible leader at a different church that it can be hit or miss with finding a place of worship where it clicks, feels like a fit.

Thanks.

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You will need to go awhile to see if this is the right church for you.
I go to the Presbyterian church whose belief is Scripture must be read and Scripture must be preached,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #3  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I go to an Evangelical Free Church, which believes that scripture is from God and it is taught as the unimpeachable Word of God. But, I've been to many other Christian churches in my years, from Methodist to Baptist to Assembly of God. I think I like the teachings of the EFC most as they seem to agree most with scriptures, but, of course, no one has all of it completely right.

One thing I will note is that most churches are going to preach on giving/tithing at some point, as they all need the tithe to continue serving the flock, but I have been in churches where that seemed to be the only emphasis and it made me look for other churches. I need to be fed from all scripture to grow

Never hurts to look around, but sometimes the message we're hearing is one we need to hear, whether we like it or not (I say that because it's happened to me more than once). God bless!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #4  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

I am LDS (Mormon), and I cannot imagine myself belonging to a different faith. Not because I think less of other faiths, but because I feel so comfortable! There is a great deal of commitment and study of the Gospel as it appears in the Bible and The Book of Mormon, but there are also so many opportunities to serve others, and it is such a nice place to raise children because it's quite structured and I feel children need that kind of structure. Also you can find a church wherever you go, with the same hierarchical structure, lessons being taught each Sunday, etc. It's very organized, and yes, you have to pay tithing but tithing is only 10% of your income and you never hear about it in the "sermons" from the Bishop. I never felt obliged, it was always a matter of faith (which is how tithing should work). I don't know, it works for me and my family, and we feel very complete. Ultimately it is a personal matter, a matter of searching what brings you joy and what fits your spiritual needs.
Good luck in your search!
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #5  
172pds now

S/C/G: 170 PDS. 180/170/130

Height: 5 foot and 3 inches

Default finding a church

My Favorite church is 4-Square.They teach from the Bible.......and they have beauiful lmusic

Good luk on finding a church
sasyblond401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulitens View Post
I am LDS (Mormon), and I cannot imagine myself belonging to a different faith. Not because I think less of other faiths, but because I feel so comfortable! There is a great deal of commitment and study of the Gospel as it appears in the Bible and The Book of Mormon, but there are also so many opportunities to serve others, and it is such a nice place to raise children because it's quite structured and I feel children need that kind of structure. Also you can find a church wherever you go, with the same hierarchical structure, lessons being taught each Sunday, etc. It's very organized, and yes, you have to pay tithing but tithing is only 10% of your income and you never hear about it in the "sermons" from the Bishop. I never felt obliged, it was always a matter of faith (which is how tithing should work). I don't know, it works for me and my family, and we feel very complete. Ultimately it is a personal matter, a matter of searching what brings you joy and what fits your spiritual needs.
Good luck in your search!
Hey! I'm LDS too!!

seabiscuit, if you'd like you can go to mormon.org and read up on our faith. :-)
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #7  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitie9399 View Post
Hey! I'm LDS too!!

seabiscuit, if you'd like you can go to mormon.org and read up on our faith. :-)
Woot! That's awesome! In forums like this I tend to not talk about religion but since she asked... LOL

I know, I'm a lousy missionary. :P

Nice to meet you Kaitie!
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #8  

Visit, visit, visit. It can take awhile to find the church where you are comfortable and "at home". Also depends on what you want from church. We wanted a friendly church where we felt like we were accepted with activities we could participate in, and one that stayed true to the gospel. We eventually found a non-denominational Christian Church that seeks to "Intentionally live out the word of God." (that is actually their motto but we didn't know it until after we'd started attending). The doors are open to everyone - we were welcomed every time we visited, invited to join activities, the sermons were motivating and growth-inspiring, and it just "feels right"!

Last edited by poohshunny; 03-03-2014 at 08:13 AM.
poohshunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #9  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Thank you all for the tips and advice. I may try going to a new church tomorrow, maybe...

I get nervous in the getting to know you phase of relationships with new people, especially at coffee hour type things.

I'm definitely Christian, but thank you for mentioning LDS, I just don't think that's for me.

Have a good night!

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #10  
~*Mandy*~

S/C/G: 330.6/Ticker/<170

Height: 5'9"

Hello.

My husband and I are Lutheran (ELCA) - He's actually in the process of finding his first call, after finishing seminary, so he can be ordained!

I did the church hunting thing for a while, too, before I met my husband. I wouldn't let one sermon stop you from attending a church where you like the pastor. Look at it from other angles, too. Aside from the topic, did you like his/her style of preaching? Was s/he engaged or monotone reading from his/her notes? Did the congregation interact with you at all? (this has been my biggest issue). If you liked the church as a whole, I'd go back and give the preaching another chance. Stewardship sermons are not the most fun to hear, and according to my husband, they aren't the most fun to preach, either.

I'm going to be very sad when we move out of this area after my husband accepts a call... The church we attend here feels like "home" and the pastor there is a gem. I'm going to miss it! The one we attended last year when we lived in Texas was so different. It felt like a members only club, and they were only being nice to me because my husband was in a leadership role there.

Good luck on your search.
FeraFilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 216/132/120

Height: 5'9

I'm Seventh-Day Adventist. It's a Protestant denomination very similar to Baptists since we are descended from that denomination, but we follow the scriptures 100% instead of man-made traditions practiced in most other protestant churches. If you want full biblical-based truth, SDA is the way to go. If you don't really care about the details and want generic, watered-down Christianity, then any non-denominational protestant church is something you will enjoy.
I agree it's good to find a pastor you like. It's not like I automatically like every SDA pastor who walks through the door, but I like SDA church regardless because how close they stick to the Bible's teachings. No other denomination comes close.
Sola scriptura (Latin ablative, "by Scripture alone") is the doctrine that the Bible contains all knowledge necessary for salvation and holiness.

Adventist refers to the 2nd advent AKA the 2nd coming of Christ. That's all it means.
Seventh-Day points out that the Sabbath Day in the 10 commandments is the original day of worship that most christian denominations have forgotten about. A very telling example of how man-made traditions have replaced actual scripture of the Bible.
Genesis 2:2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.
Sunday is the Roman pagan day of of Sun-god worship. You can thank the catholic church for that corruption of original christian practice.
Arwen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 242/232/110

Height: 5ft7

Roman Catholic. I studied, callee, and showed up. Everyone was so amazingly welcoming and loving. It felt like a home. And it's so beautifully traditional. I love to pray the Rosary. It brings me peace. Its so homey and graceful and dedicated. I love it.
imabehot is offline   Reply With Quote