Old 07-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #16  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

BOOTSIE ~ oh, I didn't mean to imply that anyone here or anyone specific as judging me ... although, I have had a couple of people questioning me concerning DH's care. I have worked with Alzheimer's patients before, so I do know all the symptoms (well, most of them; no-one knows everything except my brother and this other person I know ... ); and I do take care to make sure he is safe in many respects. That is a difficult thing when you are also trying to let him still have some kind of freedoms too.

Plus, he is still quite well aware of that at this point, and doesn't like people treating him like a baby that needs to be coddled -- and he vocalizes that quite often. Of course, I am the one who get the brunt of it whenever they make suggestions about this and that. They won't bring this stuff up to him: that dirty task is left to me; and the fall-out from it is too.

Since he has been home, he has had no problem finding his way back home. I suggested that he start with short walks around the block which he is doing every day. I walked to the lake today which is about 6 short blocks but enuff for me at this point as I'm still a bit sore from the last chemo round; and I sat on a bench for awhile just enjoying the view like I used to many years ago when I lived in town before.

I cleaned out our dressers today; sorting and such. While we were down south, I was able to get us both some new clothes at really good prices so we can toss some of the old ones out now. Sometimes I have a hard time deciding what stuff to keep and what to get rid of -- some things are obvious, but others notsomuch ...

The day started off cool but got hotter as the day went on; thank goodness, it cooled off in the evening so I sat on our front porch reading a novel this evening. The front porch is long so a nice breeze passes through it, and the bushes and ivy give lots of shade as well. It is just more pleasing to look at as well.

BTW, I finally met my new neighbour to the left of us; she's a 81 years young, very with it, and friendly (inviting me to come over anytime). That is so nice; sounds like a GODsend to me. Hope everyone out there is having a wonderful weekend -- ^prayers^ ascending for you all ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 254/254/153

Height: 5"6

Default Hello (I'm new here!)

Hello to the Christian Encouragers group,
I just joined this group today and was feeling a little overwhelmed by the quite extensive options available for posting, reading, etc. It seemed as I was about to just close my browser and forget the whole thing, the Lord led me down one more rabbit trail and I found this thread...Praise Him!
I am hoping to make a few friends to help support me on a potentially very long and life-changing journey of losing 101 pounds and keeping it off for good! I look forward to talking more with many of you in the future.
gorillamama
gorillamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

gorillamama. welcome and good luck with the weight loss.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #19  
Rosebud

GORILLAMAMA -- glad you found us over here. We hope that we will be able to encourage and support you in your WL journey. I am trying to get 30 lbs back off from my chemo days. Ate too well but the docs wanted me to wait until I was finished, so I have been going for a walk each day even when I hurt: pushin' through the pain anyways ...
Old 07-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

GORILLAMAMA Glad you found us.

Rosebud wrote...
Quote:
Plus, he is still quite well aware of that at this point, and doesn't like people treating him like a baby that needs to be coddled -- and he vocalizes that quite often. Of course, I am the one who get the brunt of it whenever they make suggestions about this and that. They won't bring this stuff up to him: that dirty task is left to me; and the fall-out from it is too.
I think that is because it is difficult for men to deal with. I remember when DH#2 came home after he had been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. My aunt lived with us and she would "watch" him. It would get so irritated about it because he said it was "like she is watching for me to die". Of course, she was just checking on him and was worried about him, but he never could see it that way.

It is so difficult to watch them go through the mental emotions. I'm praying for you and your DH.

Bootsie My sister said they were excited about finally getting rain yesterday and today. She said she went out and stood in it. I hope you got some of that rain as well. Also pray your DH is doing better.

Bargoo You are on my heart and my prayers are with you.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #21  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi and Welcome to Gorillamama! Glad you found us

I've been so busy this last week or so-had to get the house ready for our 4 grandkids to come, so I was cleaning and storing, then, it was a very busy few days while they were here. Our boys who are still at home are 21 & 16, and the grandkids are boy 15, girls 14, 7, & 5, so it was a very noisy, busy household! We even took them to the amusement park in Des Moines on Monday-whew! We were ALLLLLL worn out after that! And, grandma here learned that I can still NOT ride that teacup ride! It was a hot day, but yesterday was even hotter here-temp in the mid-90's and heat index over 100! We took the kids home yesterday, had supper at McD's with their mom and visited a bit, then came home and collapsed in front of the tv! It's an hour and half drive one way to their home, so I was worn out.

Now, today, must go to town to replenish some supplies and talk to counselor. If you all get a chance, please send up prayers for a couple requests. DS2 is trying to find a room to rent off campus for his senior year and it's getting down to the wire here-he really needs to find one he can afford quickly.

The other request is for DS1 and his wife (and the grandkids, as well). DS1 just can't seem to keep himself out of trouble. He got caught driving while suspended and may be facing jail time plus a huge fine. He has trouble staying with a job and for some reason, his wife won't even try to get a job. She says she can't handle being out with the public, like working at Walmart, so she won't even try to apply for anything else or get assistance to go to school (we're not sure whether she ever graduated high school). There are a lot of issues with both of them and they really need to grow up NOW as they're 32 & 33 years old with the 4 kids relying on them. Our poor 14 year old granddaughter seems to have to do most of the 'parenting' to the 5 & 7 year olds and we've noticed it's been going on for a long time. They need Jesus very desperately, but no matter what we try to say, they aren't hearing. The grandkids are open, though, so we try to share as much as we can in the short times we get to see them. I use my facebook to share as much as I can with the 2 older ones

Thanks so much for the prayers.

Hope everyone has a great day! You're all in my prayers every day!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #22  

Ronni Will be praying for you, your sons, and family.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Went to radiation today, while waiting my turn I picked up some patient journals and read a few pages. How inspiring ! Many praises and scriptures .Remember these are written by women facing tough times. It did my heart good. Praise the Lord !!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #24  
Rosebud

RONNI -- it was terribly hot & humid here for almost a week too; thankfully, that has cooled off with lots of the last two days. Sending up prayers for your family's needs ...

TRISH -- thanks for your prayers and thoughts; yes, I agree with the fact that all the talk about his illness probably bothers him more than living through it at times. I try not to say the word but use codes like ALZ and keep the conversations away from him. He got very upset in the drug store this week when we were going to buy him an id bracelet; didn't like that idea at all and refused to wear it ... It has been ordered but I have a sneaky suspicion that it will never be worn.

BOOTSIE -- hope you all got the expected down there in Texas.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Went to radiation today, while waiting my turn I picked up some patient journals and read a few pages. How inspiring ! Many praises and scriptures .Remember these are written by women facing tough times. It did my heart good. Praise the Lord !!
Sounds like the Lord was speaking to you through those scriptures. I love how the Lord plants something or someone right where I needed, when I needed. To me it is like He is putting His personal touch on the situation. God is sooo good.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #26  
Rosebud

BARG00 -- I agree with TRISH about the journals and stories from other patients with scriptures in them. GOD uses others all the time to encourage us just when we need it. I find this in daily devotionals; songs and hymns; books & bible scriptures; on our local Christian radio station; on here or other sites with Christian partners, warriors, and friends; and when just talking with caring friends & loved ones!

Just wanted to share that 3 of our neighbours have offered us support at this time; and that is very appreciated. They weren't sure how to handle or talk to DH during his hallucinations episodes, and explained that today. I think they were a bit scared really. DH is in the hospital and they are finally trying some anti-psychotic drugs for the hallucinations. He was a bit groggy in the am but was talking much better for the rest of the day. He was making sense and was able to keep a conversation with us for a change. I hope he will improve even more as they get the exact right dose for him. We were amazed at the difference in just one day; and we hope that continues.

Sadly, we had one young nurse being very rude to us tonight becuz DH got out of his room once. They had him locked in a geri-chair (claiming it was for "possible" infectious reasons although my SIL and I would have already contracted anything he had by now and visa-versa, since we live in the same house).

Anyhow, she said I had my gown on wrong and threatened that if I didn't put it on right she wouldn't allow us to see DH anymore ... I thought, "whoa girl, take it easy!". I told her that I had lots of experience putting on gowns that fit properly, and had worked with many geriatric patients in nursing homes & group homes, so know very well that geri-chairs are used for patients they don't want to have to watch all the time (another nurse had already fessed up to that earlier in the day). Plus that as soon as DH is well enuff we will be taking him home so we don't have to listen to that kind of crap again. She muttered something and left.

Well, one of my doctors told me that I needed to stand up for myself more, so I did. I hate it that DH hadn't been allowed to go to the bathroom since morning and his legs were cramping from being in that chair so long. So I told her to make sure he was allowed to get up at least every 2 hours max to go to the bathroom and stretch his legs. There is no reason that couldn't be arranged: we did it for them most of the day and I suspect that will be the same for the rest of his time there.

We spent our time there talking to DH; telling him jokes and stories; and I even danced with him for a bit, which is one of his favorite activities. He was in a great mood when we left so that makes me more optimistic for down the road.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #27  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Rosebud-I have also found many of the nurses/staff in psych wards are rude and obnoxious. I know that they have to deal with a lot of problem patients, including drunks and drug addicts (at least, here at our local hospital), but that's no reason to lock one patient down and neglect basic attention. In my mom's case, we have had problems getting her regular medical treatment in an emergency. When she had to be taken to the ER due to confusion and weakness, they immediately placed her back in the psych ward, even though her blood tests showed extremely low blood sugar. When we found that out, I went to the psych ward and had her released. She has been much more diligent about eating every couple hours since then (except when she was in the midst of the unmedicated delusion episode the last few months). So many in health care are very, very uneducated about mental illness and how to handle psychiatric patients, including Alzheimer's patients. Sad situation, especially considering how much we pay for health care and how much is charged by colleges for medical school and nursing school. Praying for you.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #28  
Rosebud

RONNIE ~ thanks goodness, there was just that one incident; she avoided us after that and we didn't seek her out either. He had two great male personal care nurses the rest of the time and that was good. He is finally home, and so far so good -- the new meds are making a difference. He slept through the night as far as I can tell. It's hard for me to know exactly what time he gets up unless I sit up all night to watch. He can't remember the time or how to read the clock to tell what time he got up.

Think I'll check earlier tomorrow am to see if he is still in bed or not. Some times he is and others, he is already up. If he gets up in the middle of the night, I encourage him to go back to bed. We'll have to wait and see how things go with these new meds. He certainly is more alert since he has been on them. His memory is the same but he was chattering like a bird this am; and that's a good thing.

So I went to the lawyers today to do my WILL & POA; and there were a few things that surprised me, so I have a couple of things that I need to think about. It is a tad more complicated when you have no children, and a spouse with DH's condition. He said that he has seen many incidents where a spouse (like my DH) has refused to go to get a WILL & POA done.

He can't accept the ALZ diagnosis and the subject of death upsets him. He gets very upset whenever he hears someone he knows has died. Just today, he saw my Aunt and had forgotten her husband has died and was upset to hear that. So hard when she was upset that he forgot her DH but that is the Alzheimers causing that. Once she told him he had died then he got upset. It's like he is hearing of their deaths for the first time.

So there are many reasons to ask a lawyer about a WILL & POA when you are younger. Thankfully, you can change a Will anytime you want throughout your life; and circumstances are always changing as well so there's more to consider than it first appears.

It's here today; and the dampness bothers my right knee something aweful but I'd rather have this now & then than 90 heat with humidity. We've actually had pretty good weather here this year and all the rain is helping my garden flowers/bushes grow well. I am enjoying them immensely.

Hope you are all having a great JULY, and safe vacations too ...
Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #29  
Rosebud

Well, I got a lot accomplished today -- in the AM, I dead-headed my rose peony bushes and trimmed around the front porch and a few other small yard jobs. In between, I did a few loads of laundry as the hydro is almost half off on the weekends; then in the afternoon, Dh and I took a walk to the nearest store and back. When things cooled off in the evening, I also took a walk around the block since I felt good, but now I am feelin`it, so tomorrow will be a rest day for me. Think I`ll stick something easy in the oven for dinner if it is cool enuff.

I also crocheted some socks for the bottom of my kitchen chairs as they were making a heck of a racket on the tile floor in there. I made 8 yesterday and 8 today; and now you can barely hear anything at all when you move them around -- what a difference. I am so glad that I found my wool and crochet hooks when I went snooping in the basement. I found some other stuff I needed too; there are still a few things missing, but I may find them eventually (maybe next week).

Just wanted to pop in here to see if there were any new requests; but now I am going to go to bed early and rest this ole bod of mine. Take care and I hope you are all having a wonderful July weekend out there ...
Old 07-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #30  

Rosebud You really inspire me. You never stop. In fact, as I read your post of all you did yesterday, I think I'm going to have to stop letting DH tell me what I can't do. There are things that need to be done in our yard that would be a help to him and exercise for me. I am going to make it a goal to get out and pull some weeds etc. around here.

I want to thank you guys for praying me out of the slump I was in a while back. I think I was just feeling like I wasn't doing a lot of things I should be doing. Lost my purpose for a while. I think I've shared that DH and I do the Online prayer ministry for our church making sure that all the prayer requests go out to our prayer partners at church. Actually, Tony writes them and send them out. He is so good at it because he worked in Neo-Natal ICU for almost 20 yrs so he knows enough about a lot of the medical requests that come in to write just enough of info of how we need to pray for healing. Sometimes, I feel like I do nothing. In previous churches, I've always filled whatever position was needed. Although I could do it, I did not always enjoy it because I was just meeting a need... not always what I felt called to do. Then I realized one Sunday after pastor's sermon at church, I realized that my ministry is Intercessory prayer. I know how to pray things through and get results. However, I also figured out a way to make our prayer ministry better by contacting the people that I can to get updates on the prayer requests so DH can send out updates to the prayer partners so they can see how their prayers are being answered. Our pastor stresses to the church that the only reason we have seen the miracles and successes we've seen is because we are a praying church. The updates reinforce that. I have learned that my ministry is also encouraging others and I'm learning that too is very important. Helps me feel good too. I think I just needed to know where my place really is in the Lord's Kingdom. I can do devotionals at church when needed and the Lord always anoints that too, but I don't do that on a regular basis. Just available when needed. But prayer is something that is always needed.

So again thanks for your prayers.

Prayers continue for all.