Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #1  
hope | amal | أَمَل

S/C/G: 216/Ticker/145

Height: 5'4" (1.63m)

Default New :)

I'm new to the whole forum, and I just noticed this sub-forum which I think is awesome

I'm a Muslim gal.. and taking a look around I realize I may be the only one.. but I'm still relying on the power of God [Allah(swt)] in my life to help me through tough times just like anyone else, now I'm adding weight loss to that list as well, and I know through God all things are truly possible.

Sooo I just wanted to say hello and it's nice to see this sub-forum

Last edited by Adalyn; 01-17-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Adalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #2  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

Assalamu alaikum sister-
No you are not! Finally, another! :P I am so happy to see another sister on here
You will find a lot of support and great tips on this website. It has been an interesting journey for me so far... went from 250 to 180 so far in less than a year. Anything is possible isA!

Let me know if you are looking for a weight loss buddy because I have been looking for a fellow muslimah to share weight loss ideas/frustrations with!

Nice to meet you!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #3  
hope | amal | أَمَل

wa 'alaikum assalam! I'm sooo glad to know I'm not the only one

I'm horrified with myself for gaining so much weight because this is NOT the first time I've been in the weight-loss biz Years ago I lost 60 lbs!

But I was younger and I wasn't on anxiety medications, and I'm so afraid I won't be able to do it again (and I have more to lose this time, urgh).

I almost joined a ladies gym last year (I was a member years ago) but I'm so frustrated with how terrible my body has gotten that I don't even want to be around other people while exercising.. luckily we just bought a shiny new elliptical so at least there's that

It's frustrating being on Day ONE. And knowing there are probably hundreds of days ahead of me to come.. it's hard to live in the moment.

I'm rambling though
Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #4  
hope | amal | أَمَل

And I just noticed, you've made so much progress! Congratulations
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

ADALYN ~ I'm sure there are other Muslims here. This is a super site; you'll like it here ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #7  
hope | amal | أَمَل

thanks gals
Old 01-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalyn View Post
wa 'alaikum assalam! I'm sooo glad to know I'm not the only one

I'm horrified with myself for gaining so much weight because this is NOT the first time I've been in the weight-loss biz Years ago I lost 60 lbs!

But I was younger and I wasn't on anxiety medications, and I'm so afraid I won't be able to do it again (and I have more to lose this time, urgh).

I almost joined a ladies gym last year (I was a member years ago) but I'm so frustrated with how terrible my body has gotten that I don't even want to be around other people while exercising.. luckily we just bought a shiny new elliptical so at least there's that

It's frustrating being on Day ONE. And knowing there are probably hundreds of days ahead of me to come.. it's hard to live in the moment.

I'm rambling though
ME too! I was starting to think I was the only one. And with challenges like Ramadan and fasting, it is good to have someone who knows what you are going through!

Don't feel discouraged. I was/am in your place and I know how incredibly daunting it can seem to have to start a weight loss journey, especially for the second time. Just think- if you can do it once, what is really stopping you from doing it again?! All things are possible through Allah swt and this journey through weight loss is just another opportunity to bring you closer to Allah swt.

I am also on anxiety meds (another thing we have in common!) and I have still lost 70 pounds in just under 10 months. It IS possible but the hardest part is starting. As for the gym- remember what reward lies ahead of you if you really push with your exercise. It is awesome that you have an elliptical, that might really save you on trips to the gym. I do not have a ladies gym near me and as a Muslim woman I do not feel comfortable going to a regular gym so I have been working out at home. I suggest Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred- it's pretty intense and only takes 20 mins a day for some serious results!

Well, I have done my fair share of rambling, but just remember Allah swt will help you through this if you keep the faith!

May I ask what kind of diet you are on? I have just cut calories I eat about 1400 a day and it has worked for me.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #9  

Oh, and thank you for the congrats!!!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #10  
hope | amal | أَمَل

I'm sticking to calorie counting because that's how I got it done the first time. It works because it's science But the willpower part, that's what really gets me. Now I look back and I remember telling myself I'd never be heavy again, and yet here I am.. the willpower, or lack there of, always catches up with me.

Actually, the majority of the weight gain happened after I started taking my anxiety meds.. not because of the meds, but because I wasn't anxious anymore. So I wasn't stressing about my body... so now rather than losing weight because I'm anxious about how I look, I have to make the choice to do it just for the sake of being healthier. It's a much harder choice.. it was almost easier when I was anxious, ack!

I am starting off with a water fast for hopefully about a week.. the reason is to break my food addiction cycle that I've fallen into over the last year or two. After that, just calorie counting and exercise!

I also have T-Tapp DVDS here but I find doing exercise videos to be very boring after the first couple of times. I prefer to watch TV Listening to the same old voice say the same old things over and over again.. gah, I just couldn't keep doing it.

What anxiety med do you take? I'm on Citalopram (Celexa) which is supposed to be "weight neutral" luckily.. no losing no gaining due to the medication alone anyway. I hope that's the case.. I wouldn't know because I haven't tried losing on this particular medication yet. Insha'allah it won't be holding me back.

Sometimes I think I have to choose between sanity or losing weight re: the medications.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #11  

Yep, calorie counting is the way to go. Fad diets were never really my thing. It's always so depressing when you are heavy to think of what got you there. I guess I finally reached my breaking point when I bought my first pair of size 20 pants. It might sound vain, but that was soooo depressing to me.

I so know what you mean about being anxious about the way you look. I was basically a shut-in at one point. I did NOT want anyone to see what I had become! But I guess we need to move on and bite the bullet and just do it.. worrying about it won't get us anywhere. Because if worrying caused youto lose weight I'd be a size 00 :P

I take Propranolol and it does cause you to gain weight.... yikes! But I have safely combated that with diet/exercise. I really can't be off my meds or I would probably go crazy... anxiety runs in my family so I don't think I will be getting off the meds anytime soon. Maybe one day inshAllah.

The water fast sounds good. I did a detox before I started losing... I was a fast food addict and it really ran my body down. Was a good jump start to the weight loss.

I don't know if you have a "walkable" neighborhood, but I usually walk around listening to music- helps with the boredom of workouts!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #12  
hope | amal | أَمَل

I'm a fast food addict as well, I crave it constantly. And now that I don't have it anymore, and plus with the fast to break the food addiction, I'm thinking about it. Constantly. Constantly. I can't get it off my mind.. last night I went to bed at 8pm just so I could stop thinking about it.

When I read that back to myself, I realize just how much of an addict I really am.

What's worse is that my emotions have changed too in just a day.. I'm irritable like you wouldn't believe. It's like coming off drugs.. I'm having physical changes, personality changes, sleep disturbances, crazy thoughts... it's like some form of insanity breaking the habit.

I'm only on Day 2 but I feel like giving up.

Instead, I'm trying to remember: [7:31] O children of Adam, take your adornment at every masjid, and eat and drink, but be not excessive. Indeed, He likes not those who commit excess.

I know that Allah(swt) does not want for me the path I have chosen ... but of course I have always had the freedom to choose it anyway, and I sure went astray! But now I need to focus on what is best for me. Allah(swt) knows what is best for me.. I have to focus on that.

So I have to stick with it.

It's soooo hard.

I particularly enjoy this dua, it helps me focus:

"O Allah, I hope for Your mercy, do not leave me for even the duration of an eye blink and correct my total condition. Besides You there is none worthy of worship".

Last edited by Adalyn; 01-17-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #13  

That's so funny that you said that it is like coming off drugs... it really is! I know exactly how you feel. I still eat fast food every 2 weeks. Twice a month I treat myself to it and get whatever I want. I have never really gained from it either which is lucky I guess.

But oh, yes. I know the feeling. Keep pushing through it and I promise it gets better.

That is a great dua, I also keep a small book I have collected of duas in my car and pull it out when I'm feeling down. If you are doing 5 daily prayers regularly and read Quran regularly as well it should ease your anxiety and get your mind off of food.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was said to have always walked at a quick pace and eat plenty of fruit. Even in the Quran it mentions this. I think that's another reason I am so depressed about my weight, I feel like I have let Allah (swt) down I have always indulged myself and eaten in excess which is exactly what you are not supposed to do!

Never too late for a change, though!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #14  
hope | amal | أَمَل

Salaam~

I had a major set back over the last week. There was a bit of a crisis and things in my routine did not go as planned.. in fact they basically spiraled out of control.

It is hard to pick up pieces after a major set-back... so instead of worrying about my weight, which has gone up by more than I'd like to acknowledge... I'm going to just re-start my water fast tomorrow and break this horrible addiction for good.

Tomorrow is precisely 2 weeks until my birthday. I think that's a good amount of time to go without looking at the scale.. do my water fast, beg Allah(swt) to help me through it, and finally when my birthday rolls around, then I will be able to look at that scale with a clear head.

Last edited by Adalyn; 01-23-2012 at 12:29 AM.