Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #31  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

BACK, IRIS ~ yes, I remember you too. I always thought your net name was pretty (Iriswhispers) ... will send up some ^prayers^ for you about your plans & needs (schooling, funding, P/T job, etc).

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-11-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Welcome back Iris, A nice day in Texas today tomorrow wind blowing, ice cold...................Fixed pens today and moved all the sheep together on the south side of the barn. Filled all the water troughs full, delivered Hay to every pen, it is so hard 70 to 80 one day the next windy and in the 40's on the animals, me too! I found some great diabetic cook books in my brothers stuff that i think will help me out, going to try some of them tomorrow.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #33  
Rosebud

BOOTSIE ~ I have a couple Diabetic Cookbooks too; they have some great healthy recipes in them that everyone would love. The weather has been going up & down here too; it was milder today, but colder temps with winds are expected right up to the weekend ... I'll say too!!!

Just gonna bundle up good and stay indoors for a while, I think. Poor DH did double errands for me today; I was concerned he was doing too much after pushing snow around this AM, but he wanted to do it. He didn't mind since it was milder today, and it gave him something to do.

I caught up on some mending this week (DH is hard on his clothes); and did other chores like laundry and such as well. I do that in the daytime, and take a break in the aft or evening to put my feet up & read a bit too (and do my puzzles too).

I roasted a pile of extra veggies & broth the other night (with our dinner) to use as a soup base; and it worked out great. I put some in containers in the freezer, and then made some Minestrone soup with some of it today for lunch. We just had yesterday's healthy leftovers along with some veggies & salad (well, I did anyways) for dinner tonight. Nice for me.

It's a wonderful, wonderful ***** winterland out there! Have a FAB FRIDAY tomorrow; and keep warm ...
Old 01-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #34  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Hi GALS ~

Will catch up this week-end...

good to see you IRIS!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #35  
Quit counting at 45!

Default It's Friday!

It's been a very cold week here also. After warmer than usual temperatures it's a little hard to take. But then again it's already the middle of January so we won't have it for long.

I've done really well with my eating. I have always had healthy foods for breakfast and lunch so that's not a problem. My problem has always been evenings. This past week I have made my portions smaller and if I was hungry before bed I'd have a small snack. I found out that I usually didn't need the snack. Hopefully it'll show on the scale soon! Tonight its fish and broccoli for dinner.

I was able to spend a little time with my grandson this week. What a blessing to have him close by. He just learned how to roll himself over and he's pretty proud of himself.

Rosebud: I just noticed how much weight you've lost. Wow! Nice job and you're doing it the right way.

Bootsie: You can't go wrong with diabetic cooking. I'm sure we could all benefit from eating less carbs. I sure know I would. I also have to cut out the sodium in my diet and that can be challenging at times.

Gary: Nice pictures! It makes me want to take a vacation to a much warmer climate. But, DH is going to be driving the winter roads in northern Canada again so I guess that's out. Gotta save my holiday time to visit grandbaby #2 when he/she comes. Can't wait!

Iris: I'm so glad you found a church home. It's so important to have others to worship with.

Have a great weekend everyone!
wilma12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #36  
Rosebud

THANKS, WILMA ~ I'm still workin' on it; yes, I've come quite a ways, but more ground to cover yet. I just have to get my sugars balanced, I think. I try not to have a snack at night and my blood sugars plummet on me; esp by morning. Well, I tried skipping it last night and was sick today ...

I had one of my bad dizzy spells with nausea, the shakes, breathing issues, and weakness. Gonna put in a prayer request. I had to go to the hospital and they ran tests and found I have an infection in my urine, so will start antibiotics tomorrow for five days. I thought I was better, but I wasn't ....

They're not sure what is causing the other symptoms but are starting with that. I have had these dizzy spells for almost a week now. I was hoping they would go away too. My blood sugars & blood pressure were good though, so I am happy about that. Think I'll try a small healthy snack tonight, and porridge for breakfast tomorrow and see what happens.

GARY, BOOTSIE, BARGOO, IRIS, DEE, and all others ...

It was very, very cold today; wouldn't have gone out if we didn't have to. The weekend is supposed to be cold, but by Monday, it will be milder again. Take good care everyone; and keep warm ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-13-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Rosebud, you are in my prayers.
I have also found another great resource with devotionals, etc.
www.biblegateway.com
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #38  
Rosebud

THANKS BARGOO ~ for the prayers and another great Christian Tool Site ... I am feeling much better today. Started my antibiotics and drinking extra water like they want. We found a local company to deliver nice-tasting drinking water to us at a great price. This is so helpful to us since we don't have a car anymore -- the man was waiting for us when we got home yesterday.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #39  

Rosebud, glad you enjoy the site. I started to use it to read through the New Testament in one year. I get them through my email that somehow seems easier than picking up my Bible and looking them up, such is human nature, well, mine anyway.
Glad you are feeling better. About water, I had the worst tasting water that you can imagine, my son bought me a Brita Water Filter and that has helped a lot.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #40  

Hi,
I came to this forum for the Intuitive Eaters discussion but I'm also a Christian.
While my choice for weight loss is IE, I am depending on God's grace to see me through the process. As it is with most of life's situations, I have to fail over and over before I realize that I can't succeed through my own strength.

I'm glad to find this section the the forum and hope to post regularly.

Have any of you tried Intuitive Eating?

Last edited by jaycee1275; 01-16-2012 at 08:36 AM.
jaycee1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

I tried it for a while but some diets for some it work for me it did not, More than likely I just did not follow the rules I am more of a rebel when it comes to any diet, that is my problem I am addicted to good tasting food.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #42  
Rosebud

JAYCEE ~ to our part of the site over here. I have read a bit about it (IE) -- I hope that we all can be in tune with our body's needs to some degree. I use other strategies like filling up on soup, veggies, salads & fruit for snacks & desserts too; with a priority on portions of foods I enjoy. It is helpful to keep our focus on the LORD for guidance & wisdom & strength & balance each day.

BARGOO ~ we have a very strong chlorine taste & smell in our water; it is clean otherwise. I understand that they are just making sure it is safe for us, but it makes me almost gag when I take a sip of coffee or tea (or by itself). I have a very sensitive sense of taste & smell (just like my Dad; he hates our water too). We have been using purchased filtered water for drinking, soups & stews; and most cooking lately, as you can even smell it when you use tap water to boil your pasta. We had considered the small filter system, but weren't sure if it would fix that particular problem & that would take a while to filter all that water. When we lived in the country before, we found some filters would take rust & sediment out, but not all will take out the chlorine smell & taste. What was in yours?

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-16-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #43  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
JAYCEE ~ to our part of the site over here. I have read a bit about it (IE) -- I hope that we all can be in tune with our body's needs to some degree. I use other strategies like filling up on soup, veggies, salads & fruit for snacks & desserts too; with a priority on portions of foods I enjoy. It is helpful to keep our focus on the LORD for guidance & wisdom & strength & balance each day.

BARGOO ~ we have a very strong chlorine taste & smell in our water; it is clean otherwise. I understand that they are just making sure it is safe for us, but it makes me almost gag when I take a sip of coffee or tea (or by itself). I have a very sensitive sense of taste & smell (just like my Dad; he hates our water too). We have been using purchased filtered water for drinking, soups & stews; and most cooking lately, as you can even smell it when you use tap water to boil your pasta. We had considered the small filter system, but weren't sure if it would fix that particular problem & that would take a while to filter all that water. When we lived in the country before, we found some filters would take rust & sediment out, but not all will take out the chlorine smell & taste. What was in yours?
I don't know what was in it, it did not taste or smell like chlorine but just had a nasty taste most e of my neighbors used filtered or bottled water of some kind.

Last edited by bargoo; 01-16-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #44  
Rosebud

BARGOO ~ yes, many people buy drinking water here too. One of our friends put some kind of filtering system in his house; but that can get very expensive. I'll ask around; and for now, we'll let them bring it as we are just paying about the same as when we purchased it ourselves & they deliver this right to our house for a very small fee.

WE had milder temps today; apparently, it was even drizzling today like a rain, which is unusual for January here. Hope it won't be slippery tonight. It was a good day for DH to run some errands for me. Gonna get a bit colder, but not toobad over the next few days. Did some laundry & light chores today. We're having roast pork with sweet potatoes & green beans for dinner tonight -- it will be ready pretty soon too; yum!

Have a great week, everyone; and keep warm ...
Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #45  
Rosebud

I came across an article recently by a young lady in TO (Toronto, Canada) who decided to make some new year goals of matching her values & beliefs to her lifestyle choices. I found it very interesting ...

She had always wanted to give to charity but felt she didn't have enough $$$ left over at the end of the month to do so -- that is, until she decided to make some changes. She made a list of how she spent her salary, and the things she wanted to change; and low and behold, she found lots of money to give to charity.

This is what she did: she decided to give up getting her hair highlighted at the salon which today can be almost $60-$100 or more at an upscale place in TO. Then, she quit her regular trips for pedicures & manicures & facials & spa treaments. She stopped purchasing high-end cosmetics & switched to less expensive, natural beauty products instead; and, she stopped buying popular but very costly, designer clothes as well.

She decided to switch from focusing on her appearance to her health. She started buying healthier, organic whole foods. She then took a vegetarian cooking class, cutting down her meat consumption drastically (she now has meat as a garnish rather than a meal). She also sees a naturopath first before going to her regular doctor for high-cost meds.

Then last but not least, she discovered how much she was spending on her transportation: her car. When she saw how much she could save on the payments, the gas & oil, and repairs -- she decided to sell it and switched to walking & riding her bike & using public transit.

She makes a point of buying locally produced fresh foods & products; and supports community businesses & entrepreneurs, designers & manufacturers. She discovered that she did have enough money to give to several of her favorite charities once she realized that some of the things she saw as needs, were really just wants.

After achieving all that, she now wants to give regularly to more local charities; and start giving of her energy & time volunteering as well. Once she had rearranged her spending habits, she realized that she could do even more if she prioritized her time management as well. She believes that we all (one by one) can create a better world just by making better choices each and every day.

Very thought-provoking, I think ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-17-2012 at 07:44 PM.