Old 02-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #31  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

"Working On It"

February 28, 2010

Let me hear what God the LORD will speak, for He will speak peace to His people, to His saints; but let them not turn back to folly. Surely His salvation is near to those who fear Him, that glory may dwell in our land. Psalm 85:8-9

This story was shared with me by an elder of a church in Iowa.

He told me of how his young daughter was concentrating so hard on her homework that he got curious enough to interrupt and ask her what she was doing.

Without missing a beat or looking up, she said, "I'm writing a report on war in the world and how we can make peace."

Impressed by the intensity of the subject and the forcefulness of her answer, the father respectfully asked, "Isn't that a pretty big job for a young lady, like yourself?"

"Nope," she answered, "And, besides, I don't have to do it myself. I'm working on it with two others."

"Peace on earth and good will toward men," how wonderful it would be if peace on earth could be brought about by three, very sincere people.

But that's not the case, is it? In spite of our most sincere efforts, our most ardent wishes, wars, hatred, and prejudice are still very real. The problems that separate us are immense. Peace -- both nationally and personally -- seems illusive.

So, what's the problem?

Maybe, just maybe, it's because there aren't three working together.

That's right There aren't three. God works for peace. He's first and He's foremost. So that we might be forgiven, so we might have eternal peace, He sent His Son to seek and save us. Now, because of what Jesus has done, all who believe on Him will have peace eternally. So, as we said, "God is number one."

I imagine we would be number two. Most of us, most of the time, work for peace. But the devil, he ruins things. He always has.

And until the day God kicks him out of our lives, the job is just not going to get done. So, until that day arrives, our job is to remain faithful and make sure the Holy Spirit keeps us on the side of the Lord.

From a devotion originally written for "By the Way"

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, we have, through Your Son, seen how much You love peace. When the world was created, it was filled with peace, and after Judgment Day, all who believe will have unending peace. Now, as much as I am able, let me share Your peace with others. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

In Christ I remain His servant and yours,

Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker of The Lutheran HourŪ
Lutheran Hour Ministries
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #32  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

"Sure Deliverance"

March 1, 2010

And call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me. Psalm 50:15

A few weeks ago the roads of Pittsburgh were packed with snow.

It was during this time that 50-year-old Curtis Mitchell called 911 for help. He said his "entire stomach [was] in pain."

Two hours later Curtis would call again. That's the call where he asked, "What's the holdup on the ambulance?" Nobody had called him and said the emergency vehicle hadn't been able to get there because of snow.

In the next 28 hours, Curtis and his girlfriend, Sharon, would call again.

And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

If you skipped over that last line or if you haven't been counting, Curtis and his girlfriend called for help ten different times. By the time that last call was made by Sharon, her boyfriend had stopped breathing and when she touched him, he felt cold.

Curtis Mitchell died while waiting for help.

Public Safety Director Michael Huss said, "We should have gotten there. It's that simple." Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said, "It's unacceptable what happened; it needs to change. We're talking about somebody who lost their life, and it's no small matter."

It's a sad thing when people call for help and don't get it, isn't it? This is why the Lord's promise in Psalm 50 is so important. God says if we call upon Him in our days of trouble, He will not only hear us, but He will deliver us.

Now, that's a broad kind of promise that might make people ask, "Really? Can we be sure?" If that's where you're coming from, if that's the question you're asking, I'd like to tell you the answer: "Yes!"

When Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden, God gave them a promise of delivery. When the Children of Israel cried because of their enslavement in Egypt, God delivered them. When sinners came to Jesus, He delivered and restored them.

So we might be delivered from sin, Satan, and death is why Jesus was born. It is why He lived His life and died our death.

Now, because of His third-day resurrection from the dead we can be sure of our blood-bought deliverance and salvation.

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord Jesus, I give thanks You have sacrificed Yourself for my deliverance from sin. Grant me the grace and ability to share Your story with those who still live under the burden of their transgressions. Let them learn how to call upon You in the day of trouble. In Your Name. Amen.

In Christ I remain His servant and yours,

Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker of The Lutheran HourŪ
Lutheran Hour Ministries
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote