Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #1  

Default Weigh Down Workshop - Gwen Shamblin

Hi,

Gwen Shamblin is coming to Chicago. I have not read her books, but have visited her website. I'm thinking I need to go to this. I binge eat and have suffered from one kind or another of addiction all of my life. I have a terrible relationship with food and I let the demons get to me all of the time. I have passed this on to my daughter and I want to take her there with me. It will be an expense and I would like to know if any of you have followed her program and if you think going to her seminar would be good for me and my daughter. I'm at my wit's end with food addiction and it totally controlling my mood and my life. It steals my joy and I know God does not want that for me or any of us.
Thanks,
Gwen (yes, my name is Gwen too
justbeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I haven't read her books, but I have read a pretty elaborate synopsis of her first book and threads that talked about them (there are some here on this site and you can do a search for them).

Most people felt the first book was the most helpful; but the second one got too much into her own personal doctrinal beliefs, that they may not have agreed with so much. You could go to the seminar to see how you feel before buying the book; but from what I have read, the first book is the best one.

Then you will see if it is right for you and your daughter or not ... hope that helps you a little bit.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:21 AM   #3  

Thanks for the reply. After searching on this board someone suggested the Thin Within program. I went to the website and I plan on calling them today and speaking with them. I think I still might go to the Weigh Down workshop with my daughter. I can't see that it would hurt.
Thanks again,
Gwen
justbeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Yes, I have heard that they are similar; so may be worth checking into. I agree, I can't see how going to the seminar will hurt either ...

Another lady here liked the book "FAITHFULLY FIT" -- you could google that book as well; I'm sure it would be available at Amazon.com too.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-26-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #5  

You can get Gwen's first book for a penny plus $3.99 shipping on Amazon. She got into a mess with her new church and some consider it a cult. She has a great message of relying on God for help. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, she has 12 free videos that would be mainly the same thing on her website. Just google Gwen Shamblin and it will direct you there. The videos are also on youtube.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I am skeptical of her methods (but not of having faith in the struggle to change one's way of eating). Her "interpretation" of scripture is beyond odd and encourages people to leave their churches for her way of teaching.

Again, not condoning any particular belief here, just encouraging you to be strong in your own faith and research her religious teachings.
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #7  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

I always felt that Gwen in a round about way led me to Christ in the mid 90s. I remember her book was very much based on Moses and the desert story of coming out of bondage in to freedom. I always felt that way about my weight problem, i have spent to much time in the desert and not enough time being thin in the promise land.
I don't remember her diet or anything else but that made a big impression on me.
Why when someone does good do they let their ego in the way, and other just blow it out of proportion? Just tkae what you want, and leave the rest.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #8  

I was sad that she left the church she was with and decided to deny the trinity. Since that time I have read things that really do sound like a cult.

BUT, she really had a good thing going in the 80s and 90s. She helped so many people with weight. I had friends lose 100 pounds and more on her program.

I think her videos and books can be very helpful, but I would be cautious of joining a current group as I have heard they can really push to be part of HER home church movement.

Dawn
Dawn415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #9  

I started reading Weigh Down with my foster daughter and found it to be very legalistic, and works based.

We were reading it together, but I kept having to stop and let her know that what I was reading wasn't Biblical... But the diet portion of the book was so logical. I also had some success with a diet I tried in the early 80's, that had the same premise- Eat when your hungry, stop when you are full.

I was thinking someone needs to write a real Born again diet with this premise. I decided to take a couple of weeks and write the diet only based on grace instead of works... well ten years later I am still writing it. I have it posted on another forum. Or If you would like I can try to attach it to a private message here. I had it posted here for awhile but I was working with a Copy Editor, and he told me to take it down because I needed to make a better first impression... (my grammar needs some help).

I couldn't get it off of the other forum, but it has helped a lot of ladies on there, so I have decided to leave it up. What God has given me over the last 10 years amazes me. You won't believe how many Scriptures there are that have to deal with eating, and addiction! I have lost 50 pounds, and don't have any desire to overeat or diet anymore.

Love, Kelli
Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Hi Kelli!!
Yes Kelli your writing has helped alot of ladies, and I am one of them. I still go to your website and read your writings, I have not found anything worded wrong or spelled wrong only good writing. The encouragement and common sense is wonderful. I am torn between what is right and what is wrong in dieting, though. The more I think about it the more I just need to let Jesus lead me to what he thinks is best. What I have started doing:
Let Jesus be in control
Reading your writing on your website
Studying the book 100 days of weight loss by Linda Spangle
Reading her newsletters each day gives me allot of encouragement
I have a program called Fit day I use to make sure of my calories ,protein etc...
I got a CD on Faithful Workouts which is exercising to religious music, which they make it fun and easy to do.

I have one Bad Habit, I want to gain control over, when my husband comes home, I seem to want to eat a-lot for no reason what so ever! I think that is my biggest down point in loosing weight; if I am going to loose I have to do something besides eat! And why him coming home makes me hungry, have not figured that one out yet.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #11  

Good Morning!

Bootsie, I have missed you and your gift of encouragement, I am so glad you are here. When I read your post and how you struggle when your husband comes home it reminds me of myself and I am actually working through those habits right now and adding to Week 8 Day 2, Dysfunctional Family I copied and pasted it below. Maybe it can help you understand why you overeat as soon as your husband gets home??? I hope so.

Deuteronomy 30:11-20 "For this commandment which I command you today is not too mysterious for you, nor is it far off. 12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, "Who will ascend into heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?' 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, "Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?' 14 But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.
15 "See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil, 16 in that I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments, His statutes, and His judgments, that you may live and multiply; and the LORD your God will bless you in the land which you go to possess. 17 But if your heart turns away so that you do not hear, and are drawn away, and worship other gods and serve them, 18 I announce to you today that you shall surely perish; you shall not prolong your days in the land which you cross over the Jordan to go in and possess. 19 I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; 20 that you may love the LORD your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days; and that you may dwell in the land which the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them."

When you write something down it becomes more fixed in your brain. Write verse fourteen, of the preceding passages __________________________________________________ ____
__________________________________________________ _________________________

Pray right now for God to show you the truth, the only reason it’s hard is because you believe Satan has more power than God. Overeating is a decision you make for yourself. Pray He will take away any denial. Reflect back on your eating habits and how overeating or being overweight has made you feel hopeless. You feel hopeless because the world tells you there is no hope, its genetics, or a low metabolism, and for a short time, this makes you feel better, because you make excuses and say it’s not your fault. We are desperate for the approval of others. We look to the world or God to make our decisions for us, so it isn’t our fault when bad things happen to us. It helps temporarily, but that wears thin and we are still left feeling hopeless, depressed, and envious. There is hope; we do have a choice. In versus fifteen through twenty, God says it’s up to you to choose life and in verse nineteen, says your children aren’t condemned to being fat either.

II Corinthians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort.

God will comfort you. You don’t need to run to the refrigerator! Naturally, those who have been the most hurt by circumstances in their lives are going to need the most comfort. You have tried to ease the pain on your own by using the “two weeks of successful dieting, then overeating, then guilt cycle”. You are using that cycle to avoid the pain of dealing with your hurts. It’s call avoidance behavior. You are trying to trick yourself into believing that the problem is being overweight and solving that problem becomes more important than anything else you should be doing. It’s not just the overeating that is the avoidance behavior, it’s the whole cycle of “dieting” and believe it or not, the two week successful dieting high, the pain of overeating and feeling guilt, cycle, is not as painful for you as dealing with your hurts on your own. Even with God helping you to deal with the pain it is still hard, but He is the God of all Comfort. The more you have suffered the more comfort you will receive, but you need to humble yourself and here is the hard part, you need to give up dieting. Ask for the help, and have faith that He is helping you.

II Corinthians 1:3-7 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ. 6 Now if we are afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effective for enduring the same sufferings which we also suffer. Or if we are comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation. 7 And our hope for you is steadfast, because we know that as you are partakers of the sufferings, so also you will partake of the consolation.

II Thessalonians 2:16-17 Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, 17 comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work.

• Matthew 5:4
Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted.
Matthew 5:3-5 (in Context) Matthew 5 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 7: 36 Then one of the Pharisees asked Him to eat with him. And He went to the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to eat. 37 And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, 38 and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying, “This Man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner.”

40 And Jesus answered and said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.”
So he said, “Teacher, say it.”

41 “There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me, therefore, which of them will love him more?”
43 Simon answered and said, “I suppose the one whom he forgave more.”

And He said to him, “You have rightly judged.” 44 Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. 45 You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. 46 You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. 47 Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.”

48 Then He said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

I thank God for my dysfunctional life, because I am so grateful to be free of it. I can’t tell you how grateful I am that my children didn’t have to suffer as I did, but a small part of me feels sad for them too. They will never know the depth of gratitude I have for the one who saved me from all that. I didn’t always feel that way. I spent most of my life feeling sorry for myself, wondering “why me?”

My husband and I provide foster care for teenage girls; and because of the trauma they have suffered, they all have issues. When we try to help them deal with a negative character trait such as depression or anger, they always say, “That’s just the way I am” and I can relate because I was stuck that way for years. Always looking back at my past mistakes, I felt trapped forever with the behavior, looking to the future with fear of what I might do or what might happen to me. Then Jesus began to show me something cool. When you are being tempted, you simply live in that moment and that moment alone, deal with the present circumstance.

If you can grasp this concept, it makes it easy to resist temptation. You can do anything for one moment and when that moment is gone go to the next and the next. Don’t think ahead or behind. I want you to really think about this concept, practice it. Call on Jesus in that moment; fight the battle in that moment and that moment only.

It works by taking the pressure off; you don’t have to deal with this forever. God will fight for you. After a few minutes of testing, God takes over the fight. Just hang on for that moment.

You see, it’s not only overeating that numbs your feelings and gives you an escape, it’s the whole process. You can feel sad about something less painful than the hurt you have suffered, and with overeating there is hope that you can change things. The numbing process goes like this. You start out feeling good, you found a new diet and counting calories and writing down list and weighing everything you eat, takes your mind off your true pain. Then because you can’t allow yourself to succeed, what would you run to for the zoning out process, you fail. Then it goes like this. You will just eat a little; you will be strong tomorrow. You will just have a small sliver of chocolate cake even though you’re not in the least bit hungry. Then you take a sliver and eat it fast before you change your mind. Then you say, “I’ve blown it anyway might as well have another, I am so weak. Then the process of self-abuse begins. Then you eat the whole thing one sliver at a time, all the while telling yourself how weak and stupid you are. Then the depression about how overweight you are. Then your friend calls and tells you about a new diet and the whole process of zoning out and not really taking care of the real problem begins all over again.

Next time you get tempted to overeat, think about what you are doing right at that moment. What thoughts, feelings, or projects are you trying to avoid? Then ask God to help you deal with the issue. God revealed this to me this morning, and when I was tempted to overeat today, I stopped to see what was making me want to zone out, or change the subject of the way my thoughts were going. I realized that every time I got frustrated with something I wanted to eat. I have ADD, and sometimes things are hard for me to figure out. I wanted to avoid doing a hard part of my work, so I would reach for a candy. Just remember to stay in the moment. I have a friend who is doing this Study with me and she wrote something I thought was so smart. She said, “God puts a cap on how long Satan can tempt us.” He will flee, just stay in the moment.

II Corinthians 4:16-18 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, 18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Before God showed me this concept, I would get trapped in my thoughts, the “I have always done it that way” thoughts. The suggestion of, I’ll always do it that way. Thinking in the future of the work involved with resisting temptation, adds a lot of pressure to that situation or moment.

Love you,
Kelli
Old 03-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 149/148/125

Kelli: I have been listening to Gwen Shamblin and I do agree that some of her interputations are out of sink with the Lord. Her basic teachings on diet and God back in the 90's were great, but of lately, I am not so sure. I am starting all over again and these past few months and am distrubed about her new takes on God and His teachings. I would love to read what you wrote on that forum. Would you please send it to me. Thanks so much.
kbajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:06 AM   #13  

Default Here it is!

you can find the website at http://www.flowersoverthewall.com. It is still a real mess. I am in the process of redoing it. My husband has been editing the Study for me, so it will get better. It is an awesome Study, packed with Scripture.

Love, Kelli
Old 03-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 149/148/125

Kelli:

Thank you so much. Have a blessed day.

kbajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I participated in the Out of Egypt program through my church in the 90's. After reading this thread, I did some research and am shocked at what I learned had happened with Gwen Shamblin over the years. I just wanted to post a link to one person's experience with the Remnant Fellowship. The part that really got me was this....

"She (Gwen Shamblin) said that she had this message from the beginning. She said that she sugared coated it through Weigh Down in order to get it into the churches."

I had remembered the success I had with the program in the past and had considered trying to find if it still existed. I have decided I am glad that I got away from anything concerning Gwen Shamblin. I just wanted to let you all know what I discovered after just a bit of digging.

I mean no disrespect to any others, but want everyone to tread carefully.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote