Old 09-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #16  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
More emphasis on personal spiritual growth & process, and less emphasis on defining everything.
YES.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #17  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
HARRISMM ~
JULIE ~
You say God can tell you that...I agree but how does God tell you?
Peace! ~ Gary
This wasn't addressed to me. However, I will answer.

God speaks to me very clearly when I am still enough to listen. God doesn't need a middle man.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #18  

Height: 5'6"

I, too, am a former Catholic that now attends a Missouri Synod Lutheran church.

For the most part, I love the sermons, love the music, love the structure.

What I don't love about my church is going to seem petty, consider that your warning! I don't love dressing up. I lead a very laid back life, wear jeans to work, and since I've lost all of this weight none of my "previous life" dress clothes fit. I'm very very uncomfortable dressing up, and my church is the full dress/tie and coat kinda place. I find myself fidgeting and not focusing as much as I need to because I'm so uncomfortable.

I also don't like that I go alone. DH refuses to go to my church (he works on Sundays so can't go to church most weeks, but when he can he won't go to mine). It's too structured for him, all the sitting down and standing up at the same time, and reciting the same things at the same time.

Ideally, I'd like to find a church that he and I can agree on with a casual and fun atmosphere. I don't see it happening in the near future, but I'm still looking.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/154

W ehave two services in my church, one family service , where children, toddlers are free to make noise, because who can keep a toddler quiet when they just want to make noise.
ands one traditional service...

I would mix them up, teach people to respect both ways off worshipping.

Traditional is fantastic and so is the 'modern' worship with families.
KboP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My Presbyterian Church has a most interesting congregation. We have several former Catholics, an Episcopal Priest, when she is not working at her church she loves to worship with us and is quite active at our church,one of our newest elders is a former pastor of an independant church, and our pastor spent a year at monastery in France. And , Gary, our church is right next door to a Lutheran Church, our two chuches sometimes have joint sessions. I have been to that Lutheran Church many times.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Our church is Contemporary Baptist. Our church music is geared mostly to the younger people and the average age in the thirties who for some reason won't go to traditional church. We will be a year old next Sunday. While I miss some of the more traditional music sometimes, I really haven't found anything I would change at this time except for the fact that we are temporarily meeting in a school auditorium right now which limits what you can and cannot do. We are limited to doing what can be done in the office or in individual homes. But we know it will change hopefully early next year as we are in the process of negotiations for a more permanent home location. That is a much needed change which will be nice when it is finalized.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
My Presbyterian Church has a most interesting congregation. We have several former Catholics, an Episcopal Priest, when she is not working at her church she loves to worship with us and is quite active at our church,one of our newest elders is a former pastor of an independant church, and our pastor spent a year at monastery in France.
That sounds neat.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Default Sounds neat

Quote:
That sounds neat.
Oh, it is and even better I am in walking distance.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #24  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacilli View Post

It's too structured for him, all the sitting down and standing up at the same time, and reciting the same things at the same time.
One of the things about Mass that I detest - all the kneeling, standing, sitting combinations. I understand the reasons for it, but it still drives me crazy and is hard on a lot of older folks.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #25  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Huh? I didn't say there is more than one truth. I said people come up with some very different "truth" out of the Bible. That is why people are not my source.
I am sorry Julie...I didn't post that response very well. What I would like to ask you though is...are you against a minister/pastor/priest preaching the Word of God as long as you feel they are telling the truth as best as they have been taught and see it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
This wasn't addressed to me. However, I will answer.

God speaks to me very clearly when I am still enough to listen. God doesn't need a middle man.
I am not sure what you mean here TBG...I know we can go directly to God...without any other human being...however, His Word says we can only get to Him through Jesus Christ. Jesus says no one comes to the Father but through me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacilli View Post

For the most part, I love the sermons, love the music, love the structure.

What I don't love about my church is going to seem petty, consider that your warning! I don't love dressing up. I lead a very laid back life, wear jeans to work, and since I've lost all of this weight none of my "previous life" dress clothes fit. I'm very very uncomfortable dressing up, and my church is the full dress/tie and coat kinda place. I find myself fidgeting and not focusing as much as I need to because I'm so uncomfortable.

I also don't like that I go alone. DH refuses to go to my church (he works on Sundays so can't go to church most weeks, but when he can he won't go to mine). It's too structured for him, all the sitting down and standing up at the same time, and reciting the same things at the same time.

Ideally, I'd like to find a church that he and I can agree on with a casual and fun atmosphere. I don't see it happening in the near future, but I'm still looking.
BACILLI ~ When I first started going to my church many years ago most of the men wore suits and ties. I had long hair and was a "rebel" I guess because I wore a ling shirt and tie...no jacket! No one ever said a word...and to tell you the truth I am sure there were men there that didn't wear a tie. Over the years things have changed. Most of the time I wear jeans and a nice shirt...shorts and t-shirt sometimes if it is a Saturday night and summer....I laso wear my shirt and tie and jacket from time to time... I see both sides of the coin...we should dress up for Jesus out of respect and the other side...we should be comfortable because it isn't about clothes....I think both sides are correct. My church would agree...we have a gentleman in our church that is 61 years old...a good friend of mine...a surfer (not so much anymore but still gets on the board)....anyway if we ever saw him in church with long pants on...well...we would have a stroke!!

I am sorry you don't have a Saturday night service like we do so your husband could join you on a night he doesn't work. I used to have a problem with all the stand up---sit down...until I got used to it. In our church bulletin, given to us at service, there is a note that no one is required to stand or kneel if they are unable. Pastor says..."For those that are able, we now stand for the Gospel lesson"

A church with a casual and fun atmosphere....hummm....seems to me they have the right girl there to get that going...

Last edited by EZMONEY; 09-21-2009 at 07:42 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
I am sorry Julie...I didn't post that response very well. What I would like to ask you though is...are you against a minister/pastor/priest preaching the Word of God as long as you feel they are telling the truth as best as they have been taught and see it?
Um, no. I'm not against preaching, per se. Everyone can believe what they want to believe and tell it to whoever is willing to listen. I really have no idea how to explain how I see it. I really shouldn't be trying to do that here. My beliefs are not traditional. They're probably heretical from your point of view. And they're not even well-formed. So, nevermind.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #27  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KboP View Post
W ehave two services in my church, one family service , where children, toddlers are free to make noise, because who can keep a toddler quiet when they just want to make noise.
ands one traditional service...

I would mix them up, teach people to respect both ways off worshipping.

Traditional is fantastic and so is the 'modern' worship with families.
As I mentioned at our church we provide nursery care during service and also a cry room for those that choose. Most of those with kids sit in the back, left hand side of the church...always have...we did 25+ years ago when our kids were little...close to the cry room if needed. Angie and I still sit back there...kids don't bother me...heck I cause most of the trouble teasing them! We aslo have a children's message during service and hand out coloring pages for them. I also like the traditional and modern feel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
My Presbyterian Church has a most interesting congregation. We have several former Catholics, an Episcopal Priest, when she is not working at her church she loves to worship with us and is quite active at our church,one of our newest elders is a former pastor of an independant church, and our pastor spent a year at monastery in France. And , Gary, our church is right next door to a Lutheran Church, our two chuches sometimes have joint sessions. I have been to that Lutheran Church many times.
Sounds like a fun place to be BARGOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Our church is Contemporary Baptist. Our church music is geared mostly to the younger people and the average age in the thirties who for some reason won't go to traditional church. We will be a year old next Sunday. While I miss some of the more traditional music sometimes, I really haven't found anything I would change at this time except for the fact that we are temporarily meeting in a school auditorium right now which limits what you can and cannot do. We are limited to doing what can be done in the office or in individual homes. But we know it will change hopefully early next year as we are in the process of negotiations for a more permanent home location. That is a much needed change which will be nice when it is finalized.
Prayers that your church continues to grow into a new home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
One of the things about Mass that I detest - all the kneeling, standing, sitting combinations. I understand the reasons for it, but it still drives me crazy and is hard on a lot of older folks.
As I mentioned above Anne...we stand and sit and kneel a lot...but it is never required fopr those that can't. Funny story here...I often tease my son about having to call the fire department about getting his feet stuck under the pew, when kneeling, if it happens...he has a size 14...my 11's barely make it. Anyway, my ex-father in law has big feet and last year he was in town and came to our church (my ex and I both go to the same service and sit together most of the time) anyway he was sitting next to me...now he is almost 80....we kneeled....and time to get up he was struggling...but wasn't saying anything...my ex-mil sitting on the other side of me says...OMGod...I think Grandpa is having a heart attack.... I busted up...and said..no ma...his feet are just stuck!...we had a tough time getting him un-stuck! I made him sit the rest of the service!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #28  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Um, no. I'm not against preaching, per se. Everyone can believe what they want to believe and tell it to whoever is willing to listen. I really have no idea how to explain how I see it. I really shouldn't be trying to do that here. My beliefs are not traditional. They're probably heretical from your point of view. And they're not even well-formed. So, nevermind.
Don't you "never mind" me girl....

sometimes it is hard to share our thoughts in posts....

always your friend ~ Gary
Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #29  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I would make everyone sit "up front" and NEXT to each other
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #30  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

SCOOTER ~ I will have you know I ALWAYS! sit in the 5th pew from the back on the far left side...Pastor is on the far right...I sit in the Good Shepherd stained glass row....and to be honest there are 8 rows in front of me...usually no more than a total of 5 people, unless a HOLIDAY....but I like it there...I can see Pastor from that distance and can my right ear is my good ear...I ain't movin'!

We had an older couple...since passed...the husband would always say "Gary, someone tried to sit in your seats last week but I kicked them out!"...whenever we missed early church!!