3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Faith Based Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups-127/)
-   -   Jewish dieters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups/175509-jewish-dieters.html)

2beautiful2Bfat 06-29-2009 03:18 PM

Jewish dieters

Any other jewish dieters here? Let's share tips for how to get through the upcoming holidays!

Beck 07-14-2009 04:36 PM

I'm a Jewish mama and new to 3FC.

MrsJerseyben 08-20-2009 11:06 AM

Jewish here... dreading the yumminess of Rosh Hashanah and the hunger of Yom Kippur. If I get too hungry, I have a tendency to overeat.

JessLess 07-05-2010 08:42 PM

שָׁלוֹם
:stardav:

New loser here.

Eliana 07-05-2010 09:07 PM

I am converting to Judaism...does that count? LOL! I'm glad you posted!

As for getting through holidays...I find I do ok if I allow myself a few bites of everything I want, but not more than that.

JessLess 07-05-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliana (Post 3372337)
I am converting to Judaism...does that count? LOL! I'm glad you posted!

As for getting through holidays...I find I do ok if I allow myself a few bites of everything I want, but not more than that.

Of COURSE it counts!

JessLess 12-04-2010 12:38 PM

My husband made baked latkes for Hannukah with white potatoes, onion, egg, salt & pepper, 3 tbs. whole wheat flour, baking powder and Pam (canola oil). He baked them in a 425-450 oven for 10 minutes or so on each side.

They were delicious, but I didn't feel well after I ate them. Maybe I ate too many. It was also the first time I had had a white potato in 6 months or so. I think I had two potatoes all together. Those do not seem to agree with me.

Anyway, happy Hannukah everyone who celebrates and please share your light latke recipes.

2beautiful2Bfat 12-05-2010 03:53 PM

Hey Jess Happy Chanukah. I only got back on track on thursday so wednesday night I made a feast. I ate cheese latkes and potato latkes and a donut! But the rest I have been good. Tonight I have a party so I am a little concerned.

As for light recipes have you tried making latkes out of zuchinni or sweet potato? Also good and healthier than the regular version. I may try your recipe tomorrow but sub in sweet potato.

I'm already getting worried about purim cuz I'm a real nosher!!

Mirj 12-20-2010 09:34 AM

Shalom from Israel! I just joined today and am glad to have survived Chanuka with not much gain, and seem to be the only one in my family happy that there are not major eating fests until Purim!

Squishy90 01-20-2011 09:22 PM

Ohhhhh I'm going to be so bad on purim :(

Eliana 01-21-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squishy90 (Post 3666083)
Ohhhhh I'm going to be so bad on purim :(

Why? :D You don't have to be! It's no different than any other eating occasion. You don't have to eat all the festive foods. To me the holiday is more about the story, anyway. Set yourself up for what you will and won't eat and make sure there are some good, healthy foods you can eat. Maybe plan ahead that you will only drink one alcoholic beverage. ;)

JessLess 04-23-2011 10:13 PM

I went to a Passover Seder potluck today and I have no idea how to count the calories. I am not very good at guessing what other people cooked with. Chocolate covered Matzo is not generally on plan for me. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Gali 11-28-2013 08:10 PM

I'm a secular Jew, does it count? I don't believe and not into celebrating holidays and following the traditions, but I consider myself Jewish by my race :)

tefrey 12-09-2013 12:31 PM

Hey there!

I am not Jewish but I spend a fair amount of time in Israel ... in fact I'm back for three weeks on Friday.

I was wondering if there are any Israeli dieters around, and if they have tips for dieting in Israel. So much of your food is fresh and healthy but it's also soooooo yummy that portion control is hard!

Thanks for any advice you might have!

lucindaarrowspark 02-02-2014 11:54 AM

I am A jewish dieter. And I need HELP

I am jewish. We celebrate and honor the Sabbath which means FOOD. Family food wine lovingly and elegantly served. I use my china and we eat in the formal dining room. We invite guests and we have lively conversations as dinner continues past 11 pm. I try to monitor what I consume but Shabbes makes it hard. However in the past 3 weeks I have not fallen off my wagon. I feel paranoid sometimes when going to shul, sometimes I feel eyes on me measuring my body size. THin women hang out together after services and the fatties gravitate toward one another too. I wish I wasn't so self aware of how fat I grew over the past two years but I don not exercise anymore b/c it hurts my joints and then I can't move for a month so I gain more weight. I know Hashem loves me and does not care how much I weigh.