Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #76  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Alex
Welcome. So happy to hear you have found the path again our Lord wants us to walk. My daughter will turn 18 pretty soon and in the last year she too has found the path again. It is great to have those around us walking the path but that doesn't always make us do it. For some, winter is a terrible time to work on weight loss. For others it is the best time. I find winter time a great time to lose weight. There is less time out side so less time of wanting to grab something to eat. All you need to do is set yourself a plan. Doesn't matter if it is set plan like Jenny Craig or a plan like many of us use like counting calories. Either way, you set a plan for yourself and stick with it. Losing weight really isn't all that hard as long as your don't have health issues or medication issues. You eat right and exercise and those two things have a great side effect. You lose weight and have a toned body. Good luck. Please let us know how things are going and ask for advice if you need it. I am sure someone here can help out with some ideas.

mj
Glad calorie counting has worked for you. To me, calorie counting is the most natural way to take weight off. We need those required amounts of the four basic food groups. There is a reason that pyramid was set up. To bad many of us didn't pay attention to the information we were giving in grade school. We wouldn't have gotten to where we were when we need to take off weight lol.

Blue
Counting really does work. I have the problem of having top deal with weight gain when I am on the meads but counting keeps me from gaining more than I would have AND when I get off the meads it helps me keep on track and get the weight back off. You have to eat a ton of food to eat the required amounts of the four basic food groups a day. Planning is really the key. I happen to use fit day but anyway you want to keep track of what you eat is fine. Plan tonight what you are going to eat tomorrow. That way you know you have all the foods eaten you need to eat for a healthy diet. You know you are within the general ranges of calories, fats and carbs you set for yourself AND you still have room left to have a snack ( a snack is not an apple, a snack is something that does not fit into those food groups ) I personally love skinny cow ice cream sandwiches. They are low in fat and calories and taste great. Weight watchers has a totally yummy fudge bar too. This isn't about doing without. This journey we are all on to a more healthy and thinner body is about being in control of what goes into our body's. Being in control of making good choices of the foods we eat so we have a healthy diet. Exercise is real important along with eating right. Toning the body does so much for us not only physically but mentally. When we see the changes WE have made and what WE have accomplished the dedication WE put into taking care of our selfs is well worth the effort.

Counting
I haven't even done my weigh in yet and 10 pounds heck I bet I will have put more on than that. I am surprised it took so long for the weight to come back on. Oh yes, it is water weight. You can just look at my skin and tell that. Doesn't really matter lol extra weight is extra weight. It is hard to know how long it took me to get it off and it will probably take me that long to take it off again. I won't make my goal by my birthday. On the other hand. It is all ok. I will take it off again and I have been staying on plan. There is no...oh well the weight is coming back on because of the meads so I might as well eat what I want. No way, no how. I have been sticking to plan and exercising all I can. The meads can control the weight, they can NOT control what I put into my mouth.

The one thing I think all of us need to remember. I include myself in this (all of us) . We do nothing alone. No one can tell us what to put into our mouths. No one can make us exercise. No one makes the choices for us we do that BUT we are not alone.

When you think you are on this journey all alone. When there isn't a person in sight to give you the encouragement you need. Remember GOD is right there beside you. Probably yelling put down that candy bar. All we have to do is listen.

God wants us to be the best we can be. He doesn't want us to be unhealthy. He doesn't want us to be unhappy. He gave us the ability to help our selfs become the best we can be. He is there for us to help us along the way.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 08-19-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 255/238.6/150

Height: 5'8

Alex~ Hey girl! Welcome to the group... I am SO happy that you are living the life of a believer... I dont even know you and that excites the heck out of me! Im 24 and my husband and I just started on our path as well... Let me tell you, we've had our ups and downs lately. I grew up in a church as well, I just didnt have the best example at home... All that is behind me now... I know that I need to trust GOD in all that I do.
Here is a scripture that helps me...

Matthew 7:25-34
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you to much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
And why do you worry aobut clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or ' What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Fathers knows that you need them. But seek first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough troble of its own.

God is good all the time... We need to remember that God is big enough to handle ALL of our problems... Hey, he created this WHOLE world... Dont you think he can help us out with our situations... Regaurdless of what they are... Keep the faith girl... Make sure you keep up with your daily bread... Thats the only way you will grow! Good luck...

Last edited by mjhenderson; 08-19-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 353/324/190

Height: 5'9"

Default I am excited to find other Christians here!

Hello. My name is Liz. I am 28 and I started the South Beach Diet yesterday. I have been going to the gym since January but I haven't lost any pounds, only inches. What a blessing to find Christian fellowship on here! I am a young Christian as I have only been walking for about a year. I am looking forward to this weight loss journey.

~Liz
Old 08-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #79  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Alex and Liz - It's really nice to keep seeing new people come into the forum and 3fc! You'll get a lot of support here, for both spiritual and physical health, so come back often.

Hello to everyone else, too! Sounds like everyone is busy, busy, busy. We're just trying to get DS2's schedule straight now with classes at the school and football practices and his studies at home, as well. I know it's been a long time since I was in high school or taught in high school, but when did schools go to this crazy '6-day' schedule where some classes meet on even days and some on odd days? I may never be able to keep straight when he's supposed to be where And, now, it seems all the running and stress has caused my back to flare up(even though I go to PT twice a week). Last night, I must have twisted wrong and my right leg wouldn't even support me anymore and the pain shot all the way to my foot again. Whole leg was still aching all day today. Might be having an exacerbation of the MS-like symptoms, too, as I'm having tingling and trouble swallowing, which you'd think would be good (lol), as I eat verrrrry slowly, but for some reason, I keep wanting to snack

Oh, well, I'm sure the stress will ease when we get into a rhythm here. Not going to start with the home lessons until after Labor Day, so we can try to prolong what little is left of summer! Would like to get some action on this house, but we may be stuck for the winter, now, because houses just don't sell here after school starts

Prayers for you all. And blessings, too. Our pastor has been teaching in Galatians this summer and one of this week's verses brought you all to mind:

"We should help people whenever we can, especially if they are followers of the Lord." Galations 6:10
Old 08-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 256/256/150

Height: 5'5"

MJHenderson- Thanks!!! I love that passage. And thank you for the support. I've been trying to become a better Christian, but it's hard to break certain habits. :/ And I can fully understand what you're talking about, with the growing up in church, but I'm not sure I can say I haven't had great examples. My Aunt Gere, who just passed away last month, was a very, very religious person. She believed to the fullest that God would take care of her, as long as she believed in Him. And now, I believe the same. I think she would be very happy to know that.

Ronni- Thank you for the welcome. :] I hope to be able to visit this place often.

Shy- Thanks for the advice! I'm still working out the kinks in my plan, and I'm sure I will have to adjust as it gets colder here. But, I know that I'll have some help to figure something out.

Last edited by alex19114; 08-19-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #81  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi all, hope you are having a GREAT Tuesday!

Rosebud - Moderation is my mantra these days. It is such a simple concept that is so hard to master! Prayers continuing for healing.

Blue - Just let us know how we can help you if you get stuck. Calorie counting can be confusing, but it is worth it!

Shy - Hang in there, I know how frustrated you are with being back on your meds. But - I'm so proud of you for sticking with it. You have come so far! And - look how well you are doing - WHILE on your meds! What a change from just a couple years ago! Your courage and perseverance are inspirational!

Alex - don't give another thought about winter - take it a day at a time. I can personally attest that you CAN continue to lose weight in the winter (and it is snowy and cold and yucky much of the winter up here). You will be able to find ways to keep exercising in the winter. Many of us use videos in the winter (WATP - Walk Away the Pounds are GREAT). Also, the folk here at 3FC are a great support system. You can always find someone that relates to how you are feeling/doing around here

MJ - thanks for posting the Matthew scripture. It is one of my favorites. And it is surely a message that I need to hear - repeatedly :LOL: Such comforting and TRUE words!!!

Liz Glad you found us! I have found that I have to do both - calorie count AND exercise to lose weight. One without the other just didn't work very well. Good luck with SB - several folk are very successful using it. I like some of their products and have incorporated them into my plan

Ronni - I will keep you in my prayers - your health, and your schedule. Fall is such a crazy time when you have kids!

I'm doing well, though very busy now that teachers are returning to school (and one elementary building has already started).

I continue to keep all of you in my prayers!

Blessings!

Laurie
Old 08-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 188/183/160

Height: 5' 8"

Hi all, can I hang out here too?

I posted an introduction, but the short version is I'm a mom of 3, happily married, serving Jesus, and taking it one day at at time. My weight loss goal is in my signature.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 255/238.6/150

Height: 5'8

HEY LIZ AND Inky~ Welcome to the group... I am also kinda new so its all good... Everyone here is so nice and helpful! Good luck on your goal... Shoot your almost there~
Old 08-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #84  
Rennie

Well, today was the big day. I knew over the last couple of weeks the weight was coming on in droves. My clothes are all really tight. I went to see my knew doc today and did a new weight in. Yes, a ton of weight gain but that is ok. I know where I am. He said two more weeks of meads and then he wants me off of them to see how things are going. No problem. This too shall pass.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 08-20-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #85  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

WOWIE ~ lots of NEWBIES have joined this week; and that's just great: the more the merrier, as SHY likes to say!

LIZ, INKYMAMA, and ALEX ~ this is a great place; the people are nice and very supportive. Come back often and post lots ... as you can put up a ticker after 10 posts (oops, seems like that has changed).

RONNI ~ sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well; will send up special prayers for you this week. I'm sure things with your DS school will get sorted out eventually; but it is true, things aren't the way they use to be for sure, but no-one seems to know why! LOL!

HANG IN THERE, SHY ~ we all have our setbacks and struggles on this journey, and you know the meds are needed to help you feel better. Soon you'll be off them, and can attack those few pounds again: you have a wonderful positive attitude and that always helps too.

BLUE SERENITY ~ I have found portions have helped me keep my sugars in line too; have been able to cut down my meds and testing drastically as a result (have stayed in the 'normal' blood sugar range consistantly for well over a year now and my doctor is very happy about that).

COUNTING ~ oh yes, MODERATION is a simple concept as is PORTIONS, but it does take some time to learn in daily practice. If we already had that mastered, we wouldn't have become overweight in the first place, but stuff happens; life happens: and we can get bogged down with illness, injuries, hurts, and unhealthy choices. Sometimes, we try to please others too much and forget to look after ourselves: I think moms and spouses can relate to this a lot.

I know for me at least, that for about ten years, I was not happy with my life or myself; I was doing everything to please my husband, my family, and others, so I didn't take care of myself at all. A few years back, I had a wake-up call from GOD: I got very sick! I woke up: and I determined that I was going to take back my life again.

I made a lot of changes, for the better; some were easy, some were harder; some came fast and some took awhile, but I am not the same person for sure. Now, I stand up for myself, and I demand to live how I believe we should according to our walk with the LORD. We are also taking major steps to fulfill dreams that for some unknown reason, were put on hold! We are trying to live healthier in every way: but, with a Christian focus first and foremost in our lives.

We are having hot weather today, so it's perfect for clothes on the line. Staying home close to the A/C this week as Dh has stuff to do around here. I picked some green and yellow beans this week; and we had them for dinner last night with roasted chicken, and they were yummy. Also put up some more Rhubarb that I cooked with apples and cinnamon: tastes like apple pie, but without the crust.

Well, that's all the news for now; remember to take good care of yourselves, your fellow encourager ROSEBUD ^^PRAYERS^^ continue for you and yours ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-20-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #86  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

INKY - We LOVE new folk around here. Come back often and let us know how you are doing!

Shy - Hang in there, girl! Two weeks - then the weight will fly off! You can do it (you have so many times already). I'm praying for you!!!

Rosebud - such wise words. I really relate to your post. It was so hard to begin to treat myself as I treated others. It didn't come naturally, and I still struggle some days. But, I'm growing daily

The dessert sounds wonderful! Sounds very much like something my MIL makes - and it is divine!

Doing great here - colonscopy prep tomorrow (being 50 has some major DISadvantages), so I am likely to be pretty grumpy. But and ounce of prevention ...

Have a great evening all - prayers continuing for all!
Old 08-20-2008, 11:57 PM   #87  
Intuitive Eater

Hello!

mjhenderson, sounds like you're doing well! The scale has been good to you! Congratulations! I hope my scale will be as good to me now that I'm counting my calories too! lol

alex19114, welcome to the group! You have definitely come to the right place for support! Just keep coming back, especially on bad days when you don't want to!

Shy, you said something that really opened my eyes ...
Quote:
This isn't about doing without.
I tend to be a perfectionist (albeit a recovering one) and so when I take on something, such as weight-loss, I give it my full gusto and really try to do things perfectly. Somehow what you said made me realize that that is my problem. I'm too strict on myself and when I fail I beat myself up over it. I'm an imperfect person trying to cram myself into some perfect mold (that I'll NEVER fit into.) Hmmmm. This goes waaaaayyyyy deeper than weight-loss. But regarding the weight loss, I haven't been allowing myself much wiggle room so it's no wonder I fall off the wagon and get discouraged so much. Someone else posted about calorie cycling in another thread and when I asked what that was this person explained that some days you eat fewer calories and other days you eat more. I've never heard of that before but even that bit of info made me realize that my 1600-calorie-a-day strict regime was just me trying to keep it all neat and tidy. Even the foods I avoid (and then go and binge on), fall into my perfectionistic ways too. Gee. I really need to "lighten up!" (No pun intended. lol) So thank you, Shy, you've been ever so helpful!

Welcome to you, too, newcreation2911 and InkyMama! That's an interesting screen name you have, newcreation2911. And InkyMama, your avatar is too funny!

Thanks, CountingDown. I'm so glad you all are here! You know, I think I'm gonna be alright! I'm just thanking God for opening my eyes wide enough to see what my real problem is.

Take good care of yourself Ronni62! Sounds painful!

Rosebud, good for you! Your doc should be happy! (But more importantly, you should!)

Hello to everyone else out there! Have a great day (tomorrow)!
Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 316/304/185

Good Morning Everyone

Well, I had another weigh-in Tuesday evening and have lost 1 more pound. That makes 10 since July 1. It sure is coming off slow, but I know that slow is better, so I will hang in there...

I began a new adventure at church last Sunday. I now have the 2-3 yr olds for Sunday School. By the end of the hour I was looking for my duct tape. I am 57 yrs old and did not remember how fast those little ones can move. I am looking forward to this Sunday, but I will be more prepared - maybe I will leave the duct tape home. HA

I spent this morning reading all of the new posts. Welcome everyone. It is great to have so many newbies here

I wish all of you a great week.

In His Hands

TACKLENURSE
Old 08-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #89  
Rennie

Tack
Duct tape is a necessary teaching tool lol.

Blue
That is the very reason I allow myself between 1200 and 1400 calories. I have the same problem. Trying to be perfect about everything. For years I ran myself ragged taking care of everyone else. Doing all that needed to be done. Now I have laid off myself or laid myself off I'm not sure which lol. I don't have to try to be perfect. I say this after I have gone through the house and made sure everything is in its place and checked my to do list lol.

Counting
Thanks. I know it will come off. Am a little bummed that I won't reach my goal by my birthday but I am looking forward to next summer when I am where I want to be.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #90  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Hello Everyone. I feel like i have been MIA for a while. Things have been pretty hectic, but i have been praying for everyone.

to the 3 newbies! This is a great place to be

Blue~ I see you popped over to the calorie counters fourm. Thats a great place. Ive been doing it since april and have had some success. I took a little cebatical from it, but now know that wont happen again.

Not too much time to chat now, but i just wanted to let everyone know that you are all in my prayers.
Closed Thread