Old 03-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #1  

Default Obedience?

I have been praying to God for a long while to bless me with a child. I have lost over 100 pounds today..and I am keeping it off, which is a major accomplishment for me.

I lost the weight with God's help..praying that he would take the strong desire to stuff myself all day long..and to let me experience TRUE hunger and stop when I felt fullness. He heard my prayer..and I no longer feel the need to stuff myself all day long.

I have been praying so hard to become pregnant..and I clearly hear/feel the holy spirit instructing me to completing GIVE up SUGAR. I have not been obedient. I eat some sugar at least four times a week. I don't understand why I can't stop?? I am so sad..and confused. I think I am rewarding myself in some silly way...because I have did so good not over-eating..Yes..I lost weight eating sugar..I often have cookies and milk for a snack..it is just that I will have four cookies, instead of whole sleeve..like I use to do.

I just want to be obedient..and eat no sugar..I know God is in full control, he is all-knowing. What if...just what if..I give up sugar..my hormones are more nomalized (dr. said that is my problem) and I become pregnant.

What is wrong with me? Anyone struggle with hearing that inner guide..and yet still be dis-obedient.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

Height: 5'9"

Skinny4baby, it sounds like you are really down on yourself. I think it is phenomenal that you have lost 100 lbs! If you have come this far, then you can definitely make it to your goal. Plateaus are never fun! I heard on Oprah that the more sugar you eat, the more sugar you crave, which I completely agree with. 2 things that have helped me stop eating unhealthy snacks are 1) Buy almonds and herbal tea, (providing you are not allergic to nuts). Almonds are sweet, satisfying and full of protein. I crave a handful of almonds these days like I used to crave chocolate. Herbal tea (no adding sugar) makes me feel warm and full on those evenings when you just want something more, but you know you shouldn't. Green tea is great, but there are tons of teas out there. 2) When I want to go buy something junky, I look up how much that item will cost and then I use that money to buy fresh cut flowers and put them into a vase in my place, by the time the flowers are set up the craving is over, I have something bright and cheerful in my house which is a great reward and they are a reminder of my ability to make healthy choices. Also "To err is human, to forgive is divine". I think you deserve to forgive yourself for making poor choices and move forward. All the best to you!
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

LOL - even Paul did! We ALL do. We aren't perfect. Get as much of the ready-to-eat sugar out of your life as you can. And, I agree, once you are successful in eliminating it, you stop craving it. I can walk by a plate of home-made cookies at church coffee hour and NOT grab one (where I would have grabbed 3 or 4 in the past). Have patience with yourself. Keep praying for strength. Spend time with God's word. Come back here and let us know how you are doing.

I love Ecclesiastes - to everything there IS a season, and a time and purpose for everything. Stay strong, God will bless your faithfulness
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #4  
goin' for goal!

S/C/G: 234.6/232.6/150

Height: 5'2.5"

Skinny4baby, congratulations on your wonderful weight loss! And you've kept it off! That's great!

I totally understand about not obeying. I admit that there was a specific day when I felt impressed in my heart that God wanted me to lose weight. That was 17 years ago. Yes, 17 years. I've only gotten bigger, even though at times, I've tried to lose weight, but I didn't. I repeatedly just wanted what I wanted when I wanted it, whether God wanted me to have it or not. I'm ashamed of that, and I should be. That's not the way I should treat the One who saved me from **** and bought me for Himself with the blood of His own Son. I realize this, yet I continue to disobey over and over again.

What to do about it? We can ask God to forgive us, then forgive ourselves, and then go on to do the best we can, depending on His strength. Thank God that when and if we disobey again, we *can* start over, hopefully with even more resolve.

I hope you're able to eliminate the sugar. I hope I actually lose the excess weight and keep it off. Once again, congratulations!!
fitchick2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #5  

Thanks ladies! I appreciate your words. I have a plan that I am working on...I will let the sugar until I reach my goal..maybe not today...but very soon. I'll let you ladies go...me and the Lord are working it out together.

fitchick....I read the book The Weigh Down Diet..the original old book by Gwen Shamblin. This book was very powerful for me...it taught me that NO food is off limits...and that I have TOTAL control over food..I can eat what I want..when I want, and STOP when I am full. Before I read this book..I would start Monday after Monday...and feel like a full failure IF I ate one bite of something not considered diet food?? It was a awful mind game. I just know that I am stuck at 259...and I know I feel the holy spirit directing me to give up the sugar and exercise more...and my body will reward me and reach my goal weight of 199. I know that sugar does not have to be off-limits for the rest of my life..I just know that I can cut it out until I reach my goal weight.

The book is really old...but I am sure you can order if really cheap off of Amazon.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Skinny4baby - I led a Weighdown Workshop group 11 years ago. It helped me finally lose the weight I had been carrying around for 10 years. It is a good program. Unfortunately, after 3 years, I changed jobs and changed my eating. An extra 100 calories a day adds up to 80 lbs. in 8 years. I am working through Faithully Fit this time around. It is another wonderful book which helps put food where it belongs - far below God on the worship and adore meter.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

SKINNY ~ can you try having cookies only once a week or month and/or only having two instead of four? You know, small steps ... Can you find a sub for them like sugarless cookies, fruit, and sugarfree jello? I'm not sure what you mean that sugar was messing with your hormones, but if sugar is a problem for your health (ie high blood sugar levels); then it would be a good idea to cut back for awhile.

Try an experiment with yourself: have no sweets for a week and then go from there. Look for something else to have for your snacks. One day, one week or one month is very doable; try that and then see how you feel. Just remember that some old habits take time to change; just replace them with healthy new ones.

I don't bother agonizing over food anymore. I am just trying to eat healthy and get some regular exercise; and GOD knows and see that. You are doing amazingly well; and you must feel so much better. Just keep on, keepin' on ... GOD has a plan, and His timing is better for all of us!

ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote