Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #316  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotional for Dieters

October 26

1 Peter 4:1-2
Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

Barney knew he could lose weight. He'd given up cigarettes, and that was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do. If he could do away with cigarettes, he was positive he could lose weight. A friend had once told him that if he was suffering, he knew he was on the right track. Nothing worth doing came easy. Barney asked God for strength as he set about losing weight. When he felt he was suffering the most, that's when he relied most heavily on God. A little suffering never hurt anyone, especially when it was done in order to attain good health.

Today's thought: I suffer now so that I can enjoy the rest of my life!
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #317  
Trying to live below 200

October 27

Hebrews 12:12
Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees.

Monica hated evenings that she had to spend alone. When she was with friends, she felt so much stronger. She put forth all her energy to have a good time when she went out. On the nights she stayed home, however, she just didn't have the strength to put on a happy front. Dieting was so much more difficult without help from friends. It is good to know that God is ever with us. On those occasions when there is no one around to help us, we can turn to God for strength and endurance. He helps us pick ourselves up and con-tinue on our way. He strengthens feeble knees and lifts hands that hang down.

Today's thought: My energy comes from a source other than food!
Old 10-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #318  
Trying to live below 200

October 28

James 5:16
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

The best idea the group ever had was to pray for one another. Every Monday morning, they got together for exercise and a Bible study. They talked about their diets and how things were going, and they had to announce publicly what their weight was and how much they had lost or gained. Then, they promised to pray for one another, and they swapped telephone numbers so they could give a call of encouragement through the week. It was a wonderful system, and it helped so much to know you weren't dieting alone. The power of a well-meant prayer was amazing. It made dieting much easier.

Today's thought: A prayer a day keeps the flabbies away!
Old 10-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #319  
Trying to live below 200

October 29

Nehemiah 8:10
Then he said unto the, 'Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the Lord is your strength.'

Patrick always hated programs on starving people around the world. The minute they would come on, he would turn off the television. What business was it of his if people half-way around the world were starving? He had all he needed, and he worked hard for it. So what if he was overweight? He earned that right because he was born in America! The Bible teaches us that God gives us an abundance for just one reason: so that we will share it with those in need. If we take the bounty God offers and are selfish or gluttonous with it, then we are saying to God that we won't live as His children. We should take only what we need, and share the rest, for that is the way of God.

Today's thought: I have more than I need, and I don't really need much of what I want.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:31 AM   #320  
Trying to live below 200

October 30

Psalm 37:39
But the salvation of the righteous is of the Lord: he is their strength in the time of trouble.

Bob had a terrible dream. Food kept coming at him from every direction. Wherever it touched him, it stuck to him. Before long he couldn't move. He had trouble breathing. He had trouble seeing. He was hot and slimy. He kept trying to reach out for help, but no help came. He was buried under a mountain of food. As he lay awake thinking of the dream, he realized that it wasn't far from the truth. He was buried by a mountain of food become flesh. He did have trouble breathing and moving. It wasn't worth it. Silently, he reached out for help in a meek and humble prayer. God, the Source of salvation, reached back.

Today's thought: God, save me from an appetite seldom satisfied!
Old 10-31-2016, 07:59 AM   #321  
Trying to live below 200

October 31

Philippians 2:14-15
Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world.

Peggy kept looking at her daughter's trick-or-treat bag. Her daughter had made a grand haul of chocolates and sugary candies. It was all Peg could do to keep her hands off it. A little devil inside kept telling her that her daughter wouldn't miss a few pieces. Peggy wanted to dive in so badly it hurt. She walked over to the bag and looked in. On its own, her hand moved toward the sweets. She was about to grab a handful when a still small voice stopped her. What had she been trying to teach her daughter about honesty and respecting things that weren't hers? Now she was attempting to pilfer her daughter's trick-or-treat bag because she wanted candy. When would she ever learn some strength and self-restraint?

Today's thought: I will avoid things that make me less of a person, but more of a body!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #322  
Trying to live below 200

November 1

Hebrews 6:10
For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

What a great reward! Robin had never looked so good. All her months of dieting paid off royally. It was beautiful to see the expressions on people's faces when they saw her. She couldn't wait to go out to show herself off. God had certainly blessed her through the rough time of dieting. There were days when she decided it just wasn't worth it. Now, she could hardly believe she ever had doubts. Looking in the mirror, she even surprised herself. She never thought she'd look this good. When we dedicate ourselves to doing things that are right and good to do, God is sure to bless us and reward us for our labors.

Today's thought: Improvement comes with practice. I can even get good at dieting!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #323  
Trying to live below 200

November 2

James 1:2
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations.

Renee really felt good whenever she had the strength to say no to food that was offered to her. Each time she could refuse eating, it made her feel she'd won a moral victory. Mentally, she kept score. It became a game to see how often she could hold out between defeats. In a strange way, it made her diet enjoyable. She felt she was really accomplishing something that was important. By the end of about four months, Renee was able to defeat just about every temptation that came along. She felt God's pleasure as she grew more able to decline treats. That joy made her diet fly by.

Today's thought: Diets can be fun, especially when they're done!
Old 11-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #324  
Trying to live below 200

November 3

Psalms 126:6
He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.

The groaning was over. The long nights of hunger lay behind. For some strange reason, the diet was getting easier. Finally, Diane's body had gotten the message that snacks and heavy meals were no more. The cravings and cryings of her stomach subsided. It had been a tough war, but Diane felt she had scored a victory at long last. All the weeping was behind, and she felt a wonderful joy. She knew that plenty of tough times lay ahead, but she also knew she could handle them. With God's help, she would make it. The hardest part was behind her.

Today's thought: When I take it one day at a time, the days fall away as fast as the pounds!

Last edited by Diana3271; 11-03-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:57 AM   #325  
Trying to live below 200

November 4

Luke 15:10
'Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.'

Paul fumbled with his keys outside his apartment. When he tried the lock, the door swung inward. Cautiously, he entered. As he switched on the light a dozen of his friends and neighbors jumped out, shouting, 'Surprise!' They had come out to offer a congratulations party for the sixty pounds Paul had been able to lose. It was such a wonderful moment. Paul had felt joyful about what he had done for some time, but it was something special to have friends celebrate with him. God had blessed Paul so much. Not only had He helped him when he dieted, but He gave him such good friends.

Today's thought: To gain means starvation; to lose, jubilation!
Old 11-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #326  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post

November 2

James 1:2
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations.

Renee really felt good whenever she had the strength to say no to food that was offered to her. Each time she could refuse eating, it made her feel she'd won a moral victory. Mentally, she kept score. It became a game to see how often she could hold out between defeats. In a strange way, it made her diet enjoyable. She felt she was really accomplishing something that was important. By the end of about four months, Renee was able to defeat just about every temptation that came along. She felt God's pleasure as she grew more able to decline treats. That joy made her diet fly by.

Today's thought: Diets can be fun, especially when they're done!

This story really spoke to me Diana! Thank you for posting these each day.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #327  
Trying to live below 200

November 5

Matthew 5:11
'Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.'

Ken could hardly wait to get back to school. Peter had ridden him about his weight the entire year before. When Ken had vowed to lose weight over the summer, Pete had laughed at him. 'Fat boy, you can't keep away from food. You'll be back, big as a beach ball. Don't kid yourself!' Ken could hardly wait to make Pete eat those words. He had spent the entire summer as a Christian youth counselor at camp. The people there were so supportive of what he was trying to do. They had made it possible. Not only had they helped him lose weight, but they helped him show Peter just how wrong he could be!

Today's thought: I'm going to prove that there's more to me than my weight!
Old 11-06-2016, 07:22 AM   #328  
Trying to live below 200

November 6

Mark 10:49-50
And Jesus stood still, and commanded him to be called. And they call the blind man, saying unto him, 'Be of good comfort, rise; he calleth thee.' And he, casting away his garment, rose, and came to Jesus.

Kate was so thankful. God had truly blessed her. She had been on the verge of collapse, and the doctor told her that her weight had to go. Reluctantly, she had started to diet, not expecting any great results. She prayed for God to help her, because she felt so weak. When the doctor gave he a clean bill of health, she closed her eyes and prayed. God is God of the impossible. When we say 'can't,' He says 'can.' Faith is believing that God can, and will, help us when we are in need. God cares for His children, and for that we should be eternally grateful.

Today's thought: I'd rather be grateful than have another plateful!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #329  
Trying to live below 200

November 7

Philippians 4:19
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

It really wasn't fair that so many thin people couldn't understand what it meant to be fat. Patty got mad when skinny friends chastised her for not sticking to her diet better. What did they know? Patty was always so thankful to God for what weight she'd been able to lose already that she could never understand why her friends put her down. Didn't they know what she had to sacrifice? Whenever Patty got mad at her friends, she asked God to help calm her down. His peace filled her heart, and she was able to relax. God had done so much for her while she dieted. Too bad her friends couldn't see it.

Today's thought: God is with me when it feels like the world is against me!
Old 11-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #330  
Trying to live below 200

November 8

1 Thessalonians 3:9
For what thanks can we render to God again for you, for all the joy wherewith we joy for your sakes before our God.

Gail wished she could do more for Mrs. Cooper. One night Mrs. Cooper had passed by her apartment and heard Gail crying. She stopped to see if there was anything she could do to help. Gail told her about her diet and how hard it was. Mrs. Cooper had been very sympathetic, and had spent many hours with her since. She helped take Gail's mind off food. Gail really felt strongly that she wouldn't have made it through the diet without Mrs. Cooper. We have someone who will listen to us when things get to be too much for us. That someone is God, and we can be thankful that He is ever with us, ready to listen to the concerns of our hearts.

Today's thought: Let your praises to God be louder than the grumblings of your stomach!