Old 09-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #286  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotional for Dieters

September 28

Isaiah 41:13
For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.

When Jenny was young, her mother used to hold her hand whenever Jenny was afraid or worried. Just the feel of her mother's hand in hers gave her strength and courage. There were days when Jenny wished her mom was close enough to hold her hands again, but she lived hundreds of miles away. She especially wanted her mother's support now that she was dieting. Whenever things got particularly tough, she would close her eyes to say a short prayer. As she prayed, she imagined her hand in Jesus' hand, and she felt a wonderful peace and comfort. That image gave Jenny all the strength she needed.

Today's thought: I'm never too heavy for God to pick up!
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #287  
Trying to live below 200

September 29

John 16:33
'These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.'

Leo wanted to remember how tough it was. He'd lost the weight, but he never wanted to get back into the poor shape he'd recently been in. It would be way too easy to fall back into bad habits, thinking that the battle was won once for all time. It was nice to have succeeded. But Leo planned to make sure his success lasted a good, long time. It is nice to overcome obesity, but it is an ongoing battle. We should ally ourselves with the one true conqueror: Jesus Christ. With Christ's help, we can continue to triumph over our weight problems. He grants not only peace, but power to overcome any obstacle.

Today's thought: If we empty our plate, we won't lose our weight!
Old 09-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #288  
Trying to live below 200

September 30

Psalm 27:14
Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

Kerri wished she could lose weight just a little bit faster. She really didn't have anything to complain about. Since she started her diet, she had consistently lost. There were days, though, when she simply got tired of dieting. She doubted whether she was ever going to lose the weight she wanted to lose. All those times, she turned to God for encouragement. Talking to the Lord always made Kerri feel better. She really believed that He knew what she was going through. If God could be patient with her when she complained about her diet, she figured she could be more patient as she attempted to lose weight.

Today's thought: Without patience, I'll never lose weight!
Old 10-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #289  
Trying to live below 200

October 1

2 Corinthians 12:10
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches,in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Having to diet was like having a bad rash. It was almost impossible to ignore, and it never went away. It was a real test of will not to give in when the stomach started growling. More than anything he ate regularly, just not as much as he was used to. He always prided himself on being a strong person. His diet was proving otherwise. He was short-tempered and cranky. As hard as it was, he had to admit he needed help. He prayed for God to strengthen him through his diet. With God's help, he felt he might just make it.

Today's thought: I'm stronger than my stomach gives me credit for being!
Old 10-02-2016, 07:44 AM   #290  
Trying to live below 200

October 2

Ephesians 6:13
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Even the mightiest warrior of old was not foolish enough to enter battle without protection. Strength must be tempered with common sense. When we wage war on fat, we need to be well-equipped for the fray. If we give something up, we need to have something to replace it with. Jesus proposed that we should not live by bread only, but upon the word of God. We can protect ourselves from temptation by faith. God will fight our battle alongside us. With Christ, we become an invincible army. We can carry on in the strength of the Spirit, which will allow us to conquer our weight and fears. With Christ comes true power.

Today's thought: With Jesus' might, my fat I'll fight!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #291  
Trying to live below 200

October 3

Job 17:9
The righteous also shall hold on his way, and he that hath clean hands shall be stronger and stronger.

Mort juggled his folder of papers, his coffee, and his sweet roll. It seemed as though Mort couldn't go anywhere without his hands full of food. Even now, as he rushed toward an important meeting, he fed his face. As he rounded the corner, a great gust of wind took him by surprise, ripping the folder from his hands. The sheets of his report flew off in many directions as he watched helplessly, sweet roll in hand. Looking at the messy roll clutched in his fingers, he silently swore to cut out all the snacks. Not only were they ruining his body, but now they jeopardized his job. It just wasn't worth it.

Today's thought: I don't want my greatest skill to be my ability to eat!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #292  
Trying to live below 200

October 4

Philippians 4:11
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

Sam remembered the POW camp he had spent six years in. Whenever he began to feel sorry for himself as he dieted, he remembered the time in his life when he really had something to be upset about. Dieting was nothing compared to what he had suffered. It humbled him a little. He gained great strength from the memory. God had gotten him through the war, so he knew God could get him through the diet. As long as he had the memory of all he had come through before, he knew he could make it through anything else that came his way.

Today's thought: God brings me through every situation, whether large or small.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #293  
Trying to live below 200

October 5

Psalm 121:1-2
I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

Sonya was just about to dip into the ice cream when her doorbell rang. Guiltily, she threw the container into the freezer and slammed the door. Rushing to the hallway, she opened the door and found her sister standing there. Time after time, her sister showed up when she was most needed. Sonya couldn't believe the number of times her sister had been there to help her resist temptation. Sonya felt God was really watching out for her. Whenever her own strength gave out, God sent someone along who could strengthen her. Relieved, she let her sister in and told her the service she had just performed.

Today's thought: Strength comes from unexpected places when our own gives out!
Old 10-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #294  
Trying to live below 200

October 6

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Kip was amazed at how easily he took the stairs. When his kids had begged him to climb to the top of the Statue of Liberty with them, he had squirmed. He remembered what a labor it had been when he was fat. He knew that he never would have made it before. Instead of a painful trauma, he found the climb a relative breeze. Thank God he had been able to lose the weight. It was the best move he ever made. It had been tough, but Kip had relied heavily on God to help him out. While he had been dieting, he had needed God's strength. Now that he was thin, God let him use his own strength once again.

Today's thought: Food gives us temporary strength. God gives us strength forever!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #295  
Trying to live below 200

October 7

Hebrews 10:39
But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Darren felt bad withdrawing from the group, but he had to. The other three men kept cheating on their diets, and that was no help at all. Each time they gave in to temptation, Darren asked himself why he tried so hard when everyone else quit. Darren needed strength and support, not more temptation. At least on his own he stood a fighting chance. Darren prayed for guidance. Dieting was hard enough without other people making it harder. We need to attach ourselves to those who are serious and committed to losing weight. God will help us have all the strength we need to keep on our diets.

Today's thought: The weight that I've lost, was of minimal cost!
Old 10-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #296  

S/C/G: 201.6/137/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post

October 7

Hebrews 10:39
But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Darren felt bad withdrawing from the group, but he had to. The other three men kept cheating on their diets, and that was no help at all. Each time they gave in to temptation, Darren asked himself why he tried so hard when everyone else quit. Darren needed strength and support, not more temptation. At least on his own he stood a fighting chance. Darren prayed for guidance. Dieting was hard enough without other people making it harder. We need to attach ourselves to those who are serious and committed to losing weight. God will help us have all the strength we need to keep on our diets.

Today's thought: The weight that I've lost, was of minimal cost!
I just happened upon this thread and I love it. Thanks for posting!
Charin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #297  
Trying to live below 200

Sometimes these verses are just what you need to get through your day.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:59 AM   #298  
Trying to live below 200

October 8

James 3:4
Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.

David Gregory spoke to groups all over the country. He believed that faith could help people achieve all their goals. He spoke to grossly overweight people, and it had been his faith that had brought him through. Often, people would skeptically confront him as to how he really lost all his weight. His answer never varied. When asked, he would produce a tiny pewter cross from his pocket. All his success, all his power, all his wealth were nothing, compared to the strength of that small symbol. The power of the cross of Christ is unequalled.

Today's thought: With each little loss of weight, I make a greater gain!
Old 10-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #299  
Trying to live below 200

I didn't understand the commentary/summary at the end. Maybe someone can explain. LOL

October 9

Isaiah 26:4
Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength.

Lettuce! Celery! Low-fat cottage cheese! Yeesh! It never got any more interesting. The same old bland foods got tiresome after awhile. Debbie thought she would go crazy before long. She knew what she was doing was a good thing. She really wanted to lose weight. She wanted to look and feel great. Sometimes she didn't know whether it was going to pay off. She believed that God was happy with her desire to lose weight. She trusted that He would help her. Often, it was only the strength she received from trying to please God that kept her going. She was thankful that God gave her that kind of strength.

Today's thought: The only thing I'll give us is being fat!
Old 10-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #300  
Trying to live below 200

October 10

James 5:13
Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

Bill kept telling June to ask God for help. June couldn't quite bring herself to do it. Prayer was for weaklings. Only people who couldn't handle life prayed. June would rather struggle by on her own than rely on a crutch. False pride is a sad affliction. People who feel that they are strong enough to handle every situation of life only fool themselves. Everyone is weak at some point in her life. The truly strong person is the one who acknowledges her weakness and has the wisdom to turn to God for help.

Today's thought: More time in prayer means less time to eat!