Old 08-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #256  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotional for Dieters

August 29

Ephesians 3:16
That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man.

Herm couldn't figure out why he wasn't losing weight. He knew he wasn't eating as much as he had before he retired. When he was on the road, he ate like a horse. Now that he was home around the house all the time, he ate a lot less. Something definitely wasn't right. Losing weight requires much more than just changing our eating habits. We need to change our whole outlook on things. Sometimes we need to cut back on food while increasing the amount of exercise we get. Other times we need to give up certain foods altogether. We need to evaluate deep inside how we live out our lives, and make adjustments necessary to succeed in losing weight.

Today's thought: Dieting doesn't happen on its own. It takes a conscious effort!
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #257  
Trying to live below 200

August 30

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

Another diet. Carla had tried so many times, and she had never come close to succeeding. She wasn't even sure why she was trying again. She knew it would be good for her to lose weight, but she felt beaten before she even began. What would make this time any different from the rest? What makes one attempt different from others is this: confidence. We really have to believe that we can do it. It should help us immensely to know that God believes in us. He knows us better than we know ourselves, and He has equipped us with everything we need to succeed. All we have to do is learn to believe.

Today's thought: What I lack in confidence, I make up for with faith!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:47 AM   #258  
Trying to live below 200

August 31

2 Thessalonians 3:16
Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all.

Ted felt the material rip the moment he bent over. Funny, that never happened a few years ago. Either his clothes were all shrinking or he was filling out a bit. There was just one thing to do about it: He was going to have to lose a few pounds. He'd done it before; he could do it again. A little willpower, a little patience, and a few prayers for strength. Ted was a man who knew his God and believed He would help out. He had never doubted Him, and God had never let him down. It was nice to feel so confident about something. Dieting was easy when you were positive that God would help you work things out.

Today's thought: I'm going to wear clothes I haven't fit into in years!
Old 09-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #259  
Trying to live below 200

September 1

2 Corinthians 3:5
Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God.

Muriel knew she couldn't do it alone. She wasn't strong enough. Her friend Ann told her that one of her strengths was realizing she was weak. Too many of her friends tackled diets on their own and failed miserably. Well, Muriel wasn't going to make the same mistake. She wanted help from the outset. If we realize our weaknesses and limitations, then we are better able to cope with them. God will help us be honest with ourselves, so we can work to turn our weaknesses into strengths. Pray to God for that insight.

Today's thought: What I want to eat and what I need to eat are two different things!
Old 09-02-2016, 07:48 AM   #260  
Trying to live below 200

September 2

Isaiah 41:10
Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea,I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Ben was afraid to even try a diet. He never had much luck with things that required a lot of willpower on his part. He caved in much too easily. If only someone else would make his decisions for him. He had never been overweight when he lived at home and had his mother around to tell him what to eat and what not to eat. Ben would be the first one to admit that he had no self-control. Unfortunately, we all have to learn to discipline ourselves. God doesn't tell us what to do. He gives us complete freedom, but He will help us have the strength to make right decisions if we ask Him to. Include God, and He will make some wonderful things happen.

Today's thought: True power is the ability to say no!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #261  
Trying to live below 200

September 3

Malachi 3:6
For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

God was such a big help when Gwen began her diet, but He didn't seem to care much anymore. Lately, Gwen's diet had become almost intolerable. She began to wonder if God knew what she was going through. She had prayed daily when she started her diet, and it had gotten so easy that she really didn't need to pray all the time. Then, it started getting harder. Why did God let that happen? Poor Gwen never realized that God hadn't changed, but she had. She included God all the time at first, then she left Him out more and more. God will help us just as much as we allow Him to. Often we are our own, and God's, worst enemy when we take our lives out of God's hands and put them into our own.

Today's thought: God and I are dieting together!
Old 09-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #262  
Trying to live below 200

September 4

Matthew 7:7-8
'Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.'

Barry never really believed that he'd lose weight. That was probably his problem. His heart was never in it. Whenever he got the least bit discouraged, he'd immediately give up. His friends tried to offer support, but Barry always came up with excuses why he should give up his diet. If we want to lose weight, we need to believe in ourselves. Self-doubt is a killer. If we lack faith in ourselves, then perhaps we can overcome it by the faith we have in God. God can fill us with a self-assurance that allows us to do almost anything we set our minds to. Push aside doubt. Be filled with the confidence of God.

Today's thought: With God's help, I'll knock off a few pounds!
Old 09-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #263  
Trying to live below 200

September 5

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Lois woke up from the strangest dream. She had died and gone to heaven, but when she got there, she couldn't get in. There was an extremely narrow hallway that everyone had to pass through before they could enter heaven. Try as she might, Lois couldn't get through the passageway because she was so large. Before, she had doubted that she could lose weight. Now, she found a new motivation. She believed God had broken through her excuses to tell her how important it was for her to lose. Never once did she believe that God would keep her out of heaven because of her weight, but she realized that her weight already kept her from enjoying life the way God intended it to be.

Today's thought: Life is great when you carry less weight!
Old 09-06-2016, 07:30 AM   #264  
Trying to live below 200

September 6

Job 22:27
Thou shalt make thy prayer unto him, and he shall hear thee, and thou shalt pay thy vows.

Gary took time every morning to pray about his diet. Some days he awoke frustrated that he wasn't losing weight. Other days he awoke with cravings, afraid he wouldn't be able to withstand temptation. Still other mornings he just wanted to thank God that he'd come so far. God helped make the diet bearable. Every time Gary found himself feeling ready to give up, a quick prayer to God gave him the willpower to go on. The power of God is a wonderful thing. We cannot comprehend how much God does for us when we call upon His name. Rest assured that God is with you in all you do. . .even your diet.

Today's thought: The more time you pray, the less you can weigh!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:35 AM   #265  
Trying to live below 200

September 7

Psalm 34:17
The righteous cry, and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.

Pat lay crying in bed. It was so hard. It seemed that for every three pounds she lost, she immediately gained two back. She really wanted to lose weight, but she felt so weak in the face of temptation. Wasn't there anything that could help her? Pat fell asleep that night with a prayer on her lips. Strangely, she felt a wonderful peace the next morning. The battle was truly tough, but she was once more ready to face it. God didn't take away the struggle, but He was able to give Pat just what she needed to carry on. That is the wonder of our God.

Today's thought: I'll keep fighting fat until I'm fit!
Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #266  
Trying to live below 200

September 8

Luke 12:29
'And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.'

Clyde was so infuriating! Every time his wife suggested that he go on a diet, he came up with some excuse. Most of the time he just said that diets weren't healthy. He was afraid he would do more harm than good. Clyde knew it was just a dodge. He didn't want to lose weight, and he saw no reason why anyone should want to push him. That all changed when he landed in the hospital with a heart attack brought on because his body simply couldn't carry the weight Clyde contained. Clyde no longer questioned what was right. Instead of doubting the intelligence of dieting, he wondered why he ever been so stupid as to resist it. Sometimes God needs to let us know through crisis what we will not hear normally.

Today's thought: If it's a choice between dieting or dying, I think I'll diet!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #267  
Trying to live below 200

September 9

Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus

Jessica was doubtful at first. She really didn't believe Mindy when she said the church would be a big help during her diet. Mindy had taken her to see the pastor, and they had told him that they were dieting. She felt silly at first, but the pastor asked regularly how they were doing, and Jessica liked that. It made her feel that what she was doing was important and a good thing. Other members of the church mentioned how good the dieters were looking. Before long, Jessica found that she enjoyed the dieting because she enjoyed the reactions of the church people and didn't want to let them down. Mindy was right: The church helped a lot.

Today's thought: Sharing the load of dieting makes the burden light!
Old 09-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #268  
Trying to live below 200

September 10

2 Timothy 1:7
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Brenda decided it was time to lose weight, and she did. Peggy struggled a little bit more, but she lost the pounds she wanted to, also. Tracy wondered why everyone else seemed to do so well, while she did so poorly. Maybe something was wrong with her! Maybe she couldn't lose weight. The more she thought about it, the more frightened she became. Often our mind turns out to be our worst enemy when we try to diet. We can alarm ourselves needlessly. Everyone diets differently, and everyone receives different results. There is no place for fear and doubting in dieting. What we need is perseverance and faith that God will help us.

Today's thought: I have a very skinny spirit!

Last edited by Diana3271; 09-10-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #269  
Trying to live below 200

September 11

Romans 4:21
And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.

Jesus Christ turned water to wine, He walked on the water, and calmed the sea. He cured many diseases and cast out demons. He conquered death for His friend Lazarus and for Himself. He promises that He will be with us and that His power is ours as we try to be the people God created us to be. How, then, can we doubt that He will help us when we need to lose weight? Are not the pounds of our flesh within His scope of power? Cannot the chosen Son of God do such a small miracle in our lives as to give us the determination we need to conquer fat? This He can and will do, and much more, if we will but believe.

Today's thought: 'More' brought about my distress; help me, Lord, to live by 'less'!
Old 09-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #270  
Trying to live below 200

September 12

Colossians 3:2
Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

The smells from the cafeteria were more than Blanche could take. Not that the cafeteria food was anything to write home about, but when she was on a diet, almost anything smelled good! She grabbed her jacket and headed out the door. Immediately, the fresh fall air erased the cafeteria smells. The sky was a deep blue, and the white clouds lazily drifted by. The sun was out, the birds were singing, and everything was right with the world. Blanche spent her lunch hour just strolling through God's splendor. Before she knew it, her hunger had passed, and she was ready to tackle the afternoon. The glory of God had lifted her above her earthly passions, and she was grateful.

Today's thought: There's much more to life than lunch!