Old 07-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #211  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotional for Dieters

July 17

2 Timothy 2:5
And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

Susan lay looking up at the ceiling in her hospital room. She couldn't believe everything had turned out as it did. Jill had promised the pills were safe and that she would lose weight fast. All the pills had done were to make her violently ill and land her in the hospital. Shortcuts are not the answer. God has given us willpower and a miraculous body that repairs itself if we give it the chance. Dieting doesn't require chemicals or radical exercising. Dieting requires mastery over our base desires and our selfish natures. Rely on God. We need nothing else.

Today's thought: God can do more to help me than anything else I could find!
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #212  
Trying to live below 200

July 18

1 Corinthians 9:12
If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

Betty got so annoyed with Sarah. Sarah had lost so much weight, but whenever anyone asked her how she did it, she told them she couldn't have done it without God's help. That got old really fast. Why didn't she just take credit and let it go at that? Everything had to be a big spiritual production for Sarah! It's hard for some people to actually realize the power that Chris-tians find in Jesus Christ. They can't understand our gratitude and thankfulness. We are partakers in a great and wonderful power, and it is right for us to acknowledge the source of that power. Christ saves lives, and He liberates us from things like obesity that threaten to make life less than it was meant to be.

Today's thought: I will give thanks to God for His help in my diet!
Old 07-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #213  
Trying to live below 200

July 19

2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.

Bonnie took a good look in the mirror. Amazing. She never thought she'd look this good again in her life. All the pain and torture and sacrifice was well worth it. She still couldn't believe it. She had dreamed of the day she would feel really good about her dieting, and that day had arrived. What a great feeling! If we will persevere, the day of triumph will indeed come. Like Paul, we need to fight the good fight, keep the faith, and complete the course. God promises to reward those who remain steadfast. Hold on to your dream and God will bless you richly.

Today's thought: I am closer to my goal with each passing day!
Old 07-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #214  
Trying to live below 200

I love this one! Enjoy!

July 20

Philippians 3:14
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Stan lived to please people. He served his church, his job, and his family with total devotion. He was continually asking what he could do for others. There was nothing Stan would not do in order to please someone else. Stan had never worried about his weight until one Sunday when the pastor read that his body was the Lord's temple. From that day forward, Stan worked to make it a fit and healthy temple. Not only was God pleased at Stan's desire to improve himself, but He was also pleased by the example Stan set for others.

Today's thought: I can actually glorify God just by losing weight!
Old 07-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #215  
Trying to live below 200

July 21

Colossians 4:2
Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving.

Jane couldn't belive how much harder it was to diet now that Dottie had moved away. The strength and support of having someone to diet with had been immense. Just having someone to talk to had helped a lot. Now there was no one close by to say, 'No!' The only thing that was saving Jane was her reliance on God. When-ever she found herself tempted and wishing for Dottie's support, she closed her eyes and talked to God. His presence assured Jane, and she was able to withstand temptation. It was good to have God as close as a prayer. For that she was eternally grateful.

Today's thought: Help in time of temptation is just one prayer away!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #216  
Trying to live below 200

July 22

1 Corinthians 9:4
Have we not power to eat and to drink?

Kevin blamed the diets. Kevin blamed his friends. Kevin blamed a bad childhood, glands, communists, and a government plot. Kevin blamed everyone but Kevin. Kevin tried and Kevin failed, but he never learned to take responsibility for his obesity. We can never hope to get anywhere unless we are willing to take ownership of our own problems. God has given us freedom of choice. We have the ability to abuse that privilege if we so desire. It is our choice, however, and we control our own destiny. Dieting is nothing more than learning to tame a freedom that has degenerated into gluttony. God will help us tame that beast.

Today's thought: I'm in control of my life; my stomach isn't.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #217  
Trying to live below 200

July 23

2 Thessalonians 1:4
. . .we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure.

Ed was on a severely restricted diet by order of his doctor. There were more foods he couldn't have than there were that he could. Almost everyone felt sorry for him, because they knew how much Ed loved his food. The only person who didn't seem to feel sorry for Ed was Ed. He accepted his fate with a smile and a shrug. His ability to adjust was a testimony to his faith and character. Many people found comfort in Ed's ability to take his diet in stride. His perseverance showed many people that it could be done. Through something so simple, God managed to touch the lives of many.

Today's thought: My diet is only as big a deal as I make it!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #218  
Trying to live below 200

I love this one and have seen it so many times. The Lord will put people in your life at the exact time that you need them.

July 24

Psalm 32:8
I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

Terry had been a savior. It was so nice to find someone who had gone through a long, hard diet before. God had really brought them together. At the time Lisa needed someone most, Terry had miraculously showed up. Lisa wondered whether Terry wasn't an angel in disguise. She had been such a great help. God often answers our prayers through the people He sends into our lives at key times. It is good to seek out the support of others who can relate to what we're going through. Pray that God will lead you to such people, so they might accompany you through the tough times.

Today's thought: Help me remember that I'm not alone!

Last edited by Diana3271; 07-24-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #219  
Trying to live below 200

July 25

Galatians 5:16
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Dan made a resolution to use his breakfast and lunch times for prayer and reflection. He would eat something light, then spend the rest of the time in quiet time with God. It got him through some really tough periods of hunger and temptation. Refreshed by the time with God, Dan then no longer felt the desire to stuff himself. God strengthened him, gave him courage, and filled him with resistance enough to persevere. God will fill the emptiness we feel in our bellies. He will fill us with His own Holy Spirit and lead us away from temptation. Rely on God. His strength is offered to all who will but receive it.

Today's thought: I would rather be Spirit-filled instead of calorie-filled!
Old 07-26-2016, 08:00 AM   #220  
Trying to live below 200

July 26

Philippians 1:23-24
For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

Paul questioned why God had put him on Earth in the first place. Being fat seemed like unnecessary torture. The diets were killers, and they didn't seem to do any good, anyway. What was the use of trying and failing over and over again? Better to never have been born. Despair and frustration are a part of dieting. Often it seems so hopeless. Still, God has given us life as a gift. We prepare ourselves in this life for eternal life in God's presence. Now is the time we need to learn self-discipline and control. Now is the time to strive to be everything we are meant to be. Our life in the flesh is necessary, and it is up to us to make sure we take proper care of ourselves.

Today's thought: I'll try my hardest to lose weight today, because I may not get another chance!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:51 AM   #221  

Thank you for your posts.
NannaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #222  
Trying to live below 200

Today's is a good one.

July 27

Romans 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Why do so many people believe that God has absolute power over life and death but doubt whether He can do anything to help them transform a small part of their own lives? Why should a few pounds of flesh be a more insurmountable obstacle than a mountain or a stone that sealed a tomb? True faith reminds us that our Lord is the Lord of the impossible. He enables us to rise above our limitations through the power of the Holy Spirit. Our God must be the Lord of the diet, too. The Lord who resurrected Jesus Christ on Easter morning will faithfully resurrect us from a tomb of obesity and flesh. Trust in God's power, for by it we are saved.

Today's thought: I need Jesus to save me from me!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #223  
Trying to live below 200

July 28

2 Timothy 2:6
The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.

Wendy thought she was dieting for her husband and family. She kept telling herself she was doing it for them, anyway. As the pounds melted away, however, Wendy realized something very important. No matter who she said she was doing it for, she came out the big winner. She looked better, she felt better, and she loved every minute of it. She knew she was doing something really right. She put forth a lot of sweat and tears, and she was reaping the big benefits. Not only was she dieting for her family, but she was doing it for herself, and that was a good thing. She was worth it.

Today's thought: My diet is a really great decision on my part!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:03 AM   #224  
Trying to live below 200

Ephesians 4:1
I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called.

Rodney let himself go completely. His friends were uncomfortable when he was around. He ate constantly, and he seemed to grow larger by the day. No one knew how to talk to him about it, so they let it slide. Finally, Barb took him aside and asked him why he was destroying himself. She told him that people were losing their respect for him and couldn't understand it. In anger, Rodney told Barb it was none of her business and stormed off. As Christians, it is other people's business when we follow paths that are not worthy of Jesus Christ. He has called us to be living examples of Himself. To be less than that is a sin. Let us try to live life in a body fit for Christ.

Today's thought: Do people see Christ when they look at me?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #225  
Trying to live below 200

July 30

Colossians 3:23
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.

Alice was right: Doug had been doing his diet halfway. His heart hadn't really been in it, and Alice asked him why he was even doing it at all. Now, he felt he was ready. Alice had offered the challenge, and he aimed to take her up on it. No more halfway measures: he was going to throw all his energy and commitment into losing some weight. God wants us to mean what we say. Our yes must mean yes, and our no must mean no. Whatever we choose to do, we ought to do it fully, for God wants children with commitment and resolve, not indecision and insincerity.

Today's thought: My diet is an all-or-nothing proposition!