Old 06-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #1  

Question Disease or Sin?

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure this out. I am a Christian and have struggled with my weight for my entire adult life. I am conflicted right now about whether I should go back to Overeaters Anonymous, OA, or to The Lords Table, TLT, or some other Christian program. My OA mind tells me that I have a disease and only God and OA can help me. But my TLT mind tells me that my overeating is a sin and only turning toward Christ will help me...I don't need anything else.

What do you think?
belfordmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am a Christian, too and have never felt that choosing the wrong foods was a sin.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Both are good programs. TLT has a very strict food program. one that I could not stay with.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #4  

Default sin or disease

ceejay52 - the food plan part is optional...I'm asking about the idea of sin or disease what do you think?

bargoo - not choosing the wrong foods but what about overeating..do you think that is a sin or a disease?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 304.6/285.2/165

Height: 5'6"

I hope that I don't offend you or anyone else, but I don't believe overeating is a disease or a sin. It is a problem when you feel bad about yourself and of course, if you have health problems due to overeating, but I don't think your soul is in jeopardy and I think it's wrong for anyone to make you feel that way. I think that if you really want to lose weight, you'll do it. I've also been struggling with my weight since I was 16 years old. I've tried so many different diets and programs but nothing ever worked for me. It took me all this time to realize that if your heart isn't in it, it just won't work. It's all about YOU. Are you, in your heart, ready to do it?
inadreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #6  

inadreem - You don't offend me. I appreciate your thoughts. If what you say is true, I just don't know what keeps me from being "ready". I do the "start in the morning and fall by lunch" thing almost every day and I am miserable.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't think overeating is a sin. An addiction,maybe, but not a sin, fortunately it is not up to me to judge. If you believe , in your heart, that it is a sin, there is forgiveness, and you do not have to continue in that sin.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 304.6/285.2/165

Well, I'm really in no position to preach since I've only been eating right for five days now, but I just feel different this time. I don't know how to explain it. I think I'm finally just doing this for me this time and not to please anyone else. I keep picturing myself smaller and every time I feel like I can't do it, I conjure up that image. I want to be able to walk up the steps at the subway without having to stop in the middle and catch my breath during rush hour. It's so embarrassing! People think I don't see them staring, but I do, and it hurts. I don't want to go through it anymore. I'm done. I made a list of the things I can't do because of my weight and of all the things I'll be able to do as a smaller me. I keep that and a sheet of inspirational quotes in a binder with my daily weight loss journal. I'm gonna do it this time! If you need to talk, I'm here!
inadreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Sin has been described by many scholars as a disease, a cancer. Calling it a disease, doesn't absolve you of responsibility for the choices you've made in your life. Half of the 12 steps (4 - 10) are related to the sin or defects of character, turning to God, and making amends for them.

A core tenet of many Christian teachings is that we are powerless over sin, without God's intervention in our lives. This sounds alot like a disease to me, and a lot like the OA first step of admitting we are powerless.

There are also Christian Weight loss programs who do not label overeating or overweight as inherently sinful (yes, gluttony is a sin, but you can definitely fall short of gluttony and still eat compulsively or be overweight). You can ask God for help changing things in your life besides removing sin. Is the label that important to you?

I think whichever program is most comfortable for you, will be the one that you will be most likely to stick with, and have success with. The advantage of the Christian programs for you would be that everyone will be a fellow Christian, and possibly even of the same denomination, so your core beliefs will be the same, and you'll probably share a common doctrine. In OA, the concept of Higher Power is usually, for most members, the Judeo-Christian God the Father (and/or God the Son). However, since the identity of the Higher Power is left open, you might find both Christian and non-Christian
members.

I am a Christian. I believe that I am fat and overeat because of sinful behavior on my part, but also because of factors not relating to sin at all. I ask God for help with both. For me, God putting a doctor in my life who suggested lower carb dieting, was an answer to my prayers. I have always had terrible uncontrollable ever-present hunger. When I eliminated all carbs but fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, my hunger disappeared. During TOM, I have trouble following the plan that I know controls my hunger and allows me to lose weight. Sounds like both sin and disease to me. Is it more sinful to eat a piece of white bread than a piece of whole wheat bread? If both are available to me, and I choose the white bread, knowing that I will be hungrier and more apt to overeat, it probably is. And yet, I don't have any control over the fact that some foods do make it much more difficult to make healthy food choices.

I hope this helps, because it isn't really an answer, but hopefully in some way helps you find it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #10  

I have never found that blaming myself about my eating helps me change the behavior. I am willing to take responsibility and know that this struggle is not as black and white as it others would lead us to believe. There is a major bio-chemical component that needs to be take into account.
I find that telling myself it is a sin and hating myself for not being about to stop only does violence to my soul and accomplishes nothing. It is important to recall that we are precious in God's sight even if we are overweight. It is not ok to shame and hate ourselves because it gets us tied up in negative unproductive emotions. The more we do emotional violence to ourselves, the more self involved we become and the less we can be of service to our fellow man. It is a weird form of narcissism that society puts pressure on us to get involved with. What takes me away from service to others is the sin not my fat.
Anyway, that's my two cents for what it is worth. May I suggest you go over to Beliefnet.com and click on their weight loss section. They have a Christian oriented weight loss program that you might like. They also have forums to discuss the issue from a spiritual perspective. The site is not exclusive to Christians but there are Christian sections you might enjoy and find like minded people to share the path with you.
3perfectcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #11  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning Belfordmom!
Maybe you are already "ready" to start. You already have- by trying to figure out the causes of your overeating. There are lots of people out there who aren't even at the point you're at - thinking about it and being aware of your plan for the day.
I think maybe (for me) it's neither a sin nor disease. I think you can change your behavior, be thankful and grateful for the day and keep going from there.
I wonder if you put overeating into the categories of sin or disease if you therefore put your self as a victim (of disease) or as putting your "soul in jeopardy".
Either way, you still decide what you put in your mouth and know how it will affect your body. I always look at faith and spirituality -with regards to my body that I just want it to be healthy to enjoy the days we're given and to do the best I can.
I hope you find the answers you are looking for,
Have a great day1
Tam
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I think sometimes it's human nature to want and think we need a label, diagnosis, description, or explanation before we think we can take action - when all that is really necessary is to roll up our sleeves and get to work.

I have an autoimmune disease that does not yet have a name. It's attacking my sinuses and lungs, which has given me asthma, chronic sinus problems, and recurrent bronchitis. Unless or until it does more damage, I won't have a specific diagnosis (For autoimmune diseases without a specific test, they get their names based on the location and extent of the organ damage done). I've been told many times that if I'm fortunate, it will never do enough damage to get a name. As crazy as it sounds, part of me really "wants" that name. It's just the weird way a human mind works. It's been an effort to stop worrying about the diagnosis, and just concentrate on getting healthier and boosting my immunity.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Personally I really don't think God cares how you want to label being overweight due to our bad habits, sin or disease. I think what He wants us to focus on is GETTING HEALTHY as He intended for us to be.

Spending "2 steps back" in trying to decide between sin or disease keeps one from taking that "first step" forward.

I say to "focus" on whatever program that works for you. If that doesn't work, assuming you are doing YOUR part, then try another. God will BE THERE for you no matter which program you choose.

Prayers for your health!

In Christ, Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #14  

I am doing TLT right now. I know that even though we are Christians will still try to find satisfaction in worldly things such as food. The only way to find true satisfaction is through Jesus Christ. I have never done OA but I do know without Jesus I am nothing. I believe overeating is a sin that can turn into diseases such as diabetes etc. if it is not taken care of. Pray about your decision and God will guide you to where he wants you. God bless you!

Amy
280/250
amyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:03 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 166/166/130

Height: 5ft1inch

Thank you for your thought provoking question. I can relate to a lot of what you share. I too have struggled with weight all my adult life, and have just re-joined OA. I'm a Christian and feel I've made a good choice for myself here, because I'm also privileged to be a long time sober member of AA, so I have lots of 'feel-good-trust' around the concept of 12 step recovery. AA has actually given me a deep connection with God, and I am really grateful.

I believe I am only open to change when the time is right. You ask about disease versus sin - I've often agonized about that, but have driven myself nuts in the process! Here's what I believe today - too much emphasis on 'sin' brings me to a place of guilt and blame. And if I stay in guilt and blame, I'll just be condemned to keep eating because I'll hate myself so much.

As has been shared here, the 12 steps allow me to squarely face the baggage of my past, make humble amends to those I have hurt or caused worry, and move on to become a good and useful member of society. So, I'm just hoping and trusting that the gentle non-judgemental qualities of OA will encourage a deep healing in my soul so I can be who God wants me to be, and desist from poisoning myself with bad food.

Wishing you all the very best in your choices.
Searsha.
searsha is offline   Reply With Quote