Old 05-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #1  
too much of a good thing!

S/C/G: 209/ACK/less than200 initially

Height: 5' 5"

Default Any Muslimahs here?

salaams!

I saw an old thread here but it was from last Ramadan... any sisters still around?

I'm a - er - rounded Muslimah. can't wear jilbab b/c people come up and ask when the baby is due and it makes me feel really unsisterly A long dress/skirt with long loose jacket is more covering.

I'd like to hear other tips for "slimming" yet "covering" attire.

I was happy to see other Muslimahs on here. I think we have special challenges b/c Muslims can hardly do anything without FOOD being involved...

Hope to hear from you in sha Allah.
catsnhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

hi im new here n a muslim alhamdolillah n im rounded too but wanna lose weight n look good so lets see what happens
strawberryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #3  

great to see another Muslim here Where are all the others? I know I saw some on older threads.

Have you decided on a plan for diet/eating and or/exercise?

I;m interested in Weight Watchers but then I just saw the Sugar Busters on here and that looks good too, but not very easy. I like chocolate!
Old 05-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #4  

um i dont plan 2 join ww or any such group infact im planning to do a 12 week challenge that is i plan to exercise n diet on my own for the next 12 weeks n then i will decide what to do next

but its a long long way 2 go i hope i dont get fed up with it so u wanna join me for 12 weeks we can plan on what 2 eat n how much exercise to do
anyways best of luck for what ever u do
u were rite when u said that we muslims dont have enuff choices in food i agree 20%
Old 05-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #5  

salaams, strawberryeyes (nice name, btw)

sorry i didn;t get back sooner... life got in the way! was thinking of checking out local ww last week but then other stuff came up... this week at the same time i have a doctor's appt.

still dithering about the ww actually. not sure if it's for me, but then again I probably need someone to kick my behind.

for now I am trying to limit intake - one egg instead of two for breakfast. A sandwich with one piece of bread folded in half rather than two slices. and not munching between designated meals/snacks... and keep busy!!

did you draw up a plan yet?

and where did all the other Muslim posters go?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #6  

salaams hope u fine i wanted to do south beach coz i have done atkin before n it worked well for me but then i decided to modify it for me n now im on high protein low fat and low carb diet with no sugar and lots of water n its working actually my father in law is coming to visit next month so i want to lose 20-25 pounds before that but im also nursing my baby so lets see how successful ill be and do u belong to some other country or r u a canadian muslim?
Old 06-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 147/129/120

Height: 5, 0

salaams,
i just joined...howz da weight loss goin?
propanalol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #8  

wa salams evreything is going well beta blocker glad to see another muslim here i saw ur other post abt studying n i think u r in the same boat as me i.e preparing for one step at a time anyways study n diet can go side by side if u plan everything hope to hear more from u
Old 06-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #9  

Default salaams

hey, another Muslimah, cool!

You guys must be younger than me, sounds like you are still in school/uni? It's a long time since I had to worry about exams, but 2 of my kids are in high school now.

I'm still dithering about a specific plan. Still trying to choose healthier options though. I wish the community would at least offer the option of brown bread at picnics and barbecues. Fortunately for me they only offer hotdogs and hamburgers and i don't like either of those. so it's easy to say no. If they bring in biriyani i am in trouble though!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #10  

assalam u alaikum
did u mention biryani ?well yesterday i made some for my hubby n ate 2 full plates n blew away my dieting
so what else u like in asian dishes ?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #11  

biryani....um...makes my mouth water....haven't had biryani in a LOOOOOOOONG time, i'm just so longin for some subcontinental food!!! i try all these frozen indian meals or snacks so to say at the local indian store and just don't get satisfied...do u know how many different brands of frozen aloo parathas i've bought? none taste like the kind back in asia....i even crave my mother-in-law's biryani!! i haven't cooked for a long time now coz me n' my husband are studyin for this exam so both of us are right now just makin it by eatin out & fast food.

so ru in college strawberry eyes? what ru studyin? i got this big stupid liscening (however u spell that) exam end of aug...and well i realized now i can't diet & study, too much trouble. i don't want to hurt my score coz in the end that's what matters.

i'm gona start my diet & exercisin after the exam, i figure i'll be able to lose 20 lbs by dec if i work hard enough. my sis's weddin is then inshallah!
Old 06-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #12  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Asalamu Alaikum,
Wow... I can't believe I just RANDOMLY came across this thread. I checked it two or three times and subhan'Allah it still read "any Muslimah's here?" lol... so I'm happy.
I hope you are all well insha'Allah and take care and I hope Allah subhanu helps you with your struggle. I'll leave you with two hadiths - I hop you enjoy them Insha'Allah;
"It is narrated that Muhammed (SWS) said, 'Slay not your hearts with much food and drink, for the heart is like a farmland which dies if watered excessively"
"It is also related that Muhammed (SWS) said, 'A descendant of Adam can fill no container worse than his own belly. A few small mouthfuls should suffice to keep his back straight; if he cannot keep to this, then let hi fill one third with his food, one third with his drink, and keep the other for his breath" (you can find them in Bukhari)

Well I wish I could stick to those two hadiths I'm quite weak as you can tell. Anyways, I wish you all the best once again.

Mah Salama
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:53 AM   #13  

Assalaamu aleikum ladies
niceto see you, seranab! I saw you on other threads but I didn;t know you're Muslim... Those ahadith you posted are something we should take note of, but unfortunately if there's one thing Muslims love to do it's EAT... you can;t get together with Muslims unless there is food involved. which makes thinsg harder for us rounded sisters.
Yes, I love biriyani too, and samosas and all that "good" stuff. At least we can get the pita bread and roti in brown-flour versions these days, but not those frozen parathas. yet? Indo-Pak food is my favourite but I have to watch it because not everything agrees with my system. I tried nihari one day from a local take out but all the oil made me ill. Or maybe it was ghee. I don;t do ghee. If I make Indo-Pak or Arabic food at home I do the "LITE" version, no ghee and a lot less oil than is traditionally used. I think my MIL finds me a little odd...
Old 06-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #14  

walikum salaam, it's so nice to see u guyz here...

well, u're right catnhorses, one thing that muslims share around the world is their love of food!! and u know i'm actually gettin worried bout ramadan, that's the worst...i love the holy month, in fact it' my favorite time of year but for us muslims the more food the merrier esp at iftar parties n' all...in fact last year right before ramadan i had lost 13lbs but gained alot of it back durin ramadan....

inshallah talk to ya guys soon
Old 06-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #15  

assalam u alaikum wow soooooooo glad to see u all posting and sharing ummmmmmmm food makes my mouth water my hubby loves to eat rice and whenever i make biryani for him i completely go off the wagon
well propanol i also plan to take lcense exam but im still preparing for it its been 2 yrs since my grad but it is really difficult to study with a baby i didnt do my house job i mean my parents got me married as soon as i finished college n then i came 2 states so this is my story BTW which books are u studying? kap? or some thing else ?
dont buy parathas just buy regular nan from any pakistani restuarant and put em in the fridge then sprinkle a little water on them and warm in oven or microwave and they ll be good as fresh n sprinkling water makes them really soft those parathas are really bland in taste and i get diarrhea whenever i eat em