Old 09-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #31  

Height: 5'6"

salams how are u all i was so busy last month coz my father in law was visiting for one month anyways prop how was ur exam n wat kind of questions were asked n from where did u study coz im also starting my prep n i dont know anybody who could guide me so if u dont mind would u tell me? hope u all have a great week tc
strawberryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:33 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 147/129/120

Height: 5, 0

salaams, starberry....we thought u disappeared! glad ure back....did u lose anything while ure pop-in-law was there? i understand it's a hassle...there's so much formalities when inlaws come around...

right now, i'm down right scared coz my dad's comin inshallah in a week, n' if he sees me in the state i am...he'll kill me...i don't know why, he's just that way....

as for mle....i'd love to help u out...i just gave my exam in aug...pls pray for me, inshallah the score'll come out in 2 weeks or so...

well, for ure prep, best to start w/ kaplan n' first aid...n' honestly that's all u need...except for the fact, after 2-3 months into ure prep u need to start usmleworld qbank. the only subject kaplan is weak in, is patho...for that everyone does goljan audio.

the questions on my exam...well some were downright easy n' others were so hard...topics i've never even heard of. basically, i found all the subjects were equally tested but of course, pathology was the base. all the questions were integrated w/ pathology n' another subject.

have you already started studying? if not, then u need to buckle yourself down...coz it takes a whole lot of patience n' endurance...for 6 months i didn't speak to anybody nor did i visit anyone, or goto any parties...i was always at home, n' the two places i'd visit were the grocery n' the masjid on fridays...that's it...literally

if u have any ques just ask...i'll give u my email addy
propanalol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #33  

well thanks a lot ill be definitely eating ur ears for my prep n for my weight loss ohhhhhhhhhhhhh i gained 5 lbs more coz im always so nervous around my father in law n i can understand how u feel abt ur dad im planiong to visit my parents n 3 months n im also scared my mom wld kill me too with so much extra weight anyways babys crying i gotta go n best of luck for ur score
Old 09-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #34  

salams h r u all well ramazan is just around the corner n i wanted to know what r u ppl going to eat for sahr my hubby eats parathas n i eat well sometimes yogurt or a slice of bread with egg n a cup of tea but i really want to eat something which will keep my energy up during the day coz with my breastfeeding i know things r gona get tough
hey propanol i wa sstudying immunology which was the most dreaded subject for me i always took a chance n left it cozi was unable to understand it at that time but yesterday i went to barnes n noble n bought this book on immu by lippincott n so far it seems easy to understand how many q were on immu?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:34 AM   #35  

assalam u alaikum ramazan mubarak to u all may this ramazan bring lots of happiness n good deeds in ur life n may allah give u the strength n courage to earn lots sawab
Old 09-15-2007, 03:45 AM   #36  

ramadan mubarak all!!! wow, the most blessed month of the year is finally here...u know what i find so funny, though we diet & try to reduce the amount we eat, we find it soooo hard, but when it comes to fasting, we don't find it hard to comply....weird right?

hey strawberry, um...bout immunology...well all i can say, if u have the newest of the kaplan notes, that's all u have to know but i do understand they they're hard to understand esp. if ure out of the game for some time (like me)...i quickly read thru lange's micro & immuno by levinson & when i understood the concepts i went back to kaplan immuno...

u can do the same, understand the concepts in lippincotts's but go back to kaplan bcoz i found that kaplan does have all the info for anyone to get a 99...

btw, the key is repitition...not the number of books u read...so when u're done reading & understanding concepts then start repeating n' memorizing...n' doing questions

again, ramadan mubarak all
Old 09-15-2007, 03:49 AM   #37  

oops sorry, strawberry, i didn't answer u're question...well, see i didn't get that much immuno but it is a tested subject...so yes, u should know it well...

immuno & molec bio get tested alot coz they're advancing technology-wise & info wise...everyday there are more n' more discoveries...so it's not a subject u can skip

in fact....u can't skip any of the subjects coz they're all asked in some way or another w/ patho...
Old 09-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #38  
too much of a good thing!

S/C/G: 209/ACK/less than200 initially

Height: 5' 5"

Ramadan Mubarak sisters! sorry I haven;t been around much, got busy... I lost about 12 lbs with WW so far, alhamdulillah! my doc said not to diet per se in Ramadan but I am trying not to go nuts and eat all the "wrong stuff" either.

strawberry, i asked my personal trainer about what to eat to keep energy up (I'm not going to the gym for now but DS is doing a phys ed course and they have to work out every day!). she suggested protein (e.g. eggs) and oatmeal. For sahoor I have been eating fruit + plain yogurt + granola, some eggs and fried chicken strips (halal pseudo bacon LOL), and it keeps me going pretty well so far alhamdulillah. Been making low fat oatmeal muffins too and they seem to go down well.

I agree, fasting in Ramadan is sooo different. even when I have to make up days it is sooooo hard when it's not Ramadan. I am hoping not to have to take a break this year in sha Allah b/c of the Mirena, I would rather do it all in Ramadan.

And when iftar comes I'm just not that hungry. I am trying to keep it healthy and NOT eat all the traditional sweets and fried stuff and desserts and stuff. My health depends on this and I have explained it to the kids. husband understand b/c he is watching his weight and BP too. At the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) dates and water would be enough, they didn't eat like we do now... yet another Sunnah we should revive, I think!

well, time to go think what to make for iftar now, I;m thinking lentil soup...
catsnhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 164/158.5/113

Height: 4'11"

HI all...
Was a bit curious about the thread. Anyways...Ramadan mubarak to all of you. I can't fast...I have some health complications.

Where we live it is very hard to get Halal meat except from the mosque. So we are not much of a fast food eaters. We only eat the fish or veg versions on the fast food shops. It sounds awkward, but it really helps us not to gain weight. Although I like chocolate very much, so that made me really really fat.

Good luck to you all. And someone mentioned 'roshmalai' and 'biryani'...from india pakistan or some other place?
chubby cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:39 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 245/205/175

Height: 5'11"

Salaams

Hi to you all, I'm so happy to have found this thread!!

I work out w/ a personal trainer 2x a week. Upper body one time, legs/abs the next. I was very concerned about training while fasting because I always eat before training and I'm starving after, plus I drink so much water before, during and after!! Well, Wednesday was upper body and it was harder, but not as bad as I feared. Today, Friday, was legs and that was considerably more difficult. My sessions are 30 minutes and today we stopped after about 25 minutes. Masha-Allah, though the training itself was much more tedious without water especially, I did recover from my thirst after.

I think I made my poor trainer nervous as he generally is rather hard on me. I'm glad I did it, I did survive and I kept my fast. I hope God gives me the strength and prudence to continue. I lost 4 pounds this week, I haven't lost that much in 1 week for a very long time. Usually, I maintain or gain slightly by the end of Ramadan. Insha-Allah this time will be different and I will continue to lose.

For those of you studying, best of luck!!

Sherin

Last edited by hotmama2three; 09-22-2007 at 01:43 AM.
hotmama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:58 AM   #41  

Also Ladies, I've never been much on Suhoor, although I try to wake briefly so that I may drink a couple glasses of water.

I really think Suhoor can negatively impact weight loss, especially, if one has already overindulged at break fast.

Technically, I think it could work to keep up the metabolism, but it just doesn't seem to work that way. Perhaps, it all has to do with the food choices at Suhoor? I don't know...

Sherin
Old 09-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #42  

salams n welcome farah n sherin our little thread sure is expanding well sherin it is definetly a matter of food choices because we dont skip any meals in ramazan our sahri is the breakfast then iftari is like a late lunch n after that we eat dinner so technically we just expand the duration b/t breakfast n lunch, i hope u r understanding my point now think of a regular day when we dont fast n can u imagine urself eating all that food on that day like those pakoras n all that? its good that u drink water at sahri but u must give yogurt a try it ll fill u up or u can also eat an apple
farah we also eat the fish burger whenever we feel like eating fast food but here in newyork there are sooooooooooooo many halal restuarants n fast food mashallah but sometime i really crave for that KFC chicken yum yum we went to umrah last year in ramazan n i was so glad to see KFC there n i dont know about others but i am a proud pakistani and that reminds me that pakistan has qualified for the 20-20 world cup finals so plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz pray for pakistans victory its a big moment in the history of pakistans cricket ok gotta go keep in touch ladies allah hafiz
Old 09-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #43  

Thanks Strawberry, I know some days I really should try to eat something at suhoor, I just feel I need sleep more. But, I like your suggestion =), I think I will buy some of those yogurts you can drink.

Sherin
Old 09-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #44  

salams hope u r all fine hey prop did u get ur score?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #45  

salams eid greetings to u all