Old 04-19-2007, 12:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/173/160

Height: 5' 3"

Red face Hi - Tired of being fat and looking for support

I went to the doctor last week for a check-up and was completely shocked at how fat I had let myself get. I have 3 kids and currently weigh what my delivery weight was for all three. Anyway, I have vowed that I will start trying to lose weight. Since my visit, i have lost 3 pounds, but it seems so frustrating that I don't know how I will follow through.

I know that I can't do this without support, and though my husband has been very understanding about it, he isn't as concerned about it as I am.

I am trying to count calories - kind of trying the weigh watchers thing (without going to the meetings and paying the money). My doctor, when I spoke to her, recommended I try to stay under 1000 calories per day. Isn't that low? I am trying to walk 4-5 times per week, but since I haven't done anything in a long time, I'm not able to walk for very long or walk very fast.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I would really appreciate it.
Ellies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 AM   #2  

Hi Ellies mom! I am here at 3fC for a few month now and I found so much support! I think you did the right thing: to start. It is never easy I do know this. I am a Mom of three, too And I am fed up with my weight - so if you like send me a pm and we can talk a bit in private and maybe we could become buddies during this long way
Milagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:10 AM   #3  
Kimmy

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/130

Height: 5 foot nada

nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:25 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey, Ellies Mom! Welcome. Be sure to check out the general Support area also.

Your doctor's 1000 cals a day is a little low--unless she is supervising you and has given you a diet plan to follow. Most information says that 1200 is as low as you should go otherwise.

I'm a plain ol' calorie counter myself--using FitDay to track my foods and activities.

Three pounds is a good start! You can keep going--just be sure that you're not doing anything extreme. The walking sounds good--and don't worry about the speed at first. You need to get used to it!

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #5  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

My story sounds a lot like yours. Having my two kids seemed to really pack on the pounds. I didn't really care what I was looking like. Then one day I just woke up and said this is the day and I'm going to make a change. Once you start losing it seems that the motivation just follows{at least it did for me anyway}. The 1000 calorie limit does seem a little low. I would see what your Basal Metabolic Rate is then go from there. And like the previous poster said it doesn't matter how fast you are going at first, just that you are going!! Once you get used to the daily exercise you'll be able to handle a faster speed. Good luck and don't give up. It can be done, it's a hard road but your health is worth it. I keep telling myself I want to be healthy for my kids. I want to be that active Mom, the one who will be around long enough to see them get married and have kids of their own. Plus with our overweight society you are setting a great example for your children.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #6  

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have never been very successful at sticking to a weight loss program before, but I think I was missing community support like this. I am headed out of town this weekend, so I know sticking to my plan will be harder. Knowing that maybe I can psychologically and spiritually prepare myself for the battle ahead of time.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:03 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 7"

Hello Ellies Mom, as you can see you aren't alone in this journey. It seems it doesn't matter how much you have to lose the first hurdle is to actually take the step to decide to lose it. We are all here to help and support each other. I have found this a great place for support.

Being as big as I am I was happy to see that there are others out there that are as big as me and some bigger but it is encouraging to see how far some of the other people have come already.

Good luck on this journey.

Jennylee

P.S. If you would like a buddy I am happy to be one. Jennylee
Jennylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #8  

Hey,
I just got back home from a trip to my mother's. I have done okay with my food, but I am so proud of myself for continuing to walk. I am not much of an exerciser, so for me to actually get up and go walk by myself was a huge feat. Knowing that I would have to answer for my weight loss somehow made me stick to it.

Last edited by Ellies mom; 04-29-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 7"

Way to go, you can do it.

Jennylee
Jennylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #10  

I just wanted to post a quick note and say how much I have appreciated the support I have found here at 3fatchicks. Just knowing that I am not alone in this struggle is a blessing.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #11  

Ellie's Mom,

Hi. I'm from AR and I teach too. I'm in the same boat as you....sick of my weight....hate to exercise...(after teaching all day just don't have the energy.) Maybe we can support each other. If you are trying to do WW, I know of a great website besides 3FC! You can PM me if you want to know it.
Lisa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #12  

Lisa 36,

I just attempted to send you a PM, but it said that you didn't accept them. I would like to learn of the WW website. What now?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #13  

I'll just post it and if I get my hand spanked I'm sorry...it's Dottie's Weight Loss Zone (DWLZ) It has lots of info and points listed too. Check it out.

http://dwlz.com/
Lisa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:07 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/244/175

Height: 5ft 6in

Jay El - What is Fit Day? I'm new to all of this and am trying to find all of the help I can.
Salty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 256/205/150

Height: 5' 6"

hello and welcome .
higherfaith is offline   Reply With Quote