Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Does anyone walk or run so early it's dark outside?

Ok, I'm really tired of just running on the weekend, but I get home after dark and there's no time in the morning unless I run before the sun comes up. I'm not thrilled with that idea, but I don't see anyway around it. Does anyone else walk or run in the dark early hours of the morning? Do you trip on rocks or get attacked by scary people? Sorry, I have weird fears of the dark, I guess.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Yup, I run every day in the dark around 5am. I'm in Oregon and our days are very short in the winter, so I have no choice but to run in the dark for more than half the year. I live in a residential neighborhood reasonably near a commercial area; a lot of my run is in the commercial area under streetlights. In the residential area, some of it is quite dark but I've never tripped, stumbled, or been bothered. I think the 'crazies' are finally passed out by 5am. I listen to music through headphones as I run and that is the only thing I adapt depending on the darkness, because it can be unnerving feeling like both my sense of sight and sense of sound are being impaired.

Anyway, I think it depends on where you want to run. I am running on sidewalks that are mostly level and I am very familiar with the terrain. It's also a pretty safe area and the commercial area is quite well lit and cars are out at 5am.

Lindy
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

I also run in the dark. I'm in a semi-rural area, so I worry more about javelina (wild pigs basically) and traffic more than anything. I also have a headlamp and often carry another flashlight. Unlike Lindy, I do not use headphones in the dark since you just never know and with visibility limited, I want all the warning I can get if something is going on.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #4  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I run and walk in the dark as well. I have to admit to being a bit of a chicken and usually have a workout buddy with me. I live in a tiny farm community so its fairly safe. We basically stick to running laps around the subdivision. It's boring, but at least we get a few street lamps, and with limited traffic in the early morning, we run in the middle of the road (with a flashing light attached) and only move when the rare car comes-we have no sidewalks and pretty uneven roadsides. After being in the routine for about a year, the normal early drivers are aware of us and give us plenty of room.

I listen to music on my runs but try to keep my volume a little low so I can hear cars/people etc. Its really quite peaceful most mornings.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:07 PM   #5  

I run in the dark too. There just aren't enough hours of daylight this time of year to do otherwise.

As long as there are other people around, it feels safe.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:17 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I prefer to walk in the dark (but in the evening - I'm not a morning person). I find it relaxing to be alone for that part of my day, I don't have to worry about people watching me (that's paranoid, I know, like they don't have anything better to do!), and I happen to like that it's cooler too (more an issue in the summer). I stay where there are houses and street lights.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:02 AM   #7  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I do sometimes, I went out this morning and did just over 4 miles in the dark for example. Most of the time I try to run with a group if I have to go out in the dark, and then run by myself at weekends or on the treadmill, which works quite well, but if I can't get to a club run because of work I tend to make it up before work in the dark.

I don't listen to music if it's dark, and I'm getting a good collection of reflective and flashing gear to make sure I'm visible. I try to run where it's well lit, not so much so that I can be seen but so that I can see where I'm putting my feet because some of the roads and footpaths round me are in pretty bad condition. When it's light I have a lovely park near me that I love running round, but I'd never go in there in the dark because there are no lights at all. I tried it once (didn't realise it wasn't lit) and ended up being chased by two dogs who were being taken for a walk. That was my speed session for that week
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #8  
Goodbye Fat!

Usually I am a morning gym person, but occasionally I will venture out in the evening when I don't make it in mornings. I always take my dog with me. She is only a 30 pound mutt, but I do feel that she is my protector. My neighbor who is a policeman says it is always good to walk with a dog because the "bad" people are afraid of the dogs protecting their owners.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I tried an early morning walk/jog (I can't run due to knee problems) and didn't like it. I live in a very safe residential area (very low crime rate) but it is considered a "dark sky" community. There are few if any street lights and most homes have very low lights on outside due to HOA CC&R's. Even though I took my dogs with me, I was frightened and decided not to do it again. There is a couple that run every morning with their dog. My DD and I see them every morning as they are nearing the end of their run and we're on the way to school. DD always comments that they (husband and wife) wear matching clothes. It's cute!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Yeah, I used to walk my dog in the morning and at night in the dark and I always knew he would protect me, but he died about a year ago. I haven't been able to get another one because I'm still so sad about it!!

I'm thinking of running in the mornings when school starts again, but I'm off until the 2nd. Yay, no teenagers to deal with for a while!! And I can wait until the sun comes up to run for the next week and a half!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #11  
Goodbye Fat!

LisaMarie,

Sorry to hear about your lose. I lost my dog of 15 years a few years back and it took me away to get over it. I actually became a foster mom to a dog and then fell in love with my pouch and adopted her. Maybe just try volunteering at a shelter, any puppy dog eyes will bring happiness.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I almost always run in the dark (slimlindy, I am in Orgeon too)

I have less fear at 5 am than I would in the evening

If you hate not being able to see where you are going, look at getting a headlamp, they are very light.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote