Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Cool Runners- It's December!

Just starting it off, went a bit over 4 today, a bit sluggish at first but warmed up
Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

Wanted to repost this question here as I'm curious what you ladies do.

Still shaking off this cold. Do you ladies have any advice about running with a cough cause I'm fine WHILE I'm running but have a 15 min coughing fit AFTER. Haven't run since Tuesday.... Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks for starting the thread Ennay...

Sarah, I would give myself a rest if I would have a coughing fit afterwards I would worry that it could irritate your lungs and turn into bronchitis, I'm no doctor or nurse and I'm not even sure if this is possible...

I haven't run in 2 days ...
Old 12-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

On running clubs, from the last thread. They vary. There are a few near me, and I am a member of the most "recreational" of them, as far as I can tell. The one closer to me takes things a lot more seriously (one of their runners ran in the Olympic marathon a couple of years back, as an indications of just how seriously!), and even though they said that I wasn't too slow when I emailed them (mind you, this was back when I was faster), I got the impression that they were into hard training, and I'd be lingering at the back. My running club on the other hand is far more relaxed, there are plenty of girls, particularly in the last group, who just jog once or twice a week with the club for exercise, but don't want to take it any further than that. Three people from that last group took over an hour for the 10k on Sunday. Then the middle group, which is roughly my level, and the fast boys at the front. There's certainly no pressure to race (or even to get faster), even when we do time trials or fartlek they make it clear that if you want to jog round you can, and people will wait.

I ran a marathon with a cough, but that's because I'm stupid and I wasn't going to not run after training for months and flying to Germany... Not recommended though!
Old 12-02-2006, 05:14 AM   #5  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

9.5 miles this morning, at a fairly gentle pace. it was nice to get something a bit longer under my belt, I haven't done anything over about 7 since Guy Fawkes.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:55 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Sarah, I'd run a marathon with a cough (after all that training!), but generally if I'm sick I take it easy. I might take a walk, or do some stretching or something. I just seem to get better faster.

Helen, do you have another marathon on the calendar? Memory fails. Something in the spring? I know you are working on speed right now, but I was thinking this morning you were going to go long again.

Anne
Old 12-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #7  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I have various plans... I have a half (probably two) lined up after Christmas, after that I'd love to do the London Marathon but don't have a place (got my ballot rejection through this morning, there's still a slim chance of a club place though). If I do that I might do Edinburgh in May, but I want to do Amsterdam in October and I'm not sure whether they'd be too close together. I haven't committed to anything yet, but that's the vague plan.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #8  

Good luck on that London club place. I hear only great things about that marathon. May and October sound far enough apart to me, at least physically. Might be hard to maintain motivation for that kind of time, at least for me. I look forward to hearing about your next one--I miss the marathon, and will probably have baby #2 before marathon #2. I'm going to have to content myself with my half in January. The half is a great distance though, so it should be fun.

I have 7 miles on my schedule this morning, but I'm feeling like a slug. I'll go out about 10 when it warms up again. DH is going for the first couple miles w/ DD in her stroller, stopping at a park to play, and then coming back with me. I don't get to run with him much since he is so much faster.

Anne
Old 12-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #9  

Thanks, Helen. I'm headed for the running store this morning to get some Yak Trax. They sponsor a club, so I think I'll check into it. My delimma now is snow running. I procrastinated, but now it's here, and I have a nine mile run scheduled tomorrow! If I can't do the Yak Trax, I'm going to try screw shoes. I'll report back with my results
Old 12-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I love halfs...that is probably my very favorite distance

Day off today...ahhhhhhhh. Trying to decide between a hilly 7 or a gentler 9 for tomorrow. They are probably about equivalent effort
Old 12-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #11  

I did my 7 miles this morning. No walking. It was a great run, and my pace was rock solid constant the whole way at 12 min/mile. I felt OK. Much better than the 10 miler last week.

I was thinking about how my view of long runs has changed since I began. When I started, I thought 5K was long, then the next bump up was anything over 8 miles probably when I was training for my 1st half mary. Then for a long time a long run was 10 or 12+ miles. After the baby, I just wanted to be able to put together one mile again, then 3, and now I'm back to thinking anything over 10K is long. When I started all this, on July 6, 2003, I couldn't run more than 20 seconds at a time! Such an interesting journey. Is it really only 3 years? Wow!

Anne
Old 12-03-2006, 09:29 AM   #12  

Anne, when I ran my first eight miler, I geared up with Gu and an Amphipod and the works. Felt like serious long run. Yesterday I started my scheduled three and decided on a whim to do Sunday's nine miler instead I never got far from my car, which had water and snacks, so I was OK. But it feels great to be able to do that.

And I've now run in the snow! I bought my Yaktrax, but didn't use them because the bike routes near my house were cleared! I've been so worried about whether I was going to keep my base this winter without doing long runs on the treadmill. I feel a lot better about the prospect today.

I checked out the running groups at the running shop. They were really more like coached programs, and didn't really match my needs. There are other running groups in town, though. I think I'll revisit this after Christmas.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

My baby is 2 months old today!!!!

The week in review:
Monday - Snow? 5 minutes treadmill at gym til power blew, 20 minutes recumbent bike
Tues - Ice? 2.8 miles tread, full body weights
Wed - Yoga
Thurs - Intervals 4.5 mile total; full body weights
Friday - 4.2 miles
Saturday - off (unless you count 1.5 miles pushing dd in stroller and carrying ds in bjorn to go see ducks)
Sunday - 9.25 not quite as flat as I remembered miles

Total running - 21.1
Total REM - 23.1
Old 12-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Two months--and look at all that hair!

Ennay, wasn't it a great day to run? I was so happy to see sun! It was a little frosty on the bikepath where I ran today so I was kind of careful (i.e., slow), especially over the soggy, frosty leaves. The temperature was great for me--not too sweaty by the time I completed 3 miles.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #15  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

7 miles in the rain with running club tonight. I took it nice and slowly because there were only 4 of us who fancied the longer route and I promised one of the other girls (the slowest of the four of us, the other two were faster than me) that I'd stick with her while the other two went off ahead.

Tomorrow is a fancy dress run through the Christmas lights - should be about 7 miles again, but in reindeer horns
Closed Thread