Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:55 AM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default Newsletter - What does toning mean?

This is from Jillian Michael's newsletter.

Quote:
What Does "Toning" Really Mean?
Let me just give a little clarification regarding the word "toning." The word has nothing to do with the size of a particular muscle; it refers rather to making a muscle lean by burning intramuscular fat, and conditioning the muscle for better performance.

You can't actually build muscle mass unless you're eating more calories than you're burning, but you can "tone" a muscle to make it leaner. To tone your muscles, you should plan to do weight training four days a week, working each muscle group twice a week, with two days of rest after training a particular muscle group.

For example, try:

Monday: Chest, shoulders, triceps, quads, upper abs, obliques
Tuesday: Back, biceps, hamstrings, glutes, lower abs
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Chest, shoulders, triceps, quads, upper abs, obliques
Friday: Back, biceps, hamstrings, glutes, lower abs
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Cardio

Remember, exercise is the architect, but recovery is the builder. You have to give your body adequate recovery time to heal itself and grow stronger. If you work out too often without resting, you'll just continue to break your muscles down.

You can find great exercises in my book, Winning by Losing. Pick up your copy today!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote