Got a Exercise Ball....I need to glue it to the floor

• Anyone else have trouble keeping their exercise ball in place?
    Anytime I start to do crunches, it starts to roll me over. It's like taking a bull ride and hoping to stay on for 8 seconds.
    Is it me, or is this normal? Any suggestions?
  • Are your feet planted firmly on the floor and your knees bent at a 90 degree angle?

• you are normal!! :)
    the first few times on my ball i felt extremely silly!! What makes you want to glue it to the floor is exactly what makes the exercise so effective. Because it is unstable it causes you to really work your core. Things that help is make sure you have a firm base - sometimes I have to experiment with the placement of my legs - making them farther apart, etc. I also will try going up higher or lower on the ball (sometimes if i'm too far back on the ball i will fall!!). Hope that helps.

Have fun - the wall is one of my favorite exercises!!
  • I LOVE my exercise ball. I use it with Jorge Cruise 8 Minutes in the Morning. The first two days I used it, I got motion sickness! After that, smooth sailing!
  • You have to bond with the ball...be one with the ball...be the ball...

I think the ball is tricky too. I felt like such a goof the first time I used one. This summer, I've been given ample opportunity through physical therapy to make peace with the ball and I'm almost there. In fact, I've even contemplated upon getting a ball to practice with at home so that I can keep the thing under me when I actually do the workouts at the gym! The ball does offer an alternative when some of the machines and/or benches are full. So, I'm working on it too.

Hang in there, it has to get better. Or should I say, just roll with it...
  • Just a funny story about the ball-- I was attending a seminar on assessing needs in the kinetic chain, and we had to sit on balls. I sat down on one, but must have sat a touch too far, and the ball rolled back. I ended up on my back with my legs up on the ball. Boy, I'm sure everyone thought I really really needed that seminar!
  • ...which makes it the more fun and challenging ! That is what I love about the ball, you have to work harder to keep your balance. In time you will adjust so don't worry
  • Does anyone use one as a home office chair?

My ergonomic situation at my home computer is so lousy, I'm considering using my Stability Ball as a posture-saving alternative.
  • Have you seen the balance ball chair?

http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Balance-.../dp/B0007VB4NE
  • Quote: Just a funny story about the ball-- I was attending a seminar on assessing needs in the kinetic chain, and we had to sit on balls. I sat down on one, but must have sat a touch too far, and the ball rolled back. I ended up on my back with my legs up on the ball. Boy, I'm sure everyone thought I really really needed that seminar!
    I feel your pain. Literally. I was using mine as a desk chair when I did this and hurt myself. Now, it is deflated in the closet cause it scares me!