Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #46  

Height: 5'7"

Amber, I usually try to have a run/walk plan for my run and stick to it. Doesn't always work out that way. I'm up to running about 3 miles at a shot without a walk break. Even in longer races I still will walk at least through aid stations to get fluids down.

However, today I ran 3 miles, perfectly nice flat course, but it was sort of hot, about 80F and I didn't have water. Pretty much fell apart at the halfway mark and walked about half of the way back in quarter mile on/off chunks.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

I'm doing Galloway's program which suggests that you do intervals. When I run with the group I do 5 mins jogging, 1 min walking. Last Saturday I missed the group run and did it on my own. Did 4 miles with the 5/1 intervals and my time was EXACTLY the same as it would have been had I jogged the whole way. I could tell I was able to run faster with the breaks in between.
SarahinBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Greetings to the Coolrunners! I am relatively new to this site, and have recently taken up running - I'm about half way through the C25K program and am loving it. Never thought I'd be a runner, but lo and behold.

Anyway, the reason for my post is to share my joy in my latest toy. I've been "guess"-timating my mileage and speed so far, and decided this week to treat myself to the Nike+Ipod system. Today was the first outing, and I was happy to learn that I'm covering more ground than I thought, and am going a bit faster than I thought as well (although I'm still not going to win any speed records).

It is really a pretty nifty setup - you just put the sensor in your shoe and use the menu functions on the ipod to indicate the start and end of your run. When you get home, you plug the ipod into your computer and it automatically downloads the details of the run. You can also set goals and it will track your progress, or you can log miles as part of group challenges - I haven't really done either yet, but the Nike website can show you how this all works. All in all, I give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. Of course, you have to have an ipod nano to use it, but if you do, the additional price of the system is very reasonable, only $30.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #49  

Did a slow 3 miles with my mom last night - Every Thursday we get together to jog, and I'd like to go a little further/faster but just think it's so cool that that's something we can do together. Taking today off as we are doing our "long run" tomorrow - 5 miler

Also signed up for the "Turkety Trot" on Thanksgiving with is a 5 mile race - Should be fun!
Old 11-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #50  

Did 5 this morning - Feel like I'm cheating almost though because I'm running 5 mins and walking one - Not cheating necessarily but can't really say "I ran 5 miles"... thoughts?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #51  

Three miles for me this morning. With the baby jogger and I managed it in 36 minutes! I'm feeling stronger and stronger.

Sarah, there is no cheating. Do what is right for you and your program. There is nothing wrong with throwing some walking into a running session, and especially if you are run/walking a planned pattern, you are getting the training you need from that.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #52  
Ilene the Bean

I ran the threadmill today...5K

Sarah, do what works for you... eventually you will run non-stop
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #53  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
What do you guys wear when running in the rain? The rainy season started with a vengeance here in Oregon, and I'm kind of stymied about what to wear so I can keep running outside. I hate wearing too much because I get really hot and sweaty when I run. But I don't want to get soaking wet from the rain either. Suggestions?
Hi Sheila - I'm from Oregon too.

I ran this morning in a drifit shirt and an unlined waterproof jacket and light loose fitting running pants. About 2 miles in I took off the jacket and tied it around my waist. At that point, once you are warm, the rain starts to feel good (the dousing I got from a truck hitting a puddle hard....not so good). The most important rain item is a baseball hat. If you keep the rain out of your eyes, then getting wet isnt that big a deal. The dri fit stuff you dont even feel like you are getting wet. I'm just a wimp until I warm up.

Just dont wear cotton

Anyway I was coming over here to introduce myself..new to the forums, avid running, currently very overweight post baby.

Ran 7 this morning, which is one of my favorite loops, was very excited to get back to that distance, haven't been able to run it since 1st trimester so it was a real treat!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #54  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Sarah - running 5 walking 1 is the method prescribed by Jeff Galloway for even experienced and fast marathon runners. It counts all the way.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #55  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

4 this morning. Endurance is coming back nicely but boy am I slow, I think I might start speed work this week.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #56  

Thanks ladies - Yeah it's like you said Ilene "someday I'll be able to run non-stop" and that's the thing - I CAN run 5 miles non-stop, but the program 'prescribes' the 5/1 ratio. Oh well, I think atleast in training for my first half that it's probably the way to go. When I run the actually half, I don't have to to do walk breaks and may just walk walk through the water stops or something.

Did 4 this AM and it felt SO good. I just love running.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Sarah
Old 11-20-2006, 04:43 PM   #57  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Just over 10k tonight with my running club, a couple of minutes faster than when I first did that route last month (although we did it in reverse today). I only ran 3 miles this week because I was on holiday and decided the best thing for me would be almost total rest - I've been pushing myself far too hard recently. I've got a 10k race at the weekend, I don't expect a PB, but hopefully a semi-decent run without any walk breaks will give me back some confidence.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My combination walk/jog got me up over 4 mph this morning. Thanks mostly to "I'm a Believer" by Smash Mouth.
I'm pretty happy about that!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Thanks for the advice, ennay. And welcome to a fellow Oregonian. I was able to run outside on Saturday because there was a break in the weather, which was nice. I get tired of the treadmill.

Is drifit a brand or just a type of shirt that keeps you warm when wet? Any suggestions on where to find them?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #60  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
Thanks for the advice, ennay. And welcome to a fellow Oregonian. I was able to run outside on Saturday because there was a break in the weather, which was nice. I get tired of the treadmill.

Is drifit a brand or just a type of shirt that keeps you warm when wet? Any suggestions on where to find them?
Wouldnt you know it, Saturday was my scheduled rest day and Sunday was my long run DOH!

By dri-fit I mean any "technical" running shirt made of highly wicking material. dri-fit is one trademark but if you go to any running store you can find some. Just avoid cotton like the plague Dri-fit wont collect the water and dries quickly. It will also breathe even while wet so you dont get sloggy feeling.

Hey I am doing the turkey trot at the zoo on thursday - last minute decision, I am still killer slow, but I want to see where I am. I'm really happy with being back this far so quick after baby. Last time I think it took me 6 months to even get out the door.

I wont run on a treadmill period. I need the outdoors, so I will go in any weather except hail, lightning or ice. Once you get used to it, running in the rain is pretty pleasant. It sure beats running in heat.