Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-25-2006, 11:43 AM   #1  
Fat-be-gone

Default Planet Fitness????

There is a new Planet Fitness opening soon in my neighborhood. I was wondering if anybody is a member of this gym. I would like to know what types of machines and equipment they have, the atmosphere, etc, etc. They have a offer right now....sign up for $59 and pay only $10 a month, no contract or commitment. That sounds like a really good deal and something I can afford.

Thanks in advance!!!
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:02 PM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

There is one right by me that I have been planning to join as a back-up gym. I have a gym in my office building which I love, but it is too far to drive to on the weekends, and it has limited hours. The Planet Fitness near me is open 24 hours on weekdays and has good weekend hours, and is also quite reasonable. The one thing I know about it is that it is no frills - no classes or anything fancy. The only problem with it is that it is right across the street from a fabulous bakery.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

We checked one out recently, and it would have been perfect for when we were first starting out. Great rates, decent machines. Definitely no frills.

We went with something else because we really wanted more frills (including a pool) and were ready to use them, but for just starting out it looked nice and non-intimidating! As Nelie said, the hours were great too. I'd recommend checking it out!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #4  

I just joined one in CT less than two weeks ago and I've been happy with it. It is crowded at times (I go around 7 p.m.) but I've always gotten the type of machine I wanted. Mine has two floors. The first floor has the tanning, locker rooms, a small cardio area (treadmills, elliptical machines, bicycles, arctrainers) and a larger area with machines and weights. Then upstairs it has a 30 minute express workout like Curves, a ton more cardio machines, a stretching exercise area with those big balls, a mirrored area for the weight lifters and a lot more machines that I don't know what they're for. There's plenty of equipment but like they said, no frills, no pool, no yoga classes, no pilates, no aerobic classes, etc. There are TVs everywhere so you can just bring headphones and tune our machine into the channel you want to listen to.

The price was right for me who was just starting out. Just keep in mind they do also charge you about $15-20 a year to "lock in your rate". This was prorated for me and from Oct-June it cost me $13 and then I'll have to pay another $20 in June to lock it in again. I pay $20 a month but it includes use of their other gyms, unlimited tanning, 1/2 price drinks, a t-shirt and had no enrollment fee. My PF doesn't have the best hours so I like that I can go to another gym if mine is closed. Oh, they also have free group orientation for the different machines, you just have to see when they're offered and sign up for them.

Best of luck!!
MoNewEngland is offline   Reply With Quote