Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #1  

Question Saddle Bags !

I have such flabby saddle bags that I fear if I could actually run fast, they'd flap so much I would take flight.

I really like everyone's opinions on what exercise/diet/dvd's gave them the best results and how often did you work out?

Thanks !
delia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:42 PM   #2  

I started going to the gym three times a week, then worked up to five times. The more often you go (or exercise at home), the better results you get.

I do a combination of lifting and cardio- sometimes doing more cardio than lifting, sometimes doing equal amounts, and sometimes doing more lifting.

The thing I have found is not necessarily what kinds of exercise you do, but the consistency. Even though I miss days and take my vacations, a consistent exercise routine is the most important component.

In terms of diet, it must be something balanced and that you can live with. I count calories, and refuse to give up my favourites like spagetti. I just make sure that the total count is within my limits. Some days I have a treat (something decadent), but then I try to make sure to stay within the limits the rest of the week.

Hope this helps...
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #3  

Thanks. I'm surprised that I only got one response. I must be the only one who has this problem !
Old 10-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

Delia, Counting calories and running has brought the most reward for me. I was doing okay early on just counting calories (and losing), but once I added the running, my bottom parts started firming up first and fast. The added benefit is I feel wonderful and can do this for a lifetime . I will probably always need to "count calories" to a degree including my journaling, but the running and other exercise will keep me accountable and healthy.

Exercise is a MUST for continued weight control and healthy lifestyle, so find something you love, or at least tolerate on bad days.
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #5  

Thanks. I hate to count calories and I hate to run - don't mind exercise - but I don't like running much. I guess I hate the sadlle bags more so I'll give it a shot.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:45 AM   #6  
*confetti*

S/C/G: 270.9/176.1/165

Height: 5'6"

When I first started running I could hear my back fat slapping together. However exercising and diet over time has eliminated that (thank goodness!!). So I can relate to a fat taking flight fear.

My saddle bags are a problem area for me as well. It just takes time for them to go down. Unfortunately there isn't a special diet or exercise routine that will make them disappear faster. My saddlebags reduced with a plain old sensible diet and exercise routine.

But they will go down! My saddlebags used to be so big that it looked like i had stuffed the pockets of my pants with something. Now I don't even notice them unless I am wearing something clingy like leggings.

I just wanted to add that most of the weight I've lost was done walking briskly on a treadmill. I only started running in May as a way to challenge myself. So don't feel like you have to run in order to see results.
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:58 AM   #7  

Those comments really help I can certainly walk briskly. I have lots of exercise tapes too, but I'm too lazy lately. I have a treadmill & an elliptical but I don't really feel like walking briskly on the treadmill is doing anything. I'll try it though. Everyone else in my family loves the elliptical except me. My hips & thighs tend to build up quickly (I used to do squats w/10 lb weights and it took only a week to find out that was a move in wrong direction !). I fear that the elliptical will do the same thing so I stay away from it.

thanks !
Old 10-27-2006, 09:05 AM   #8  

My problem is not on my thighs, but here's what I found. When I started lifting seriously, my thighs did get bigger and thicker. Over time, as the body fat disappeared, they shrank, so that now what's left is muscle and very, very little fat.

My torso, however, that's a different story.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote