Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-19-2006, 01:12 PM   #1  

Default Rules at Curves?

Does anyone know if there are rules at Curves that prohibit a person from, say, going around the circuit five times a session six times a week? No staff person has said anything yet but a friend on another thread wondered if it was really allowed. When I joined they said "Around the circuit twice, three times a week." I asked if I could do more and didn't get an solid answer (I don't think the staff person knew herself.)

So are there rules? I am overweight to be sure but in ok health. I don't want to ask 'em in case they say no.
celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #2  
Teapot Diva-short & stout

When you use the Curves equipment, the faster you go on the machines, the greater the resistance. So they limit you in the number of times around to encourage you to go faster. If you went the appropriate speed 6 times around, it would be harmful for your muscles. Too much strength training can be harmful. It's all about the speed, not the distance. Hope this helps.
BridgetJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #3  
Wife, Mom and Teacher

S/C/G: 223~211~150

Height: 5'3"

At our Curves, we've been told it's fine to go 5-6 days a week, but not more than the 3 times around per visit.
Michele L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #4  

Thanks for the information. I'll just go around 3x from now on.

I am trying to get into shape for bike riding, which is why I'm pushing it a little. I can do Curves at 85% for a good long while but I get exhausted riding my bike very easily. I'm trying to get some ooomph.
celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:06 PM   #5  

So have you been doing the 3x thing? (I see it's been a couple months since you posted this.) How's it working?

I just joined Curves a couple weeks ago. Sometimes I'm just getting a good sweat worked up and it's time to quit. I have to really concentrate to keep moving *fast* to keep my heart rate up.
LisaJ79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:06 PM   #6  

I also just joined Curves a couple weeks ago after going for one week free. I absolutely LOVE Curves! We can go around TWICE on all the equipment, and I have started to work up a good sweat now. I go to Curves 4 times a week, and go for an hour power walk at least 5 days a week. I hope at my first weigh in on Oct. 11 that I see at least some results!
Carol
Carolfromfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Does anyone know if at Curves do you have to have a health physical or permission from your doctor to join?
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #8  
Lori

S/C/G: 251/214/150

Height: 5'5"

I didn't have to have any permission from my doctor
lori1ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 211.5/209/170

Height: 5'10

Default Input on a few posts

Hi, I've been a Curves member for going on 2 years now, of course every franchise is different but the standard is 3x/week, 2-3 rounds depending on how many stations you have. You can work out as much as you want but the purpose of keeping a day in between is to allow your muscles to rest so that, and yes this sounds silly, they can actually form better. The intent is to use the recovery stations as just that, recovery and the machines are to be hit hard so that your intensity increases thus building muscle. What I would suggest if you want to work out 5x/week is to alternate days - 3 days weights and 2 days cardio - on weight days hit it hard, on the alternate day focus on cardio while on the recovery station and keep working the weight machines but not as heavily. Great cardio exercises for the recovery are jumping jacks, knee lifts, knee/tummy scrunches (raise hands and coordinate scrunching as you lift your knee - pretend you're pulling a bar down from above your head and meet it with your knee 1/2 way), squats and kicks - do a squat but as you come up kick out with one leg (I try to do 8 w/one and 8 w/the other).

As for rejoining fees, my Curves doesn't charge a rejoin fee if you've been away less than a year and even then they're so glad to have someone back they usually make up a "blue light special" making a big deal out of someone's return w/no rejoining fee.

Hope this helps! I started at 310 and lost 80pds, thought i was good to go, started slacking and am back at it again...170 or bust!
kkicker64 is offline   Reply With Quote