Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-17-2006, 07:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/160

Height: 5ft.5"

Default exersise

I have been on this site for a few months now and only lost 17lbs and I know I can do better, it's just I have been so depressed latley with things going on at home that I have no control over or can change, it's all I can do just not to gain any weight back since I am a emotional eater. What did you all do to start exersising? I am in a wheel chair a lot of the time but, I do walk a little and have a dvd for chair dancing I just can't seem to get started. Does anyone have any suggestions? My daughter from Georgia is coming home for xmas and I want her to notice my weight loss.
shoots-alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

First, congrats on the 17 pounds! That's nothing to sneeze at!!

When I started, I just tried to consciously move more. Take those extra steps that I tended to avoid. When I started more actively exercising, it was just walking 10-15 at a time. I was fortunate enough to be able to do that.

But there are all kinds of things you could do. Get weights (or even cans to start) and do arm exercises! Leg kicks! Ab crunches!

For me, one thing that has helped is simply committing to exercise (even though I haven't ever liked it). I started off with small goals and built from there. I committed to a number of minutes/month. I sometimes have to really convince myself to exercise, and tell myself it's not about what I want at the moment, but it's something I HAVE to do. Like paying the bills...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 236/207/175

Height: 6ft

I agree with wyellen.. getting started is hard .. and I take it one day at a time. I tell myself .. 10 minutes ... you can do 10 minutes and be done with it .. Then I do it .. wether its walkin or a dvd or whatever. Maybe 10 minutes in the morning and 10 in the evening. Do that for a week .. then add 2-3 minutes the next week. But it is a daily battle .. every single day I have to tell myself just to do it and get it over with cause I can EASILY talk myself out of it as well. I read here for inspiration and encouragement that I am not wasting my time .. that the choices and things I am doing WILL pay off .. maybe not as fast as I want em to .. but it will!
As far as doing this a few months and ONLY losing 17 lbs .. PFFT! GIRL!!! 17 LBS IS FANTASTIC!!!! I am always tellin my SIL who gets discouraged at losing *ONLY* 1-2 lbs a week as she puts it ... go to the store .. look at 1-2 lbs of pure FAT or even just meat..but meat is muscle and denser so its about twice the amount .. and see EXACTLY what you accomplished! ITS ALOT!! Congratulations to You! IMO you are doing FANTASTIC! and well on your way to making some changes ... one other motivation maybe to add a lil more activity to your day is the thought that you might see changes a lil faster .. but do not overdo your exercising and get hurt or burned out ... its slow and steady that win this race!
owira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I totally agree with these gals. I think a lot of folks get overwhelmed by the notion of exercise thinking it's some elaborate scheme, plan ... when all we really need to do is start moving more.
My favourite story is that I used to stack things at the stairs and wait for the kids to come home and carry them up

And as for the depression/control thing? You can be in control of your movements, how much you eat ... take heart in that. The whole world may be flashing by but you can control those simple things.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote