Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #1  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

Default Treadmill pace v. real pace

Just curious what you all think. I feel like I am flying on my treadmill when I am going 6 MPH, but when I run 10 min miles outside (6 MPH) I feel like I am merely trudging along. Does anyone else have a similar feeling? Is this typical of treadmills? Do you think my treadmill is wrong? Thanks!
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Jordan ... I feel the same way too on the dreadmill ... I think it's because the treadmill is propelling you forward and helping you along, whereas outside you have to do all the work yourself plus you have the added bonus of hill, different surfaces etc...

Hope this helps...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Treadmills for me are a bit of a chore - I definitely feel like time is dragging when I am running on one. I'll usually have it up around 7.5-8mph and it still feels like I am plodding!

When I am running that pace outside it just flies by - I think because there is so much scenary and things to look at and keep my mind occupied. It just doesn't feel like I am working as hard when I have multiple distractions :P
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Hi Jordan ... I feel the same way too on the dreadmill ... I think it's because the treadmill is propelling you forward and helping you along, whereas outside you have to do all the work yourself plus you have the added bonus of hill, different surfaces etc...

Hope this helps...
Having said this though, I definitely prefer running outside than on the treadmill...Like Lyna I get distracted by the scenery, I have my music and time flies by... On the dreadmill even if I am looking at a good program I also look at every second go by. When I do enjoy on the treadmill is doing speed work...
Old 10-15-2007, 12:42 AM   #5  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Good to know, thanks! I can't wait until it cools down and I can get outside more. "Dreadmill"...I like that.
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/280/190

Uhh, just wanted to add I know the feeling. I hate treadmills.

I've been trying to work out on those darned machines for at least 6 months now, on and off, and I still get treadmill "drunk." 10 minutes of walking and as soon as I step off that thing, I feel like I'm gonna hit the floor. I gotta stumble over to the next machine.

LOL I hate it.
CherryBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #7  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

I have to cover the time display on a treadmill with a towel to avoid counting down the minutes. Time seems interminable! Outside there's no reference point so it seems much faster. I have no idea of the speed though.
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxjob View Post
I have to cover the time display on a treadmill with a towel to avoid counting down the minutes. Time seems interminable! Outside there's no reference point so it seems much faster. I have no idea of the speed though.
Jax, here's a great site for mapping pace outside http://www.mapmyrun.com/ ... Just click on Map New Run then just put your postal code or the city and province/state you're in, map your run, then there's the Workout Calculator put your stats and time and it will give you a pace and calories burned for the time you ran.......

Hope this helps....

Last edited by Ilene; 10-17-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #9  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I was once told to set the treadmill at a 1% grade to approximate running outside on a flat surface with normal wind resistance. You can go up from there if you want to approximate hills and whatnot. I find it fairly accurate when I do that. Hope it helps!
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote