3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Has anyone ever tried deep end water aerobics? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/95003-has-anyone-ever-tried-deep-end-water-aerobics.html)

LadyLai 09-30-2006 05:03 PM

Has anyone ever tried deep end water aerobics?

My local swimming pool is offering 1 hr. aerobic exercise in the deep end. I was wondering if this was a good workout or not. If anyone has ever tried it, please I'd love some feedback. I'm thinking of trying it on Monday.

Yogini 09-30-2006 05:12 PM

I LOVE it! It's a great workout for larger people, those with injuries, joint pain etc. I like that I get a good cardio and muscular workout due to the water resistance. I also think it's fun! Give it a try and see if it works for you ;)

gea 09-30-2006 09:03 PM

It's a great workout.

Its higher in intensity then regular water aerobic because you keep your legs off the floor the whole time.

sierra_ttw 09-30-2006 09:45 PM

To be honest I find it really boring - sorry! I do it when I've got an injury (I did it for a few weeks when I had an ankle injury, and also whenever I hurt my back - once a year or so). It keeps me active, 'cause it makes me crazy not being able to go to the gym, but I find it kinda mind-numbing and I'm usually pretty happy when I can get back out on the trails or in the gym. That being said, I know a lot of people who love it, so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try and see how you like it.

freiamaya 10-01-2006 12:10 AM

This type of aqua-fit requires you to keep your balance with your core, not your legs/feet as they are off the floor of the pool. It takes a bit of time to get used to, ESPECIALLY getting the knack of not travelling around the pool and bouncing off people like a cue ball, but your core muscles will thank you. I wish my local pool had a deep end so I could do deep water aquafit again (like I used to before I moved here!).

Sheila53 10-01-2006 04:29 PM

I do deep-end water aerobics (called hydrofit at my gym) twice a week, and really enjoy it. I've found that you get out of it what you put into it so if you're willing to work hard and move, then you will get a good cardio workout as well as resistance. We have a great instructor, which helps a lot.

I do recommend doing land aerobics and/or lifting weights to get the kind of workout you need to keep your bones healthy.

LadyLai 10-02-2006 03:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciated them. Well, I got to know first hand this morning how it was. I did enjoy it, I love the water. I can understand why some of you said, it totally depends on how you work it. I was trying to keep up with instructor as best as I could and I found it to be a really good workout. I was huffing and puffing and I'm sure feeling the after affects now. I'm a little sore, but I guess that would mean it worked!