Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/160/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Breathing...why is this so hard to do?

I do have asthma, but not really bad, only when I exercise.
So right before I get on the treadmill, I use my inhaler to prevent any issues later. But still...
I started out breathing in through my nose and out my mouth like I always thought. But my nose started burning, and down my throat. My hubby says that I was supposed to breathe the other way. Breathing in through my mouth and out my nose. So now my my throat burns. Then my lungs feel on fire. And it seems like there is air inside my windpipe confused where to go and bumping into incomming air.
So which way do I do it? Why does it hurt my throat and chest so much? Do I need to force myself to breathe slower? Do I need to force myself to breath faster?
I definately need a lesson on breathing.
thanks for any advice
sharperTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I have asthma, triggers are emotions, allergies, and exercise. I was diagnosed when I was 5. With my allergies, I often can't breathe thru my nose very well. So, I breathe whatever way feels comfortable that day. My allergies and asthma have been REALLY bad this summer, it's been a hot dry one.
From what you are describing, it sounds like you are breathing in too deep for your work-out. With asthma, it's not that you can't breathe in, it's breathing back out that is the problem. For me, I really have to pay close attention to regulating my breaths and make sure that I am not breathing in too deep or not deep enough........makes it impossible for me to run outside. Too many distractions! I haven't used an inhaler in 3 years, I've just gotten that good about regulating my breathing and taking precautions for triggers. (although, this fall has been tough because of the dry summer)
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote