YES! I love Freecycle!

• A little backstory: my husband and I had our bicycles (very nice, and almost new) stolen from our apartment's storage area last year, and we haven't been able to replace them--the fact that we couldn't even afford renter's insurance ought to give you an idea why. *sigh* So I've been greatly lamenting this ever since, particularly with this GLORIOUS fall weather we're having in Illinois.

Well, I finally got the bright idea to sign up with freecycle.org, which, for those of you unfamiliar, is a set of Yahoo groups that allow people in certain areas to donate things they don't want anymore, to people who do. It's basically just a good alternative to throwing things away. And lord-a-mercy, wouldn't you know there was a woman in Chicago getting rid of a bicycle?

It's an older model, but the measurements sound like they'll suit me, and I'm not in a position to be picky anyway; I just want to be able to pedal around the neighborhood when the mood strikes.

I can assure you, though, that this one will be stored inside the apartment! I've learned my lesson.
  • That is so nice that people do that instead of just throwing things in the trash, I usually donate to different organizations myself but, my daughter lives in Tenn. and she loves it! Another person's trash can be someone else's treasure. Good for you.
  • I have been trying for weeks to join it but never get any response. I emailed the main site and they did write back and suggest an email for me to write to; so I did yesterday but again, no response. I don't get it as there is a group specifically for my local city.
  • Each group is run by an individual, or several, within the area...as volunteers. So you're at the mercy of the person operating the group. How often do they check their email or signup requests, have they abandoned the group, perhaps their personal life has interferred. But you can sign up for groups in neighboring areas too.

I couldn't afford a jogging stroller at the time I first started trying to jog with my regular stroller, so I posted for one on Freecycle and found a woman who had one in her garage she hadn't used in 3 years. I had to sign up for a neighboring site and travel a couple hours to pick it up, but it was well worth it.
  • Freecycle is wonderful. I just posted a baby swing offer a few minutes ago. I am on there looking now for a working printer as mind died! I love how many of us locally just give boxes of books away. I got one of my boxes back even! LOL My daughter also got a good condition swingset!

Now if only I could get a good body from there! Or at least will power and more time to work out!

Congrats on the bike. It is not at all feeling like Fall here in TX!
  • I love it too. I joined through the yahoo groups site directly through the automated site, (some yahoo groups allow you to do this, others you have to wait for moderator approval).

Misti, I checked the freecycle seattle and you can join automatically. http://*************.com/group/freecycleseattle/

there is a blue box that you click labeled join this group

You may have to join yahoo groups first and get a yahoo id.

http://*************.com/
  • oops, guess you can't do that here. Just google yahoo groups. Join through the drop down menu and then search their site for freecycle seattle (or where ever)