Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-13-2006, 12:22 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm wondering if there are any equivalents for walking. SO, if you do 30 minutes on the elliptical or something like that, do you count it as walking? Or, is walking, walking.

Thanks,
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:14 AM   #32  
Shooting for Goal

Height: 5' 6"

Tejes I wouldn't count the elliptical as walking because you are not lifting your feet. Elliptical is more like gliding and not considered as good as walking. If there is some reason that you can't walk, I still think it is better than doing nothing. When I went to a trainer for a while he was totally against ellipitcal or ski machines, or glider for the reason that you are not lifting your feet at all so it is easier than walking and he didn't consider it exercise. The X-Weighted Trainer on tv doesn't like those machines either. Now I have tried both and feel that there is some effort put into it so I consider it exercise. I know I put more effort in to my walking out doors than I do on any machine. Well that's my two cents lol. Does your machine tell you how many miles you have gone? If so I would think you could count it.

Sept. 11~5 k
Sept. 12~12 k

111 km/200 km=124.7 miles
Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #33  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I don't usually do the elliptical, but I include my running miles in with my walking. I did this because when I started, I was only running 10-15 minutes a couple of days a week. I'm now up to between 2-4 miles depending on the day. I suppose I could start seperating the total, but now its a habit.

Today I got in my 4 miles with a 2.6 mile run within.

September goal - 90
total walked - 36
left to goal - 54
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #34  
Jen

S/C/G: 212/185/145

Height: 5'6

Everyone is doing great ladies! I got another mile in last night and will continue the journey! Keep up the outstanding work ladies!

Jen
WannaLose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the information about the elliptical. I find that it is hard on my knees...even the newer ones that are supposed to be better.

But, I am finding that pounding the pavement is also hurting one knee. The walking to the WATP DVD's doesn't cause the same problem. I'll check all this out with my podiatrist, but it's interesting...no doubt, the floor in my house is softer than the sidewalk!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:20 AM   #36  

hi! ^-^ Would it be okay if I joined you all? I have to admit I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of me committing to exercising~ I'm not sure what a good amount is to start off at...

Since I'm starting late, I thought maybe I could start with a mile a day? And maybe eventually work my way up..

My Sept. goal will be 18 miles :O I reeeeally hope I can stick with it ^-^

I did use a treadmill today for the first time in forever @-@ and lasted for a mile .. have to be honest, I didn't think I could really do much more than that xD But maybe I can squeeze some extra walks with my dog and enjoy the weather before it gets too cold

I'm 1/18 miles so far Cant wait to try for another tommorow ^-^

- bekko

bekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #37  
Jen

Good morning ladies!

Staying focused on getting my walk in each night! Hope that this helps with the WI tomorrow. Keep up the great work ladies!

Jen
Old 09-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #38  
a whole new mel

S/C/G: 163/141/130

Brandy, thanks so much for the "welcome back"! Yup, we can certainly help each other get back OP! I could use all the accountability I can get at this point! Good job getting those miles in, you are well on your way this month!

bekko, welcome! I know that getting started with exercising can be a bit overwhelming but you chose a fabulous way to get started. Personally, I really enjoy walking (outdoors, mostly) so it doesn't seem like exercise at all. And now that we're heading into fall, the temps are perfect! Congrats on making the choice for a healthier you!

Wannalose13, good luck on your WI! Staying focussed is what this is all about!

Tejas, hope your podiatrist has good news for you! The WATPs videos are great! I love the walk/kick one! Good for getting your heart rate up!

Kokomo, wow! You are burnin' some major tread! WTG!

Genesis, you are doing fantastic, too! And great plan for the next couple days! I'm sure you'll make your goal with the attitude you have!

Anyone I might have missed, a great big !

As for me, I've only walked an additional 4mi, but will do 2 more tonight. DD has school tomorrow so I'll be walking 2 (to and from x2 -- drop off, pick up) and 2 more in the evening. I'm still low though. Gotta get movin'! Hoping to rack up some miles this weekend (hoping the weather improves just a smidge).

Other than that, all's fine here. Hope you all have a GREAT Thursday!

~mel
macdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:02 AM   #39  
Shooting for Goal

mel I joined the Kickstart walking program in Kelowna through the Recreation Centre so I'm wearing a pedometer and count all my steps for the whole day.

Sept 13~9 k
Sept 14~17 km. Today was more steps because there was a group walk and I walked to our meeting place and back. It was a bit further away than I thought it was so the km added up. Plus I was cleaning and getting ready to go to Vancouver for the day. I'm really sore tonight lol

137 km/200 km=124.7 miles
Old 09-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #40  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Hi everyone, I'm leaving for Kansas City today to participate in the Breast Cancer 3 day walk. I'll be back on Tuesday. Keep up the good work!!!

September goal - 90
Miles walked - 40
Miles to go - 50
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #41  
Jen

Good morning all!

I walked another mile last night and hope to get another mile or two in tonight.

ArtsyGirl - Good luck with your Cancer walk!

Kokomo - Keep up the great work!

Macdeez - Thanks for the encouragement..........I will have to agree with you that staying focused is the key to success.

Have a great day & weekend everyone!
Jen
Old 09-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #42  
a whole new mel

Kokomo, that's great! I had no idea that the rec centre here offered that program. Then again, I really haven't checked into *ANY* of their programs. It's definitely cool to talk to someone from the same city! Let's keep in touch! Great job getting all those km's in! I'm sure with that sort of progress, you're gonna reach goal in NO time! Have fun in Vancouver!

Brandy, good luck on your 3-day walk for breast cancer! We're all here you on!

Jen, good for you for getting a few more miles in! Have a great weekend!

As for me, I've managed to get another 8 in (mostly indoors as the weather hasn't been too cooperative). Today looks nice though, so I'm gonna put DD in the stroller and head out for a walk. Hoping to get another 4 in today.

Nothing else going on this weekend. Fall is definitely here though.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Best wishes and stay happy and healthy!

~mel
Old 09-18-2006, 03:29 AM   #43  
Shooting for Goal

Way to go ladies

I upped my walking this month but I am having trouble controlling my food. I'm going to change my weight tracker, I'm up 7 lbs. From 163 to 170 Yikes. I have got to get this under control. I'm pigging out way to much on junk.

Tejas Walk Away the Pounds is great exercise. I would do the exercise that is the least stressful on your knees. I find if I do too much to soon it is hard on my knees. So maybe skipping a day between will help or do some other kind of exercise, like swimming.

Thanks Jen I have been walking for years but had gotten lazy. Wearing a pedometer all day gets me up and walking more.

Brandy Good luck with the 3 day cancer walk. I was hoping it would be on tv but haven't seen anything on it here in Canada. I do hope they show some of it on tv. I have seen the ads for it and it looks hard but challenging and rewarding to do.

Mel Our trip to Vancouver was great once we got over the Coquihalla highway. Fog, snow, hail and rain on our way there. On the way back serious fog. Thankfully my husband drove in the fog. My daughter drove there. The cooler weather has been great for walking in. The other night I almost turned the heat on, it was cold in the house.

Sept. 15~14 km
Sept. 16~9 km
Sept. 17~1 km--migraine.

161 km/200 km=124.7 miles

Last edited by Kokomo; 09-18-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #44  
a whole new mel

I've been slacking so bad... only another 3mi to add to my total. I'm waaaaaay behind. Need to get my rear in gear!

Another 2mi (at least) today. The weather is hideous and both DD and I are on our way to getting colds. Blech. So we'll see. I have a busy busy week ahead of me so I'm really hoping that with all the craziness, I'll be able to rack up some good miles.

Anyway, I'm off to get DD ready for school. Hope you all have a great Monday!

~mel

PS/ Glad to hear you had a great time in Vancouver, Kokomo. Yeah, that highway can be quite trecherous anytime, but add in fog... or snow... eeek!
Old 09-20-2006, 04:54 AM   #45  
Shooting for Goal

Feb. 18~11 km
Feb. 19~10 km

182 km/200 km=124.7 miles