Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/153/140

Default Question about running and body type

I have the typical pear body shape, you know a little more junk in the trunk then I like. I have began a running program and I am up to 4 miles every other day. My question is will this running cause my leggs to get a lot bigger or is that just a myth? I enjoy running however I do not want to make my leggs any bigger than need be. Is there other excercises that would work better for my body shap? Any help is greatly appreciated.
cole2513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #2  
Weight-Loss Warrior

S/C/G: 195/188.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Hi, I'm a pear shape as well. I have naturally thick legs. When I was running hardcore before my legs got smaller and toned but were still thick. I've learned to accept what my body can and can not be. And, at least for me, that means I will never have long thin model-like legs. I'm starting running again and looking forward to my legs going back to their toned muscular selves.
Hope this helps and congratulations to the 4 miles every other day that is awesome!!!
Liz-z78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #3  
Meg

Hi Cole! Way to go on your running program! Don't worry, you can run your heart out and your legs won't get any bigger. Running isn't muscle building activity (it's cardio), so you can't bulk up. But it's great for getting lean, tight legs, just like Liz said. Think about the legs of runners you see - generally quite lean and defined, with barely any fat at all.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/146/129

Height: 5'7"

I'm also the classic pear shape and I have to say that the more running I do, the smaller my butt gets! Not only do your legs tone up, but I lose more fat on my bottom. Running consistently has entirely changed my "shape". Good luck running!
Bambi12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Running hasn't really made my thick legs any leaner, but it has given me much better muscle definition, especially above the knee. The only other time that area has as much muscle definition was after a summer of canoeing and (more importantly) portaging a 3 person aluminum canoe (around 75lbs) for a few km per day. Running also hasn't made my butt disappear, but it's also tighter than before.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #6  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Cole - I am pear shaped as well, I like to say I suffer from chronic ghetto booty. I tried squats, weights, lunges and all forms of cardio and had little to no success at spot reducing in my thighs/hips/butt. However after 2 months of running I have lost inches on my hips and butt and my legs are NOT getting bulky in fact they are a little smaller but much much more tone.
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

Since I've been running (about 3mos), I've lost the majority of inches in my thigh, butt and ab area. If anything you will probably look and feel tighter, not flabby. And I agree with Meg, running is cardio. I haven't noticed my legs getting more muscular, but have noticed less cottage cheese dimples in my thigh/butt area from earlier fat!
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:07 PM   #8  

I have noticed since i started running that my legs have gotten more definition. Running is great cardio and i cannot imagine your legs doing anything but having great shape. Keep up the hard work!
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #9  

i dont want to lose focus of this thread buti do have a question: i am 245 lbs. do youthink it is feasible for me to start a regular running regimen?
brownsugah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #10  

start slowly with walking and build up to it. Depending on your size/ht, it could be possible. I am 170 and 5'4" and i can run... Football players weight over 200 lbs, some over 300 lbs and can run. It really depends on your level of fitness right now. Depending on your age and health, you probably should talk to a doctor first, just to make sure. A good beginner program is the couch to 5k plan on coolrunning.com, and if it feels too tough, you are encouraged to repeat weeks until it feels comfortable.
eadavenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

brownsugah: I agree with eadavenp - start slowly and try. Coolrunning.com does have a great C25K program that you can work up to your level by repeating weeks, if needed. I just liked having a schedule to see my accomplishments. I would suggest you come over to the Advice for Runners forum, or the CoolRunners forum and ask your question. There are many other advanced runners, esp in the Cool Runners, that can advise you. I would check with your dr to make sure that there are no physical limitations. And make sure you stretch good before and after!!
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #12  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

brownsugah -

It all depends on your beginning level of fitness. I've been running for 10 years at my highest weight of 200+ and even now.

I ran my first half marathon (almost 4 years ago) at a weight of 175 (I'm 5'7)...and I didn't walk any of it.

I think that as long as your knees and lungs can support you, you'll be fine.

Make sure you invest in a good running shoe though.

Brooks (Addiction 7 - about $80) and New Balance (991 or 992 - $100+) make good ones for the 'heavy runner' - both are very comfortable (although both are 'ugly' shoes - lol)
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote