Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-08-2006, 07:40 AM   #1  

Default Am I Working Out Right

I walk at a incline of 6 at a speed of 1.9 on my treadmill for 90minutes 7 days a week. I planned to up the speed and incline as I keep at it. I been doing this for 3 weeks now and it fine physically. My problem is I can't run so jogging is out of the question due to a deform feet and legs but can walk fast.

Walking is the only work out I can do besides swimming which I try to do 2 times a week for an hour.

Am I working out right, how can I be sure I am burning fat and toning?
poetlucia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #2  

Try intervals on the treadmill. After a warmup, walk moderately for a few minutes, then up the speed to brisk for a minute or two. Then go back down and repeat the intervals. The actual speeds you use is individual to you. You can also do this if you walk outside.

I have a number of self-made programs I use on the treadmill, but they fall into two groups-

endurance- brisk walking for 10-15 minutes, alternating with moderate for 5 minutes. This works on building up my endurance.

intensity- really fast walking, jogging or an all out run for a minute or two, alternating with moderate (rest). This builds strength and efficiency for my cardio vascular system.

By using intervals, you don't have to do long sessions. My endurance ones are 55-60 minutes, and the intensity ones are 40-45 minutes.

If you do the same program for months, your body adapts to it, so by changing it around, your body doesn't become complacent.

I would also suggest some sort of lifting routine 2-3 times a week. Cardio exercise is great for burning fat, but lifting develops some muscle, leading to the 'toned' look. You don't have to lift heavy, start off at light weights. Given time, you will surprise yourself.

As far as being sure that you are burning fat, only results will tell the truth. I believe the important factor is to actually do the exercise.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote