3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Are The Calorie Counters On Cardio Machines Accurate? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/88023-calorie-counters-cardio-machines-accurate.html)

Meg 03-02-2007 04:55 AM

I'm no heart rate monitor expert but I can talk about the one I have. :) I decided to buy a Polar one because it syncs with the cardio machines in my gym. If I wear the chest strap, the machine will read out my HR, even if it doesn't have sensors. If the equipment in your gym says 'Polar heart rate ready', then Polar monitors will work with them.

The model I picked is an F6. I wanted one that's 'coded' - that means it won't pick up the HR of the person next to you if they're wearing a monitor. In a big spin class, that's an issue. The F series is designed for calorie counters - other models (the A's?) are more for ruuners and have all sorts of cool features that a runner would love.

Like I said, I'm not an expert at all so if you're interested in Polar, check out their web site and for info on other brands, you might be able to find some comparisons using Google. :)

srmb60 03-02-2007 08:18 AM

I have a plain jane, inexpensive Omnron. $35 or so. All I wanted it to do was measure my heart rate. I was amazed how much difference it made to my attitude regarding intensity.

DonnaD69 03-12-2007 02:02 AM

I understand that it's interesting to know how many calories are burned, but we need to not get too hung up on it. The fact that you are standing/sitting at a machine and actually doing some sort of exercise is good enough! It means you made it past the hardest part of exercise...getting there! Now don't worry about 50 or even 100 calories, push yourself a little further each time and give yourself a pat on the back...that'll burn calories too!
:ebike:
Yay to everyone for "getting there"!

Tomato 02-26-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetSerious (Post 1369212)
From what Ive read. The treadmill is the only cardio machine that accurately measures calories burned.

I don't know about that - maybe only the high-end treadmills that allow you to enter personal data? My treadmill displays the number of calories that I burned but I don't know if the calculation considers my weight and my height (I cannot enter any personal data), or if it uses the concept of an "average woman" (who I believe, is 5'4" tall and weighs 140 lbs [which a bunch of hoey IMHO]).

I don't go by the calories, but I am hoping that my height will actually make the reading accurate (I am 5'9"). I can keep dreaming, right? ;)

raw23 09-13-2008 08:36 PM

When I do 45 minutes on a elliptical it says I burned 250 calories. No matter if I'm sluggish and go 30 mph or if I haul it and keep it at 50-60 mph. When I go home and check a few online calculators it comes closer to 400-500. I've decided to split the difference and tell myself I burn 325.

Kelly46 09-14-2008 08:12 PM

Meg,
I'm new to the site. I just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss. Looking at your photo then seeing how much you lost has totally inspired me.
Thank you. YOu look great.

Kelly

looloo86 12-12-2008 08:24 AM

Thanx this thread was really helpful i always doubted the counters on these machines .

bakerygrl 01-27-2009 03:20 AM

I just use the calorie count as a guide, I try to burn a little bit more every time i go to the gym.

sws19 02-03-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg (Post 1593796)
I'm no heart rate monitor expert but I can talk about the one I have. :) I decided to buy a Polar one because it syncs with the cardio machines in my gym. If I wear the chest strap, the machine will read out my HR, even if it doesn't have sensors. If the equipment in your gym says 'Polar heart rate ready', then Polar monitors will work with them.

The model I picked is an F6. I wanted one that's 'coded' - that means it won't pick up the HR of the person next to you if they're wearing a monitor. In a big spin class, that's an issue. The F series is designed for calorie counters - other models (the A's?) are more for ruuners and have all sorts of cool features that a runner would love.

Like I said, I'm not an expert at all so if you're interested in Polar, check out their web site and for info on other brands, you might be able to find some comparisons using Google. :)

i just bought this and used it for the first time yesterday. it told me i burned about 50 more calories than the treadmill told me. i couldn't believe it.:carrot:

EveLHaelf 06-30-2009 11:25 PM

Confused...

So I was at the polar website looking at ALL of the different monitors they have and I'm confused. They aren't very descriptive...I just want something simple that does the beep thing if my heart rate drops below targed and it counts calories burned. I'm totally new to heart rate monitors and I have no idea how they work. I've read that some monitors have chest straps? how does that work? I've been looking into things like body bugg and go wear fit, and I love the idea of wearing it on your upper arm instead of sticking something to your chest, I just don't like the monthly fee crap. Does polar offer anything like that? Does anyone? lol any help is really appreciated. :^:

CakeBatter 07-01-2009 07:54 AM

In my experience with this. The TM and Arc trainers tend to be pretty accurate. I wear a HR monitor and it counts my calories and they are pretty close in number. Sometimes my monitor is higher. I imagine because machines are based off of 150 lb person but I am 171 lb person. I use a Garmin Forerunner 205.

in need of solace 10-28-2009 04:11 PM

What!?! You mean I didn't burn 1000 calories in 37 minutes on the elliptical machine yesterday. :D BUT it said I DID!!!

LOL :dizzy:

Like many in this thread I only use the calorie readout like a "score" and I'm forever trying to beat my high score.

Corella191 11-13-2009 01:05 AM

I love the machines they have at the gym i go to. The gym is part of the local Hospital, Southern Ohio Medical Center, Its called the Life Center, the machines they use are absolutely amazing, every cardio machine has a heart rate monitor, calorie counter and personal fitness exercises. You enter your rate, it tests your begininng heart rate, you set the time you are going to be on it, and during the workout the calories appear on the machines, its actually very accurate. Ive added the figures multiple times and its almost 99% accurate.

Lightf00t 04-23-2010 01:30 PM

The readout tells me I've burned 1100-1200 calories in 1 hour on the elliptical. There's no way it can be that much.

FattyFatFat 04-27-2010 11:32 AM

Those things lie, and are not factual as far as I see it. I think it's more of a reference point, because every movement in your stride will defer from the next, the count can only be used as a basis. I'd say 1/2 of what it claims is more accurate than the full amount it says.