Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 147.6/145.4/130

Default Accuracy of fitness machines

I was just wondering:

How accurate are the newest ellipticals and treadmills at calorie counting? For instance, I am 5'6", 20y/o, 145lbs and today I did an hour of interval training on a new eliptical at my gym..by the end it said I had burned around 680cals...How accurate is that? Does anyone know?
mdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #2  
Meg

I only use the calorie counters on the machines as a benchmark to compare each cardio session. From what I've read, the counters on all cardio machines are wildly inaccurate and tend to read very high. The ellipticals at my gym say that I burn 800 calories per hour - no way!!

Every manufacturer has an incentive to make its machine appear to burn more calories than the competitors - then you'll use or buy their machine! Even on-line calulators are only guesstimates of how many calories YOU burn.

It sounds like you got a great workout and that's all that matters!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

How accurate as the calories burned in fitday? I usually find there isn't a huge difference between my bike and what it says on fitday, usually my bike is at most 50 calories higher.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

There's a calories burned estimator that I sometimes use to double check the machines or if I'm doing some sort of exercise that doesn't involve a machine and I need an approximation of calories burned.

http://www.healthstatus.com/cbc.html
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

WOW that thing says I burn almost 1000 calories doing 80 min on my exercise bike, but my bike and fit day both say 650ish... I wish it was 1000, haha
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote