Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-16-2006, 03:52 AM   #361  

It's at coolrunning.com, 1sttimer.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #362  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I've been considering the C25K program for a while, but kept thinking I should wait until I'm not so heavy. Today, even though it's heavy cramp day (TOM), I went for a longer walk (I usually try to make my walks longer on the weekend), and I mixed in 5 jogging intervals (they were 2 minutes long except the last one, which was 3 minutes). The whole walk/run was 45 minutes (not counting warm-up and cool-down) and I only did 10 minutes of jogging, but I feel like that was a great start for me!

Here's the problem. During the week, I can't walk outside because I don't want to do it in the dark (I get home too late and I leave the house too early), so I always use the treadmill at the gym. I have balance issues (which are improving slowly), so I can't jog on the treadmill yet.

Do you think I'll still be able to improve if I only mix in my running intervals on the weekend, when I can walk/run outside?
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:28 AM   #363  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

I think any running/walking will be beneficial. Even if you do it just once a week, you will still be pushing your body to increase in fitness (and use a few more calories for that session), it will just take a little longer to progress with your running.

Well I did over 5 miles yesterday! I am developing a weekend long run and it was great. I could do it, and felt like I could go further. It felt very strange when I got to the end and started walking!

Hope everyone else is doing well
Pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #364  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

WTG Finn on completing your first 20 minutes. Definitely begin to feel like a runner when you run for that long, uh?

Wow Pachy - 5 miles! Congratulations!!!

Hello to 1st Timer, MariaMaria, and LisaMarie71. I agree with Pachy that any efforts to push your body further will benefit you. Yes, it will take longer but you just have to do what you can do instead of waiting for the miracle moment (that never seems to happen) for it all to click. Best to all of you.

I have thoroughly enjoyed doing the C25K program, and owe it all to my being able to go from a struggling 60 sec run to now doing well over 3 miles in a matter of months. I did a 3.5 mile run Saturday morning. My running schedule is now made up of being creative with my schedule and trying to increase by 10% each week. I am presently training for a 10k in November, and sometimes I have to just reflect on how far I've come over this summer.

Next week my plan is to run 3.25 miles on Tuesday, 2.5 easy run on Thursday, and then my "long" run on Saturday trying for at least 3.75miles. Hope to be able to get up to 4miles by Sept-end, and 5miles by Oct-end. I know that I will probably not be able to run a complete 10K (6.2miles), but I should be able to do the majority of the miles.

Keep runnin' everyone....
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #365  

Well, I did it again today...woohoo!

My legs were hurting already this morning, particularly at the hip joint. I guess they're not used to being picked up from the ground so much.

Today I did another 45 minutes (not counting warm-up and cool-down) of brisk walking with four 2-minute jogging intervals and one 3-minute one. For one of the intervals, I tried to RUN instead of jogging just to see if I could get a little speed going, but I probably shouldn't have because it just about knocked me over!

I feel good about it, and I'm ok with a slow start. I do wish I could jog during the week instead of just walking on the treadmill, but this is better than nothing! I can't decide if I'm going to do the C25K thing or just go by how I feel and make my intervals longer when I can, since I'll only be doing it on the weekend for now.

Thanks for the support, by the way! It's nice to be immediately welcomed with advice and support. I love this message board!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #366  
Domestic Engineer

Hi-
I'd love to join your thread! I'm a total wannabe runner. I started the couch to 5K program back in January and didn't quite get to 20 minutes of continuous running, but close. Unfortunately I stopped (stupid 2 week vacation that messed me up!) in April and really haven't done much since.

So I'm kind of starting from scratch. I got on the treadmill yesterday and I guess I'm doing a modified week 1. I had forgotten the intervals so did more like 90 seconds/2 minutes jogging and 2 minute walking. I think I will do the same for the rest of the runs this week and again next. Then go on to week 3. It felt so good to move again and sweat!

I do t-tapp (www.t-tapp.com) on my off days so I feel like I'm getting some great exercising in...hopefully I can get some weight off with consistency!
I'll check in tomorrow after my date with the treadmill
jelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:21 AM   #367  

Height: 5' 7''

Hi Emily. Welcome to the thread....I've found it a fountain of knowledge and support and hope you do too
Congratulations on your 7lb loss so far and keep up the great work!
Its great that you are back on the C25k program, just make sure your modified week 1 isn't too much too soon....its no shame to drop back a level.

Today I'm doing my week 6 day 2 run, which I can hardly believe is the last one with a walking interval! I found d1 pretty hard and am totally dreading d3...but I guess I just need to go in with a positive attitude. I've been looking for a 5 k race in my area coming up but the only one I can find is a 5 mile fun run on Oct 6th. I know I can walk half of it but I'm nervous as so far I've only been running on a treadmill....hmmm think I may defer my decision for a few weeks.

Thanks to you guys for the support given when I posted about my 20min run. You guys are great!
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #368  

jelynn. Glad that you are picking it back up. I will echo Finn's comment that there is no shame if you find you need to back up a week, but I've always tried to push through where I could to make sure it wasn't head games that I was running interference with. I even repeated weeks as I got further along in the program to make sure that I was ready to progress to the next level.

Lisa, how's the hip feeling?

Finn, enjoy your "last" walk interval. Actually I found myself having to walk about a minute due to some groin aches right near the end of last night's run. I wanted to push myself to do my planned run and knew that I needed to walk in order to finish.

Did my 3.25mile planned run in just over 41mins (due mostly to walking). My last mile slowed me down considerably. I just ran up against a wall, I guess. My groin muscle is still a little tender this morning, but I will stretch it out good tonight before running again tomorrow. Easy run scheduled for tomorrow - 2.5miler. The temps have been so much better, and very low humidity so I've really enjoyed being outside.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #369  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

I just started the C25K program, and tomorrow I'll be doing W1D3. It's nutty to think that by December I could be running 30 minutes straight! It's kind of hard to believe, actually... I'm nervous that I won't progress like some of you have.
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #370  
Domestic Engineer

Just finished w1d2-- Took it a little slower both with the walking and running (1.87 mi instead the the 2 mi. Monday) 90 seconds did seem a little harder today, but I never felt like I had to stop.

We are installing a deep jetted tub-- my dh is just trying to figure out the electrical. I can not wait until I can get in there with my sore, worked muscles!! lol
Old 09-20-2006, 01:30 PM   #371  

Kashi and jelynn, sounds like you guys are doing the program basically together. That really helps when there is someone close to you in terms of weeks that you can share back and forth!

Kashi, It did take me about 14 weeks to do the 9 week course because I repeated some of the later weeks, probably due more to weather sapping my energy than the actual program, now that I think about it. As for being nervous, use it as a catalyst to "just do it" even when you really don't want to. December gives you a good timeframe, but don't let it work against you. If you feel you need to take additional weeks to progress, well then do that. You will definitely one day soon be running 30 min straight if you set your mind on it! (I didn't think that I would ever be able to run 20 minutes straight, and now my normal runs run between 30-40mins depending on mileage)

jelynn, our family has a jacuzzi and you are so right about enjoying it after a hard run or exercise routine!! Nothing beats it for sore, tight muscles.

Last edited by softballmom; 09-20-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #372  

Got in my planned 2.5miles last night. Now that I've graduated from the C25K program, I am slowly adding mileage to each week by using the 10% rule. Tomorrow's run is planned for 3.75miles. I signed up for a 10k in November which I am presently training for. I might not be able to run all 6.2 miles, but I will be making a good effort.

Finn, how did your last run go? So today is a 25minute run (2.25miles) - no walk intervals, right? Good luck to you. I know you can do it! Chant: "I'm a runner, I'm a runner, I'm a runner"

Edited to add:
webweevil and eadavenp - you guys should be graduated or very close!!! How close are you? I haven't heard from either of you in a couple of weeks and you guys were real close to the last weeks. Drop in here or at CoolRunners forum to keep us posted on your hard work. I like the forums for accountability myself. And where's Shrinking Mama? Hope you guys are still running. Don't a couple of you have some races coming up? Idest, I remember you have a walk planned for October? that you had signed up to do. Just check in if you're out there and let me know how you are. Pachy, I'm working on catching up with you.

Last edited by softballmom; 09-22-2006 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #373  
Domestic Engineer

Did my w1d3 yesterday, felt really good. I took it really slow, but halfway through went up .2mph for the running and walking (believe me, still really slow, lol)
How long did it take you previous beginners to increase speed? I started at 230 so I'm a little heavier this time around- can't wait to get some of this weight off so it gets easier! (was 224.6 today!)

Kashi- are you around? How's it going??

Softballmom- thanks so much for the support! I hope you stick around here for awhile more!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #374  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

Hey jelynn! Glad to hear that w1d3 went well for you. If you like, we should start a PM correspondence to keep up with how each other's doing with the C25K! Are you moving on to week 2 next week, or repeaing week 1? I'm still debating whether or not I'll repeat. My next workout is tomorrow, so it'll probably just depend on how I feel then.

I have a mild pain in my right foot, along the inside of my foot's arch. I bought decent quality shoes, but they're not specifically running shoes, and they weren't fitted to my arch or anything. I really don't have any money to buy new shoes, though, and maybe it's just my feet getting accustomed to the impact. I don't have any knee, shin, or hip pains, so I guess I should count my blessings.
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:50 AM   #375  

softballmom - Thanks for asking about my hips. They were doing better during the week, but I have a feeling my whole lower body will be sore tomorrow!

During the week, I did my usual treadmill walks except for Wednesday, when I did 20 min on the elliptical then did a Walk/Jog DVD so I could get a bit of jogging in during the week.

Today I did an hour of walking/jogging. 15 minutes of it was warm-up/cool-down (not intentionally -- I just happened to be 10 min away from the house at the end ). I mixed in 15 minutes of jogging (five 3-min. intervals) with 30 minutes of fast walking. I didn't think I could do the full 3 minutes every time, but I did!! My legs hurt a bit, and I got a bit of a weird feeling in the front of my knee, below the knee. I hope that's just a normal pain and not the beginning of some kind of injury, because I'm pretty excited about my progress so far!

I think I'll do a shorter walk/jog tomorrow but I'll make my walking intervals shorter so I'm doing more jogging than walking. I'll see how I feel. If my knees feel funny, I'll just walk. I'm all about doing what feels right. I can't believe I'm jogging at 246 pounds!