Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-17-2006, 07:17 AM   #136  

Height: 5'5"

Lou & Pachyderm,
Aren't you supposed to run without holding on to the handbar? Personally I am not concerned about whether I do or don't, but I remember reading somewhere that you were not supposed to hold on to the bars when running. If people don't think it will be a problem, I'll just continue on as is.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

Webweevil, I'm afraid I don't know as I've never really got into using a treadmill. A quick google search revealed no answers either. Perhaps you should ask this question on the cool runners thread. However, if you aren't supposed to use them, why do some of them have heart rate monitors built into the handbars??

Lou, my websearch has reminded me, that running on a treadmill is very different to running on the road. Training websites recommend doing at least a few of your training runs on the road if you are preparing for a race. Good luck with the training, it is great that you already have a race planned.
Pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

Just thought I'd say that I am going away until Friday so I probably won't be able to post in the meantime. My sister is graduating from University and she has a long graduation process to get through. I'll still be running, but this heat is a killer (100 degrees - argghh). Not good for sitting in stuffy halls watching streams of people graduating either!
Pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

Yesterday was my W5D1. Not too bad. I think doing Week 4 2x might have helped. I'm still contemplating D3 later this week which is 20 minutes, no walk - mmmmm?

Webweevil: I don't have any thoughts on treadmills, sorry.

Pachy: Congrats to your sister on her graduation. I agree with the heat - last week on vacation I was able to do mornings and it really helped it a lot. I guess I didn't realize how much the heat was playing into things. I was blaming my headgames mostly.

Hope everyone else is playing safe and still doing something to keep moving.
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:56 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Pachyderm, you're oh so right about running outside prior to your race. I only ran outside once before my first 5K (on July 4), and it truly was different. I could run longer on a treadmill by far. I've now started training on a track and on pavement.

Getting that first 5K in is challenging--I was quite nervous and almost didn't go. But once you start, your body remembers what it's supposed to do. I couldn't run the full 5K, but neither could others. I ran for as long as I could, then walked, ran, walked, ran, and ultimately ran to the finish line because everyone was being so encouraging. I was so psyched I immediately signed up for a second one, which was held yesterday. Since I hadn't felt well all week, I ended up walking it and came in second as a walker, behind my DH, aka Long Legs. He even passed two able-bodied runners.

I think of how far I've come (from the couch!) and know that one day I'll be able to run an entire race, but for now just being in the race, and running about half of it before I have to walk works for me and, frankly, if someone had told me a couple of years ago that I'd be doing this, I would have laughed hysterically.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #141  

Webwevil : yup i think not holding on is better but maybe to start with & get your confidence... & its better than not doing anything...

Pachyderm: i think we will try... once we are running 1/2 n walking 1/2 maybe... ... i didnt think it would be harder!! eeeekkkkkkkkkkk ....

Shelia: the little lady is a cutie.... bet she keeps you busy !
lou1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #142  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Who has been running? Not me, been out of town for work. BUT I have a girlfriend coming for a visit and she wants to go running. I am afriad she will kick my butt and that is all the inspiration I need. SO tonight I will be hitting the trail.

webweevil - sometimes on home treadmills or ones that are smaller that the gym the belts are so thin that I have trouble as well. I would try slowing it down to where you are going at a power walking pace but in running form. Try that till you get your balance.

pachy - Haha I did that the other day. Knew I would not have time that night so went out in like 95 degree weather. Thought I had burst the blood vessels in my face I WAS SO RED! Good job getting it done though.

softballmom - You can do day 4, just go out there and push yourself hun!

sheila - nice to hear about your 5k experience I have yet to do mine, I am kind of scared.
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:13 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 187/171/130

Height: 5'4"

Lightbulb Goodness it's hot

We went away for a three day weekend & didn't get home until late last night. I skipped exercising all weekend, but DH & I did 2.5 miles worth of intervals Monday morning. It was sooo hot though, we walked more than I would have liked to. Better to be safe than sorry I think. The temps hit near 100 yesterday where we were.

It has been broiling today too, but I'm getting ready to do a quick workout. Probably only walking, but at least it's something!
GenreGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #144  

I did D2W5 last night at the community's center indoor track. I actually couldn't remember if it was two 8 minute runs or three, so I went for three! When I found out later that it was suppose to be only two instead of wimpering, I rejoiced. I guess I can be a runner after all

Thursday will be the 20 minute, no walk. I think I will do it again at the center - A/C helps
Hope everyone is running, if not physically then in their hearts for one day soon.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #145  

Height: 5'5"

Three eight minutes runs - it just seems unbelieveable to me at this point in my running that anybody can run that long. Great going softballmom!

Today I did week 2 day 2 of the c25k program on the treadmill. Yeah! I will be a runner. I know I can; I know I can.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #146  

we live to tell the tale.. walk 4min, run 2 min x5.... thought we were going to die.... its sooo hot.. but we did it.. + we had a few days rest (not planned... not getting out of work early enough) ...

run again friday..

lx
lou1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:31 AM   #147  

Tonight is the 20 minute run, no walk! I'm a little excited and a little nervous. I will be doing this at the indoor track due to air quality being unhealthy and mid 90s. And the A/C, yes, that would be a very good thing.

DD has ball practice tonight afterwards so I probably won't make it back here until tomorrow am.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #148  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Well I tried running yesterday. It did not go well. I don't think it was the heat...I honestly thing maybe I progressed through the program to quickly. I did the 20 minute runs and they killed me. I did not stay until it became easier I just went on. And now I find myself on week 8 day 3 and I cannot do it. I just keep retrying, then failing then getting down on myself. I want the program to work more than I want to finish the program. So I am going back to week 6 and only progressing when I can do that 20 minute run each and everytime and not die in the process.

softballmom - sounds like you are just chugging along on the program. Heat effects your running so much I think it is smart that you are doing it indoors yet not on a treadmill. Good luck on your twenty mins...

webweevil - YOU WILL BE A RUNNER...your so determined. Keep it up!

lou - good job. The runs where you think you are going to die it is so hard are the ones that feel the best when you are done with them.
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #149  

Stephie, Good idea on moving on to the next week when you feel better with the current week. Having done week 4 twice due to vacation, I could definitely tell a difference at the start of this week compared to starts of other weeks before. In fact, I told my dh today that I'm going to go in with an "I can do this" mentality, but if my body starts balking, I will walk some and then pick back up to finish. I will not move on to week 6 until I get the 20 mins under control. Not that I will be comfortable the entire time, but it should only be a challenge, not a death toll. I know weeks 7-9 are full 25-30 minute runs each day, so week 6 is the last week to have some interval running. Good luck. You've come so far, don't give up!

Hope everyone else is doing well and staying inspired.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:23 PM   #150  

S/C/G: 258/218/169

Height: 5'9"

Hello everyone!

I had company for a few days and I got off track with running, exercising and diet. I'm not very happy with myself but am jumping back in today. I did day 1, week 6 today. I felt kind of slow but it went well.

Idest - How did it go on the treadmill?

Softballmom - The indoor track sounds great. Good luck on day 3. You can do it and you'll feel great afterwards.

Stephie - I know you'll work through this and figure out what you need to do. I think we will all benefit from hearing about your process. Thanks for sharing.

Sheila53 - Thanks for sharing about your 5k. I'd love to hear any other tips or high points about it. I had to chuckle when you said that you were nervous and almost didn't go. I know that that will probably be me the night before.

Pachyderm, Webweevil, Lou, Genregirl - Hope you're all doing well and staying cool. Happy running!
Shrinking Mama is offline   Reply With Quote