Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #61  

hey all, long time no see! I ran my 5k (sort of) and finished in about 40 minutes. Not great but not walking the whole time either. I was very proud of my fundraising effort (4,400 dollars) which made up for the sting of a crummy race time. I was also at just about my heaviest in four years (175 lbs)

I have had some time off of running, but im losing some of the wieght i packed on from the stress of the end of school, grad school admissions, graduation/moving etc. (im down 7 lbs since Mother's Day!) I had a breast reduction which has forced me to quit just about all activity. (i can walk, but i can't walk with my dogs because that might hurt my chest and arms) I should be able to go back to working out in a week or so. I have a new program from cooking light magazine that i want to start, it looks fun and like more of a challenge. the couch to 5k program starts too slowly for me. I am also looking for recs for heart rate monitors, any suggestions?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #62  

Congrats eadavenp. You finished and that is all that matters. Ladies, i am so glad i found this board. I love coming here to see where everyone is with their running and it gives me so much motivation. Thanks to everyone. Ran yesterday and i am done running until i purchase new shoes on Thursday. I think the 10k did more of a number on my old shoes than it did on me, LOL. Until then, i am enjoying my 2 days off and playing softball. Its not running but at least it will hopefully give me some decent exercise.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:25 PM   #63  
Ilene the Bean

eadavenp -- $4,400 THAT's an accomplishment!!

I've been running on the dreadmill because of time restraints but I have been playing mind games and doing speed intervals and having fun with it all so it's a good thing...
Old 06-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #64  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Stephie - thanks for the advice - I will have to check it out. The magazine article I have is actually from a Self magazine from two years ago...

I decided to make my running workout a 'circuit' last night - man that was tough. 10 minutes running (1.12 miles), one set of my yoga/exercise ball stuff, 10 minutes of running (1.13 miles), two sets of my yoga/exercise ball stuff, and then another 10 minutes of running (1.21 miles)...man i was so tired...I ended up doing 3.5 miles in just over 30 minutes...

And then the Mav's lost last night...grr...

Probably taking tonight off
Old 06-14-2006, 09:18 AM   #65  
Jennifer

Hey, CRs! Hope you don't mind my posting here, but I am getting more into running and kinda caught the enthusiasm coming from your posts . I have run on and off for since I started my WL journey a couple years ago, but I've never been terribly consistent with it (with exercise, yes, just not running!). Lately I've been trying to kick it up a little bit. The other day I ran for 40 minutes straight for the first time. I'm not sure how many miles I did, but I do a fairly consistent 11 minute mile at the gym. I know that's nothing to you guys, but I was pretty happy.

I'm thinking of running a 4-mile race in Central Park next month. Do you guys find that you can "do more" in a race because of the competition factor? Sometimes I feel like I could run longer but am still a little bit nervous about hurting myself. I'm in good shape in general (just found out my resting heart rate is around 60!), so I don't get out of breath or feel like my heart will burst, but my body just feels tired. My dad was a long-distance runner but blew out his knees after running 12-13 miles a day for several years, so I'm a little wary.

Anyway, good to see you all here!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #66  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

eadavenp: congrats on your race and on your amazing fund raising efforts!

Emily, that sounds like at tough workout. Do you find it harder or easier to keep switching gears like that compared to say, a 3.5 mile run followed by the yoga/exercise ball workout?

teapotdynamo, I can definitely run faster for longer in a race than normal. I thought I'd lost speed since last summer since I'd just been concentrating on distance and hadn't done much running at 5k pace since last fall. I still set a 20 second pb in a 5k race last weekend. I was suprised I was able to pull the speed out of somewhere once I was surrounded by faster runners.

Yesterday was a 14k run including 12k at marathon pace. It was about 70 and sunny, but I didn't find it too hot. Maybe I'm starting to adapt to the heat. (I hope.) There was a nice breeze. Today's plan is 6-8k at an easy pace.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:19 AM   #67  

Height: 5'7"

teapotdynamo, I'm with OnlyMe--the adrenaline and excitement of a race means I can go fast and farther. BUT, since it feels easy, I have a tendency to go too hard/fast at first and then just suffer the rest of the way. That is a common problem for a lot of people. So go for that 4 miler, but make sure you run the first mile at what feels EASY. You will be going faster than you think.

Tonight is a little local aquathlon, 800 yd swim followed by a 5K run. If I can get registered I'm going to do it.

Anne
Old 06-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #68  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

teapot - yes - I definitely find I can run faster/easier with the competition in the air...

Only Me - the workout of switching it up was harder, IMO...mainly because I was so sweaty it was hard to keep hold of the ball and also because I knew I still had more to run after I was done...If I didn't sweat so much it wouldn't have been so bad, I'm thinking...

I'll probably still do that kind of workout once per week just to mix it up because I was able to 'persuade' myself to run faster since it was only 10-minute intervals.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:06 PM   #69  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Teapot - I usually run faster in races too (Sunday being the only real exception to that).

I had a really good workout this morning, I ran 5.67 miles and then swam for half an hour, tomorrow is an easy 3 miler which I'm looking forward to. I can't believe that I've actually started looking forward to running rather than treating it as a necessary evil.

There's a half decent picture of me in Sunday's race here, it looks better than most of my recent running pictures.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:23 AM   #70  

Height: 5'7"

I did my aquathlon tonight. 800 yd swim with 5K run. My run time was about 42 min and I did a lot of walking. But I'm happy with that considering a) I haven't really been able to train in about a month, b) I'm still sort of on the sick side (cough cough sniff sniff ah-choo), c) it was about 95 degrees F, and d) I just swam hard for almost 17 minutes. Excoooooses, excoooses. But I'm happy with it all the same.

Helen, you look fantastic. Emily, did you have fun with switching it up? That is kind of why I do tris instead of just straight running, always something new to do.

Anne
Old 06-15-2006, 02:41 AM   #71  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I've been out for 3.7 miles this morning. I do like running first thing in the morning to wake me up and get it out of the way. Tomorrow is a rest day so it almost feels like 2 days off - the rest of today and tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #72  
No description available.

Helen, Today is my rest day also and I ran yesterday at 5 am so it feels like it has been FOREVER since I ran. My exercise plans today include elliptical, an hour of sparring and an hour of other kick cardio.

I got three compliments yesterday that I look "great"! Nothing like running to shrink one's girth, eh?
Old 06-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #73  

Height: 5'5"

Default C25k

Yeah! I did it! Today was my first day on the C25K program. It was hard but the one minute jogging/running intervals were doable. By about the thirteen minute mark though, I could have used longer than the one and a half minutes walking recovery time. Do you think it would matter if I extended the walking recovery time to two or two and a half minutes? I would still be doing the same six minutes of jogging.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:14 AM   #74  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

Well done! It will get easier and you've made a great start!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:27 AM   #75  
No description available.

Got up at 5 am (and really really wanted to just stay in bed!) but I ran miles. Like I told my kids, if it is worth doing, it is worth getting up early for.
Closed Thread