Normal soreness on the treadmill or...

• I have really bad hips from childbirth, not to mention the fact that I am getting a "little" bit past my teen years..............(ok, I'm 45!)

Anyway, I have tried and tried to up my speed on the treadmill for power runs. eg. walk @3.5 for 15 run like **** @6.0 for 2 minutes - walk for [email protected] again

but, I try and try and my hips hurt SOOOOO bad! I tried just ignoring the pain thinking it is muscle pain, but it does not go away!

I am really angry that I can't run like I used to in my early twenties. I LOVED running. I really don't know if maybe I'm just a wuss? Should I try and move past the pain? I tried for about 2 weeks and then stopped the speed runs and just stayed at 3.5 for the whole hour.

The other day I tried the speed minute and YIKES! pain!
  • I would get it checked out, you may need some better running shoes, you might want to try glucosamine with chondritin or similar. If it hurts in your joints. Stop.
  • Yikes, I don't know how tall you are, but I'm fairly short (5'4") and older than you, and there is NO WAY I could ever run at 6 mph! My usual on the treadmill is x minutes at 3.5, then intervals of 1-2 minutes starting at 4.2 mph, moving up .1 each one to about 4.6 or 4.7, then finish off with some more at 3.5-3.6 and cool down. Total about 30 minutes. That wipes me out. You might want to try increasing your speed more slowly. Are you using an incline?
  • I'm 5' 4" and have gone as high as 7.0 on the treadmill...granted for a very short time. LOL I normally do 6.2. However...I didn't just do it. I started at something like 3.2, then went to 3.5, then 3.8, and on and on. I worked my way up to 6.2. I didn't think I'd ever be able to go that fast. It took a bit of time to get there.

As for the hips, I've had hip pain on and off since my son was born too. I'm 41. We're not as young as we used to be. If it's not going away, see a doctor. If it goes away but comes back with the treadmill, you may just be aggravating it, not allowing it to heal. Try working up to a run slowly and see if it still aggravates it.
  • thanks for the responses. I am 5' 5", 44yr old and have had 7 babies via the old fashioned way, lol.

You probaby are right tho, maybe it's not how fast I am going, but the jump to get there?

I'll try slowly moving up to 4, then 5 then 6. How long water rat and heaven would you take to do it? I mean, are we talking a week or a month?

Either is fine, I just don't want to move too fast. So perhaps take at least a couple of weeks and work my way up?
  • I would highly advise that you not run anymore and that you go to the doctor's to get it checked out. You really don't want to create more damage to the area than is already there to the point where you could be laid off from doing any kind of exercise for an extended period of time.

I know it can be frustrating because you're on a roll and are afraid of what will happen if you stop. but, injuries need time to heal and the sooner you get to the doctor to find out what is wrong, the sooner you can get an idea of how to correct it and get back to the regular routine.

Michael Navin, CSCS
  • Well it's been a few years so I don't really recall, but I know it was at least a month before I managed to run...and even THAT running was not at 6.0, or 6.2. I worked up to running. After I'd increased my distance to 3 miles a day on the running, then I started working on my speed and building it up.
  • I agree with seeing a doctor. Everywhere I read says if something is hurting you during exercise, stop. You're going to need those hips just to walk around every day. You sure don't want hip replacement surgery at such a young age. So if I were you, I'd ease up some until I saw someone.
  • Thanks guys! I really have been neglecting to have them checked out. My mom had 7 babies too and she said it's just normal, but I really should make sure it is not arthritis or anything.

Growing older has it's great rewards, but also it's hardest defeats!

Doggone it! Now where'd I put my reading glasses??
    (oops, they're on my head!)
  • I'm 5'2 1/2 and run at about 6.5. I'm 51 years old. BUT I can only run once a week or I pay a painful price in my hips and knees.

I'd advise stopping the runnning until you see your doctor. I know women who have had plenty of kids and run, and women who have had no kids and can't run. I'm not sure that childbirth really has a lasting effect on your running ability as long as you are at least 6-8 months post-partum.

Get it checked out- pain as opposed to sore muscles is never good!

Mel