Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-08-2006, 02:38 AM   #1  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

Question Ab Lounger?!??!

Does anyone own a abl lounger? Does it work like they say it does? I want one but my husband and mother in law keep saying Im just going to waste my money on companies and who make things like this are just trying to get money from people like me who are stupid enough to spend money on it.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/192/145

Height: 5'6"

I have a friend with an Ab Lounge and he swears by it. Of course, he hardly has the six-pack featured in the ads, but he does have rhumatoid arthritis and he's still able to get a decent workout on it, so the Lounge must be halfway decent.

Personally, I'd stick to a good old fashioned floor ab routine.
harrypotterybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #3  
I will not fail!

My problem with the floor is I cant seem to get my body up enough for it to feel like a work out. My stomach is too big to get up very high.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #4  

You don't have to go very high on crunches. The ab muscles work the first 30% of the lift, and then the hip area starts to take over. Just keep plugging away with the crunches and you will go higher. When you are up, try to hold it a few seconds, or pulse gently a few times before going back down. I know what you mean about your stomach getting in the way. It's only been this year that I feel like I can move in that area.

There are many ab exercises to do; crunches are not the only ones. I like to do a variety, as that works the muscle from different angles. I do one that targets the upper, and one that targets the lower, although the abs are one large muscle. Doing them on a stability ball is terrific! You really get a workout without having to move very far.

Recently, I have been focusing on my lower back- yoga, straight leg deadlifts and hyperextensions. Those exercises are transfering to my abs as my back gets stronger.

Hope this helps...
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:38 AM   #5  
I will not fail!

Thanks. I tried the Yoga ball but I cant stay on it. Lol. I'll just keep doing my crunches. : )
Old 05-10-2006, 12:55 AM   #6  

We just got one last month and it was hubbies idea. I was very suspicious, but now I like it alot. It's not a wonder machine tho, but I know it works.
My daughter and 19 & 18yr old sons are using it too. None of them are overweight, but they are flabby from Washington winters!! LOL!

I know it works cause you really feel it in your gut and back when you use it.
I don't measure or anything so I don't know if it is slimming or what, but my stomach feels a little firmer than before. I can suck in my gut a lot easier now!! ROTFL!

I do 42-4 minutes real hard on the ab then 1 hour on my treadmill and then 2-4 minutes again on the ab.

We got ours off ebay from a supplier, we got the XL deluxe one and are pleased with it. It's made semi-good, not too cheap, but I can seee how it probably won't last more than a couple years with all of us using it, but the kids will probably get bored with the novelty of it soon!
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #7  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I love my Ab-Lounge. I have an inner-6-pack waiting to get out!

Seriously, I've done crunches on the ball and crunches on the floor, but the only time I feel as if I'm really using my abs to do the work is (not my neck or arms or back) when I'm on the Ab-Lounge. I just sort of fold up on the Ab-Lounge and I can feel the muscles (yes, they really are buried in there) contracting and releasing. All my other bits are totally relaxed.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #8  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I bought an Ab Lounge, and I thought it was a piece of junk. First off, if you are short like me, you can't operate it correctly-my dh had to rig the foot rests higher with a bungee cord! Secondly, after day two of using it, the bolts that allow it to swivel in the middle by your butt fell out (the movement of the machine actually makes them work their way out). Put them back in, got dh to re-tighten them. Fell off every day after about 20 minutes of use. Yeah, I guess it does work your abs-I felt it. But not any more than doing some situps or crunches for the same length of time. I decided to return mine before someone got hurt on it. If you are trying to lose belly flab-cardio is the first thing you should do. I got a Gazelle, which I love, but try a treadmill or elliptical or something if you are wanting something for at home. Even if you crunch your heart away, if it's covered by a jelly roll of fat then you will still look "poochy". Trust me, I'm the jelly rolled queen of pooches b/c of 3 pregnancies and c-sections! It's great to have strong abs, I'm not downing strength exercises-you just won't "see" your results until the actual fat is gone, anyway.

P.S. Save your money-a weight lifter taught me this move, because I have bad neck and back pain and crunches can be painful for me....
Lie flat on the floor on your back (put your hands under your butt if you can't hold them down while doing this)
Keeping your feet together and legs straight, raise them up off the floor to about a 90 degree angle. You should really feel your abs working to hold them steady. Hold for 5 seconds.
While lowering your legs back to the floor, stop halfway and hold straight again for 5 seconds. Do as many reps of these as you can, which for me is only about 20-these are a killer, but they really do work.
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote