Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-30-2006, 03:20 PM   #1  
Tired of being fat!

S/C/G: 335/319/165

Height: 5'11

Default Martial Arts

I want to take like some type of Martial arts. I was thinking of Tae Kwon Do.
However, I am really overweight. Is this something I would need to wait to do until I get in better shape? What I need is a disciplined system... a class, a regimen. Something that I will have to stay focused on, and I have heard that Martial arts really do well for disciplining your total body (spirit included).
have any of you ever took it or have any recommendations? Thanks.
time4aChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #2  

Default kardio kickboxing

i take a kardio kickboxing class at my local martial arts center. the instructor is really good at showing ways to 'pick your level'-- low vs high impact. it's not really the same as tae kwon do or other types of structured martial arts classes, but it's a great workout suited to a wide range of fitness levels and body types. we also do a little pad work which is great for the resistance factor.

i have also taken actual kickboxing classes before where the focus was more on form and sparring, etc-- great workout too. i like both, but i think i like the variety of my current class (cardio and pads both) more than the structure of the other class. different strokes though...
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #3  

I was in Tae Kwon Do for a number of years. When I was a kid, my parents and I all did. We absolutely love it!!! I'd talk to your instructor about your concerns with your weight, but my guess is that this is an excellent method to help you! You're right--it's great for the spirit too!
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:38 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I do kickboxing / Mixed martial arts and I love it. As an instructor I wouldn't be concerned about your weight, since if you felt like you really couldn't do a certain piece of the class, then don't do it. All I ask is for my students to try to the best of their ability. If I can see your working hard then that's fine by me!

You might want to go and watch a class first, but just get in there and try it - even if you do 10 minutes of a class, it's better than none at all
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote