3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Exercise!

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Knee injury question

Old 04-17-2006, 10:23 PM   #1

S/C/G: 140/126/115

Height: 5'3

Default Knee injury question

A few years ago I was ice skating and my skate slid to the side and I fell on my knee. I either damaged the meniscus or tore a ligament. It hasnt really been a problem unless I walk downstairs for a while or run more than a mile. Well, since I rarely ran I didnt do anything about it. Now I want to run and it's been acting up. Today it was even hurting when I was shaving in the shower. I really cant afford surgery right now. Has anyone had success with a knee brace? A hinged one? Does anyone have a similar problem and has anything worked? I will consider surgery if necessary because it seems to be getting worse since I've been exercising so much more. Thanks.

PS I sort of saw a doctor when it first happened. My best friend's father is an orthopedic surgeon and he said that I could have surgery if it was a problem. We didnt talk about braces or go into it further bc i didnt anticipate exercising as much as I do now. I'd rather not ask for his help now since I havent talked to him in over a year.
"A year from now you'll wish you'd started today."

"Make impossible your favorite word. Welcome the challenge. Because when you bring your heart and your mind to your intention, thereís nothing that you canít accomplish."

shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Height: 5'3"

Please, GO see your doctor, he's the best to recommend anything...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Working My Way Back Down

I agree with Ilene. You need a doctor's advice. If you've gone this long, it's unlikely you need immediate surgery. He/she can give you advice on what to do, or not do, to avoid further injury. But unless you know exactly what's wrong, it's hard to know what'll will help/hurt. I've had problems with my knees forever, and PT has helped a lot. Eventually I'll need surgery, but I'm putting it off for now.

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.