Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #1  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Default Pulled Hamsting?

Has anyone ever pulled a hamstring before? Or know what they feel like? My husband tells me thats whats wrong with me but I dont know. Here's the deal...I feel like the muscle in the back of my right leg is too short (if that makes any sense) It just feels like its really pulling back there and when its really strong I can feel it up into my buttock. It doesnt hurt all the time, most times its just uncomfortable. A tight stretchy feeling. If I've been standing for a period of time then it hurts and sitting down usually makes it feel a ton better. Its been like this for maybe a few months. Sometimes I dont feel it at all. Last night while doing my elliptical I could really feel it. So does this sound like a pulled hamstring?

And just so ya know, I dont have health insurance so i cant run over to a doc to have it checked out and its my understanding if it is a pulled hamstring theres not alot to be done anyway. Just curious if anyones had this feeling before.

Thanks!
Hun.e.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I don't really have any advice for you, other than to say ... you shouldn't really have pain for a few months. Something's wrong or you must keep repeatedly doing the same injurous activity. How about chiropracter or massage therapist? It might be worth the investment to see what's up.

But you already knew all that so .... here's my thought. I wonder if we could find some article or something that would tell us some difference between an ordinary post workout soreness and pains that we should be alarmed about. Anyone?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #3  
Mel

Yes, that's what it sounds like. I pulled mine in January and it still hurts, anywhere from excruciating to a dull ache. BUT, here's the catch- to heal you need to rest it. If you are going to continue exercising, you should ice it (fill a bag with ice or use frozen peas and saran wrap it to the entire back of your leg) for 20 minutes afterwards which is just as painful or worse than the pull. And take ibuprofen. It will heal eventually, but because you can't really stop using it entirely, it takes a long time. If you are pig-headed like me and continue to lift and do cardio, it can take forever. I pulled one 6 years ago playing tennis and it bothered me for 3 years until I finally saw a massage therapist/chiropractor who did active release therapy on it. Also painful, BTW. If you don't let it heal or get treatment, scar tissue will build up in the muscle and continually bother you.

Good luck!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #4  
Melissa

Thanks Susan, its not so much pain as irritating and obviously an injury, thanks for your input I really appreciate it.

Mel...this is exactly what my husband tells me that it takes awhile to heal and the only thing you can really do is rest it and ice it. I'm pigheaded! I've got weight to lose before July when we go to Disneyworld! So its a catch 22...not let my leg heal or go on vacation fat and risk not fitting into the rides! Thanks so much for your input I will definetly try icing it after I workout! And no more squats and lunges for awhile!

~melissa
Old 04-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #5  

Sounds like a pulled hamstring to me too, and like was said before, rest and ice is your best bet. Just remember, if it gets worse (which is possible), it might be impossible to enjoy your vacation. You wouldn't want that, right!?

You might also try an anti-inflammatory such as Advil.

Good luck!
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #6  
Melissa

oohh I never thought of that steph! Guess I better be smart about this right doesnt do me any good to be thinner but limping all around the park!! Thanks so much for the input!

~melissa