Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-07-2006, 05:42 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default Kickboxers and martial artists!

Hello there!

I thought I'd start a thread for everyone out there who's into martial arts.

Personally I am training for my Red belt in Kickboxing, well actually it's "freestyle" but I think that's just so the instructors can change anything they want to. I'm on the fast-track black belt option, so I can take gradings as often as I am ready for them, without having to wait for a scheduled grading.

I train 5 hours a week. I'd like to do more, but I've signed up for some runs and I try and fit in some weights and I feel a bit guilty if I don't do weights and running as well

I thought I'd start a thread because I'm interested in matching my nutrition to my workouts, like eating optimum carbs for maximum performance. I've just bought a book on amazon about nutrition for martial arts.

So any others out there who want to join me to jabber on about how much of a PITA back kicks are and how I can't get my right toes to point down while I'm doing a side kick, but how my left toes are great? Then post here and we'll see how it goes

Oh and we need a kickboxing smilie Ms Smilie Producer....
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #2  
No description available.

Hey! Great idea for a thread. I joined Taekwondo after watching my son have a last from the sidelines for four months. I love it! I love to kick stuff and it is never boring. I take the TKD classes and also kick cardio. I have to admit I get dizzy on the back kicks...but they are still fun. And it is amazing how just bouncing on your toes for a couple of minutes can work out your calves. I run twice a week too...I need to make it 4 times and add weights.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

Oh back kicks are just a pain!

I think one of our instructors is a black belt in TKD. You can check out our webby www.shentie-martialarts.com I designed it! Someone has to keep those guys in line!

I used to do Body Combat before I got into kickboxing for real and it really revved me up. Now when I go to body combat classes with my mates the instructor says, "Your kickboxing really shows!" Which is nice, and I can do stuff about 10 times as fast as everyone else in the class!

How long have you been @ TKD?

He he, I never noticed the effect on my calves, they are like rocks anyway!
Old 03-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #4  
Keep going Keep going

S/C/G: 240/191.5/150

Hi I started Boxing last week I loved it. And I am going tonight. I will be starting a kickboxing class thursday. I use to do it before I had kids not 4 years later is kicking my butt But I am up for the challange
NikM789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #5  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

I started Iaido last year, but haven't been in quite a long time... I was having some problems not only with time (to go to class) but the hardwood floors and all the kneeling. :-P Not to mention most of the moves start from seiza (Japanese kneeling) and are like 1.5 hours of lunges! I hope to go back after I dump some of the weight and can keep up.

http://www.doshikai.org/ I'm just behind the instructor in the group picture.

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:08 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

Cool, Nikki, I'd like to try just boxing, but we do do a lot of that, and it's probably just the same as what we do, but without kicking people!

Janis, I'd rather try Kendo - you get BIG STICKS! Pretty picture.

I was at training last night and managed to nail some back kicks. Yay! I also tried some travelling side kicks, which were ace! And I just pushed myself quite a bit and almost got down into side splits, which was good because it means that my groin pull has straightened itself out.

What kind of supplementary training do you guys do (if any)? I'm trying to fit in weights and running (I am signed up for races in the spring/summer) and I ended up overtraining the past couple of weeks. After a whole week off, I feel much better though and I'm replanning my exercise routine to ensure that I don't overtrain again.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #7  
Keep going Keep going

OUCH pulled Groin I had my boxing class last night freaking awesome intructor asked if I was angry at someone when I was hitting the bag...LOL He kept yelling yeah thats what I am talking about . I am going to try my first kickboxing class on thursday very happy about that.

I am hoping to try running as soon as I drop more of my weight. My knees does sometimes bother me but I am thinking becuase of the extra weight I have gotten since after the kids. I do some weights not much more cardio.

My instructor told me of a class they have on sundays that combines Martial Arts and Boxing togther. That I should go I was like "what" when he said its none stop for 2 hours ...lol I might try it once in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

Oh two hours! It kills you! I do a double class on Thursdays which is "advanced" (read: Big boys beating the crap outta me!) and then an hour of "ladies only" which is a lot slower! I used to shy away from the ladies class because if ANYTHING was ladies only I wasn't having anything to do with it, because I'm no girly girl! But now I love it, and it's more like a cool down than anything!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #9  
Keep going Keep going

I know what you mean when I was practicing with a girl I was more gentle because she couldn't take my hard punches but when I was practincg with the instuctor I went crazy...LOL I didn't have to take it easy on him he wanted more. aagghhh girly girls. My sister joined to and brought 2 of her friends 1 whines so much I want to punch her..LOL

2 hours does sound like a great work out but I might have to have someone peel me off the floor and carry me to my car...LOL
Old 03-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #10  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I can't join thread yet, but I just wanted to say that the idea of taking martial arts is one of the things that is making my excited to get fit. I am thinking Kendo or Kali, although I'm not sure and will have to see what is available in my area.

What weight do you think I will need to be at to start? 250 maybe? Or less?
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #11  
aka Superwoman!

I think you could start at any weight. It really boosts your weight loss efforts. If you find a supportive club that will help you out and let you go at your own pace there is no reason why you can't join straight away. Some clubs (I'm thinking specifically Karate here) can get a kick out of bullying people to push themselves past the limit of their endurance. Fine if that's what you want, but if you want something a little less hardcore I'd sit in on a class first! Also talk to the instructors and tell them that you want to start off easy, you will be surprised at what you can do already, and when you start seeing improvements there will be no stopping you!

When I started kickboxing, I lost 21lbs in about 3 months. And that was only going once or twice a week!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #12  
Keep going Keep going

I agree with superwoman...LOL You can start at any weight the insturctors are always willing to help. My 1st week of boxing I lost 5 lbs and I didn't even thought I worked that hard. I say as soon as you know you are ready got for it why wait.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #13  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the encouragement. I started really getting active only since January, so I want to give myself a bit more time to build some general strength (I am currently working out at a gym and with a personal trainer). But it is definitely good to know I don't have to wait was long as I thought to start. I do want to be careful not to go somewhere where they will push me past my endurance point too soon. Thanks for that tip.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #14  
Livin' La Vida Mocha

I've been doing "cardio kickboxing" at our YMCA since November 1 and I love it! It's a combo of TaeBo and extreme Pilates. Right now I am nursing a twisted ankle though (OUCH!) so I can't do the kickboxing part for a couple weeks, but I've been doing the floor work. I can't wait to get back in it.
TribeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:24 AM   #15  
aka Superwoman!

Oh yeah cardio kick is good, like Body Combat. I like "extreme Pilates" That sounds... strange!

Perhaps in a few months you might get hungry to punch someone for real? I'm reading a female boxing book and she started off shadow boxing in an aerobics class, and that gave her the hunger to try more boxing. She ended up turning pro (which was probably quite easy in the 90s since you just had to be willing!!).