10 Most Ineffective Exercises

You're on Page 9 of 12
Go to
  • Quote: i didn't know the body could only burn 2lbs of fat a week before going into muscle. Good to know.
    I'm no expert, but I intuitively question this notion. If you have a lot of fat stores (i.e., if you're overweight), why would your body "go into" muscle if you lose more than 2 lbs per week?

F.
  • Quote: Remember - For every one pound of lean muscle you add, your body will burn 30-50 additional calories per day!
    I've heard (from several sources) that it's 6 calories, not 30-50. Just goes to show how hard it is to get accurate information.

F.
  • I'm still going to do side bends not to reduce love handles..but to firm the obliques, and for core work.
  • Hmmmm...
    I've just added in Ab/Ad to my workout and will keep doing them for now. I suffered a calf injury last summer which still bothers me a little bit. I'm very overweight and have just started running again. I don't need to add any extra stress with lunges just yet.

Ab/Ad machines can be great if you're quite heavy because you're working those muscles but not putting any kind of pressure on your joints.

But like the article says - they won't make your thighs skinny. My fitness goal is to play women's rugby in the autumn - so I want to build every muscle as soon as I can. But when my fitness is improved I'll be doing stuff which is more dynamic to build up muscles, strength and power.
  • I never understood why people thought side bends worked in the first place. At most, it gives a good stretch, but you can do that without weights.
  • Dang, I thought I was getting a good workout with the Seated Rotation Machine.

I never felt like I was doing it right though.
  • I'm off to the gym for weights and cardio. I play squash- and get the best workout but find it difficult to get partners.

What is your favorite thing to do on the cardio machines?
  • Oh Ineffective... well Im simply in the wrong thread, never mind.
  • thank's for sharing
  • Hello,
    Thanks for this wonderful post bcoz it's expose lot of thing about excercise that are useless for us!!
  • These are so great! I had no idea straight leg sit ups were ineffective, I had tried them before and completely agree they place so much strain on your lower back that I just couldn't get myself to do them again, glad to know they don't work anyways! Thanks for these! So helpful!
  • great article...I am glad to pass up the abductor/adductor machine from now on...it is kind of tedious. I wish the author included 10 most effective exercises.... has anyone seen such an article?

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
  • My dr told me to use ad/abductor as part of routine to reduce knee pain. So i believe they are great for strengthing muscles. Several said to replace with squats and lunges but i cant do those until my knees get better.
  • Totally agree that crunches/sit ups are useless! It takes something like almost 400,000 to lose one lb of fat. Haha!
  • Wow I had no idea, a lot of those make sense though! Especially with that cardio tapping into your muscle after 60 mins! I work too hard to built up any sort of muscle, I definitely don't want to do anything to take that away! ha thanks for sharing these!