Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #61  

Thanks for the information, it may save me a lot fo time
diana28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:59 PM   #62  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

So... this article made me really depressed. I've spent a lot of time on those exercises and other similar ones that work my muscles. I know you can't spot reduce, but I don't have a ton of extra fat to lose, so isn't it worth it to start toning now so once the fat is gone you can see toned muscles? I always "feel the burn" from the abductor/adductor machines and from side bends - I don't understand how that isn't at least some kind of good sign (as long as it's more soreness than pain/injury).

Also, in the past, I've noticed that the side bends at least have tightened up my waist, or so I thought. Maybe it was wishful thinking, but when I did them a lot I thought my sides felt tighter instead of jiggly? Didn't measure size so I can't comment on that.

So I guess my main question is, aside from the ones in there that they say are dangerous (I've never liked the rotator abs thing anyway, b/c I never felt it in my abs), when should someone start doing the other exercises? 50 pounds from goal weight? 10 pounds from goal weight? Not till they're AT goal weight?

Thanks!
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:53 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Laura, weight training is always a great idea, no matter how far you are from your goal, or whether you're at your goal. I think the point of the original list is to emphasize that spot reducing won't reduce actual fat. But building muscle generally does help to tighten you up (and, long term, reduces fat all over).

I personally think that the original article is a bit dodgy, because it assumes that the ONLY reason someone might work their legs is to spot reduce. That said, lifting weights with a proper program designed to build muscle all over (and for me, as efficiently as possible) is the right thing to do.

If you want help starting a program, post in the main forum. There are lots of people with lots of knowledge with lots of great ideas!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:40 AM   #64  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Thanks, Baffled. I know you can't spot reduce fat but obviously you can "spot tone" which is sometimes what I'm looking to do Any knowledge on whether the side bends do tone up obliques or if those fall under the category of "complete waste of time"?
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #65  

I'm afraid I have no idea.

I will say that the only ab work I do is 3 sets of weighted crunches twice a week on a ball, in the course of my regular workouts, and I'm starting to be able to see my obliques. I think it's from all the other exercises I do, not particularly from the crunches. Those are tiny little muscles and I'm not convinced that they need their own special exercises. Personally, I like the compound exercises that work many muscles all at once. It's much more efficient and you don't find yourself doing crunches all day long.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #66  

Glad I found this, great info..thanks.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #67  

HA! I always just knew it about those hipductor machines!! EVERY woman at the gym does them though, theres always a LINE for that machine... I was always in it...up till now. Thanks!
manchuntd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #68  

This was really worth reading. Thanks for posting the info
missrocky73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:08 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
BUT ... if you're taking long walks or hikes, you're probably not working at that high of an intensity. There's no way that I can walk fast enough to get my heart rate nearly that high - at 4.0 MPH, I barely crack 108, so it's low intensity exercise for me.
thanks for that info. I was just about to say I definitely did more than that last time I lost a lot of weight, and my body composition improved, but I wasn't doing most at my target heart rate, I did a lot of walking and lifting and such. Definitely no more than an hour running per day, anyway. ^_^

Other than that, I am still a bonehead for doing upright rows and behind the neck presses, apparently. lol. I will have to work on that. ^_^

Quote:
Strength training is meant for strengthening and building muscle, not slimming down. I'm assuming this article was meant for women only? I've actually started reading men's weightlifting magazines because of this issue.
Yeah that got me too. I know that women don't build muscle as much or in the same way, but I started reading more online articles aimed for men. Ever since junior high all I've really wanted is some upper body strength. ^_^ And personally I don't care if my thighs are tiny, I'd just as soon have muscles in them again like when I used to run cross country in high school. Those were the days.. [sigh]

But yeah, the article seems to just be saying that spot-reducing doesn't work. I know that. Only time my legs slimmed down noticeably was from running a lot, which was because the muscles were toned and I lost fat from everywhere, not just legs.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

I personally love the Adductor & Abductor Machines. They don't "shrink" my legs, but I definitely feel as if they have made my legs stronger. And if nothing else they've made me more flexible. The one at the gym I go to, I used to only be able to spread my legs to a 5, and after a month on it I can spread to a 6. So I think if nothing else I'm regaining my flexibility that I've lost over the past few years.

I go to Fitzone now [used to go to YMCA], which is kind of like a Curves. What I'm doing must be working because I lost 5.5 inches in my first month!

Those were the only ones on the list that I do.
vertigoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #71  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

OK...I'm trying to digest all of this as I read everyone's posts. I go to Curves and how I interpret this article is as follows:

In order to lose fat and strengthen muscle one must burn more calories than they take in through a reduced calorie meal plan and an increase in physical activity. When one uses stregnth training they are creating more muscle mass. Overall muscle mass increases the metabolism and therefore allows you to burn fat more effectively/efficiently. Using a single machine to "REDUCE" an area is pointless, but using that machine in combination with an entire routine can assist in overall body shaping. Increasing a muscle doesn't do any short-term good if it's covered in a layer of fat but long-term it will help in a number of ways (see above).

Now, with that in mind I'm not going to cancel my membership at Curves since it's not the ad/adductor machine that's bad or ineffective, It's an individual's idea that doing just that machine to reduce the inner/outer thighs that is incorrect. Am I getting this right? I use Curves 3 times a week and even though I skipped a number of workouts ...I've still lost quite a few inches and can feel the muscles under the fat developing. Just this week I have added in an hour of cardio on my stationary bike at home 3 times a week (or twice a week if I get to aquasize once a week) as well in hopes of helping to burn fat a little faster and getting over my current plateau.

Does a routine like that make sense?

Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #72  

I think you're almost right about that Tamara. The problem isn't necessarily the exercise but what it is we expect the exercise to do. That said, spending all day on the in/adductor machine isn't going to do even a tiny portion of the good that doing squats, lunges and/or step-ups would do. To me, it seems like a waste of time to work one angle of a giant muscle when I could just do some squats or lunges and work the entire thing.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #73  

I love the abductor/adductor machines, they're great for giving shape and they helped get me my curvy thighs and bum, and i definitely wouldn't stop using them just because of that article.
beautifulstruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #74  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulstruggle View Post
I love the abductor/adductor machines, they're great for giving shape and they helped get me my curvy thighs and bum, and i definitely wouldn't stop using them just because of that article.
Now that makes me think that exercises effect us all differently then? If it's a waste of time...yet works for you...somethings not adding up!
T
hat was a great article..thanks for posting.
TimesOnMySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #75  

I think this thread should be made as a personal opinion, not a fact.
fat4awhile is offline   Reply With Quote