Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #31  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

6k on the treadmill this morning in 30 minutes. Dull dull dull. But tomorrow I'll hopefully manage to get outside for my 5 mile run to make it a bit more interesting!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:06 AM   #32  

Height: 5'7"

Ilene, are you still training for that tri? Ironman Arizona happened up the road a bit from me this weekend, and now I'm all inspired again.

Of course, I have to actually beat this cough and get back out on the road again! DD got sent home from daycare with yet another fever, so now I'm bracing for the next wave.

Anne
Old 04-12-2006, 01:37 PM   #33  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Anne, thanks for asking about the tri, but I'm not sure about it at all... The swimming scares me, I can barely make it through two laps in the pool which is only 50m and the swimming for this tri is in the RIVER and 300m... I still haven't decided yet, but it's in August so I have a ways to go to make a decision ... I'm a chicken

Yesterday I ran 9k with the girls and although I did NOT feel like it at all it was a good run although slow... Today no running but hit the gym and am now washing windows, it's soooo gorgeous out...
Old 04-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #34  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I ran about 5.7 miles outside this morning, which was far nicer than doing it on the treadmill. I think I'll be doing 3 - 4 miles tomorrow (probably on the treadmill) then nothing over the weekend because I'm off to Amsterdam for a break over Easter. I could take my running kit... but I don't think I will
Old 04-13-2006, 09:53 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Ok ladies, I've joined a beginning running program again. I did it last year and it didn't take. Once I completed my 5k (in a whopping 44 minutes-yes I did run it) I developed some knee pain and sort of stopped running.

I know that the knee pain is probably from bad shoes or not as good as I should have bought. Problem is my dh is adament that we stick to a budget all the time and $100 pair of shoes just doesn't fit in the budget. I splurged a couple years ago and went to a real running store and was fitted. Came out with a pair that only cost $89.00. I got the "I stay within our budget, I don't go out and buy expensive things and I expect you to respect....yadda, yadda, yadda" Guilt, guilt guilt. Ok, ok.

So question is- How do you find a good running shoe at the outlets? I'm looking to find good enough shoes around $50.00. At this point I'm only running probably 5 miles a week, later it will get up to 10-15 if my knees hold out.

I had been getting them at JC Penny when they have their 50% off sales plus a I have a 20% off coupon... but I was told at a stride clinic I went to that I chosen low end shoes. Shoot, I was going by how they felt and how expensive they were before sale price.

Oops, I getting long winded.

What do you think?
Sarah
Old 04-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #36  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I did another 6.3k on the treadmill this morning, now I'm having the weekend off in Amsterdam with no running til Tuesday. Have a good Easter everyone!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:58 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Happy Easter!

I did 4 quick miles on the treadmill yesterday and just found out there is a 5-k run pretty near here set for next weekend so now I've got some motivation not to skip any runs this week.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #38  
Ilene the Bean

Sarah -- What I have been told by a foot doctor is that unless it's a specialty store, ie. a running store, places like Walmart just don't sell quality stuff... This is what I have been told, and maybe he was just trying to sell me a pair of 200$ shoes , *I* don't listen to my DH's budget talks ... Do you take some Glucosamine for your knee pain? I find it really helps me...

I ran 10.2k today...
Old 04-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Hi Ilene,
Yes, I know that the really cheap shoes are bad-payless, walmart, kmart and target. I was thinking more in line with the outlets Nike, Adidas, New Balance stores that have a ton of last seasons shoes lining the walls.
And you are right, I may have to just ignore the budget lecture and go for it this year. Because in the long run it's cheaper then going to the doctor.

Sarah
Old 04-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #40  

Did 7.25 miles yesterday running a new route in the 90 degree temps. At least I got a bit of a tan! Tonight I am planning on a quick 2-miles again.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #41  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Sarah, Can you try going to a running shop, trying on shoes and finding the ones that you like, then buying the one pair there. For future pairs you could buy them online using froogle and save money that way. I did buy one pair online (saving a good chunk of money), but I figure that I don't spend much $ on myself in general, but my feet/legs and general physical health are worth the money for shoes that work for me.

I had a great Easter weekend running wise. We drove 800+kms to visit my parents on Thursday. Then Friday, dh and I ran a local 10 mile race. He finished in just over 1:20 and I finished in 1:24:49. My goal time was under 1:25, partly as an experiment in what my goal time should be for the 1/2 marathon I'm doing in 3 weeks, so I was thrilled to meet my time goal on what turned out to be a double loop full of small rolling hills. Saturday I ran a very slow recovery 6km and Sunday 10k easy. I took today off since we had to drive all the way home. Back to my regularly scheduled training plan tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #42  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Me
Sarah, Can you try going to a running shop, trying on shoes and finding the ones that you like, then buying the one pair there. For future pairs you could buy them online using froogle and save money that way. I did buy one pair online (saving a good chunk of money), but I figure that I don't spend much $ on myself in general, but my feet/legs and general physical health are worth the money for shoes that work for me.
Sarah I was going to suggest that too ...
Old 04-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #43  

Only Me--Congrats on your race time! That is great and I am sure you will do wonderfully in the half-marathon as well.

No running on the agenda for me today but did my lower body weights this morning so I think that's enough lol.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #44  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I'm back, I did 8.75k this morning, hoping for a good week of running this week!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #45  
Ilene the Bean

Running 9.5K with the girls in a little while, it's a gorgeous sunny day here ... I went to the gym for back/bis too, plus I washed windows this afternoon... Life is gooooood!!
Closed Thread