Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-23-2006, 12:38 AM   #1  
My Incentive Pic

S/C/G: 175/166/150

Height: 5'4"

Default yoga

how does yoga fit in to the exercize picture?
littlegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:59 AM   #2  

I've just started yoga. I do a lot of cardio and strength training, and for me yoga is part of developing overall strength relying just on myself, no external bits of equipment, and most importantly to regain some body awareness.

I've lost a good bit of weight now, and my clothes sizes have changed dramatically from a US 22 - 24 to a 12 - 14.

I feel a bit out of touch with this new body, and I still have a lot of changes to go, and feel that I need to learn where I am now, and where I am going to make sure I never gain weight again.

Yoga alone won't burn fat, but it's a useful addition to an overall exercise programme, and it's very relaxing!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:09 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yoga provides strength and flexibility training. Flexibility is useful for providing the most out of your other workouts as well as preventing injury. Certain yoga moves rely on your strength as well. It also can be very relaxing and thus provide a stress reliever which is just overall enhancing.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #4  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I would love to do yoga, but confused on whether yoga DVDs are worth it. There is no Y or yoga studio near me and I don't have the time or inclination to drive 30 minutes to get to one.

I've always pictured yoga as something that was as much about atmosphere and attitude as it was about moves and positions. Can you get the true yoga experience at home, without the soft lights and music and a bona fide instructor to check your positions?

And, if I were to try to incorporate yoga, what would it replace? Would I substitute a yoga session for a strength session? Or for a cardio? I don't have time to just add yoga to what I'm currently doing.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #5  

At your weight I would recommend replacing a strength session with yoga rather than cardio, coz like me, you probably need as many cardio minutes as you can manage, to burn the fat.

I have a little room in our house which is a junk room, which I am going to convert into a yoga/relaxation room. I doubt it will be the same as doing it with my teacher in our posh studio with a giant buddha and nice matting and soft lighting, but I will have a pink yoga mat
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #6  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I went to one yoga class abut 6 years ago, and absolutely loved it. I think it must have been an advanced class, because I was totally out of my element and couldn't do any of the poses, but I tried my very best!

I was sore sore sore for 2 days following! But I really enjoyed the atmosphere, even if I was the most awkward one there.

The problem is/was, the studio was a 30 minute drive from here.

I can't remember, does regular yoga (not Bikram yoga) make you sweaty and/or stinky after? Or would I be able to leave class and go mingle with society without offending? That makes a big difference.

I'm sooooo tempted to go find a class! I wish there was one close...
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #7  
My Incentive Pic

S/C/G: 175/166/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Exercize/yoga room

I have a room with just my treadmill in it and thats what I plan on doing getting a dvd player and a good beginners yoga dvd and doing it on my own.
Ive never really been one for social exercize or sweating, and I know I would never keep going to a class. I found a good web page with beginners yoga I like alot for free for 2 weeks then you can buy a dvd. Its called yogalearningcenter.com. It really is awesome. I think it will help with stress which I have alot of.
littlegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:27 PM   #8